When do we reach the bottom of the dip? (2022-24 Edition)

https://www.etf.com/etfanalytics/etf-finder

Features: Inverse

2 Likes

What a surprise! Turns out there’s still Covid in China and the population is fed up with it. Next, the market will discover that, against all expectations, people do actually use energy during the winter and that core CPI stable at 6% for various lengths of time doesn’t mean that inflation is going down no matter what the media say

/sarcasm.

4 Likes

You don’t understand! Iphones are in danger!

Like they weren’t before. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, this brings out my gambling instincts and I’m back with a short position (still net long when all is said and done).

Not exactly low TER (which is why you should avoid it but I’m in a playful mood tonight) but SARK could be a fun place to be in. Speaking of which, ARKK is now beaten by the S&P500 since inception.

Edit: Sorry if this sounds disrespectful for the protesters in China. They have suffered a lot and I wish them that the craziness stops.

2 Likes

Well timed :grimacing:

Eh, mainly pure luck and it could totally have gone the other way but I got out yesterday at close. My guess was that today would have been a down day, so I could totally have gotten caught in it, but I didn’t like the oscillating the NASDAQ composite was doing.

I’m still globally down 25% on those gambles, and I’m probably slowly learning that I can’t profit from those but I’ll probably need some more ironing and potential losses before that’ll be truly imprinted in me.

2 Likes

I find it psychologically too hard too short, I have instead been rotating into sectors that are doing well in this general downtrend, like energy-, pharma- and insurance. I see no need to buy the whole market.

1 Like

I find it psychologically draining too. I find shorting akin to getting out of the market (selling all assets) on leverage (selling more than we actually have). Leverage removes any cap on our downside we may have had, and the upside is capped by the level of actual leverage we are willing to use. The risk profile of the investment is far, far worse than that of a long position with unlimited upside and capped downside.

I find casual shoots of “if you’re so sure of the market going down, why don’t you short it?” to be off the mark. It requires more than just conviction to short, it also requires a very high willingness and ability to take risk. Not everybody (and I would guess actually very few people) have it.

I would compare it to a statement of “if you can handle the volatility of a 100% stocks position, why not take it further and bet it all on cryptos?” The two investments don’t have the same risk profile. Same with shorting and sitting in cash.

4 Likes

A little off topic. There is a documentary on netflix Dirty Money – S01 E03 Drug Short.

An episode on a fund shorting valeant, quite interesting, not just the facts around valeant but all the research that went prior shorting. Plus in the US you also need to communicate what you are shorting if you are professional

3 Likes

Wasn’t that Bill Ackmann?

1 Like

Nah, he lost big time, 2-3 billions. Episode summary: Dirty Money - S01 E03 Drug Short - Cadence Capital

1 Like

At least now we start to get a (tiny) yield on our cash deposit, it makes it a bit easier to wait for a better re-entry

3 Likes

No! Before July your 0 interest rate account was yielding 0.75% above the risk free rate. Now you can get the risk free rate on cash CHF deposits if you are lucky.

2 Likes
3 Likes

My benchmark (and now I add: for the accumulation phase that I am now in) remains “MSCI ACWI IMI Net total Return in CHF”, but I have figured out how to get from MSCI these data already calculated in CHF, and that’s what I am going to use. Hardly any difference to the course of the market described above, just different numbers.

A quick recapitulation of some key pivots.
Last ATH, 16.11.2021, already 14 months ago: 1947.97 CHF

After that my benchmark was zigzagging down in a downward channel, with lower lows and lower highs, like in a textbook of technical analysis.

3.12.2021: 1836.22 CHF, -5.7% from ATH.
3.01.2022: 1918.04 CHF, -1.5% from ATH.
25.01.2022: 1773.806 CHF, -8.9% from ATH.
9.2.2022: 1865.79, -4.2% from ATH.
8.3.2022: 1683.202 CHF, -13.6% from ATH.
Some fast forward
20.6.2022: 1573.44 CHF, -19.2% from ATH.
16.8.2022: 1748.164 CHF, -10.3% from ATH.
30.09.2022: 1522.11 CHF, -21.9% from ATH.
30.11.2022: 1683.08 CHF, -13.6% from ATH.
28.12.2022: 1561.776 CHF, -19.8% from ATH.

So, my benchmark was zigzagging in a downward channel (lower lows and lower highs) until December, and the time between two lows was around 3-4 months. However in December a new low was not lower than the previous one. All major indices show a very similar picture.

Now I can make my forecast: if in next two months we won’t get a new low lower than the September’s/October’s one, we might had already left the bottom behind us. It would be even better if we come back to a new high, which is higher than end of November’s/December’s one. That would correspond to the second zig (zig higher - zag lower - zig higher) in an upward channel, and one can expect that many technically-oriented traders and bots will jump into the party.

4 Likes

I agree: VWRL is now making higher lows, all negative news like earnings compression seem to have been priced in already and trend looks like it might reverse soon

Emerging markets and Europe look like they have already bottomed, NASDAQ might have another leg down

3 Likes

And then there are “prophets” like Marks that believe some “sea change” coming ahead still.

1 Like

Are they?

The consensus estimate on the S&P500, for instance, seems to be new record earnings this year.

1 Like

Source? :slight_smile:

Stocks didn’t rally because financial conditions eased, financial conditions eased because the stock market rallied

Bank of America’s Subramanian Says S&P 500 Earnings Risk a 10% Drop in 2023 | Barron's

https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/documents/additional-material/sp-500-eps-est.xlsx