Mustachian phone plan

I don’t know about central Zurich, but I’m quite happy with Salt as my mobile internet plan.
Better coverage than Sunrise on my route (though that may be skewed by my tablet’s better antenna / wireless system).

1 Like

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask, but I’ll give it a shot.

Does anyone of you know what is the best phone plan if you also have to call people/customers in Europe? Currently, I have yallo superfat XXL (discounted Black Friday deal) which includes all calls to Europe/US/Canada and has unlimited roaming (40GB cap) for 41.- That’s a pretty good deal, from my point of view.

Now the BUT: when I call customers in EU, I often have the problem that the line is breaking sometimes and customers can’t hear me. It happens quite frequently, with people in different countries. It’s definitely not my phone (just got a new one), and the network coverage is also very good.

I have the same issue with customers in Switzerland as well when I use the yallo SIM to call them, especially if the customers are using Swisscom. If I call my girlfriend on her yallo phone (yallo to yallo), everything is fine.

I have another SIM card from Swisscom (oneMobile go for business), which includes everything in Switzerland, unlimited (40GB) roaming in EU and unlimited calls in EU. This one is rather expensive at 80.- per month. If I want to have calls to EU included as well, I would have to pay 20.- more per month. So far, I didn’t want to pay those 20.- Side note: you really have to read the fine print thoroughly from Swisscom. EU to EU is fine, CH to CH is fine, but not CH → EU.

I looked at Wingo already, but didn’t find a plan which has both calls included as well as unlimited internet.

I know my approach is not very mustachian here, but I need an internet connection for my work, and I had several issues when using yallo only. So it’s better to have both Swisscom and Sunrise network. Also had it the other way around before: Swisscom f**king up massively and not being able to call anyone for several hours.

Any ideas are welcomed

Hello ! If you are patient enough, QoQa is offering every december their QoQa x Sunrise mobile monthly subscription for 39 CHF which include:

In Switzerland

• Unlimited national calls, SMS and MMS in Switzerland
  • Unlimited international calls to Europe, the US and Canada (Region 1)
  • Unlimited Highspeed Internet with 4G+ and 5G

In Europe, the US and Canada (Region 1 roaming)

• Unlimited calls, SMS and MMS in Region 1 (incoming and outgoing)
  • Unlimited internet (including 40 GB of high-speed internet, then download: 256 kbit/s / upload: 128 kbit/s)

For the 2021 offer, they also include a CHF 10 in QoQa cashback for every month that you stay in Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Austria, Germany, France, Italy, Spain and/or Portugal.

It is by far the best offer, I had it during 2018 - 2020 and had no issue.

In 2021, I was with Digitec Connect, their mobile network is good, except for communiting… Lot of disconnection to Internet and low speed. Now I’ve subscribed to Wingo and I will see if it is better. If not, I will probably take the QoQa x Sunrise offer in december 2022.

1 Like

Thanks Yanikuza! I already have the same conditions you mentioned with yallo, which is using Sunrise network. Still, it’s possible that Sunrise itself is offering a better quality in terms of network. Shouldn’t be the case, but it could be. I pay 41.- for yallo superfat XXL, which includes all the conditions you mentioned.

I should have been more specific I guess. Is there another option on Swisscom network which includes unlimited calls (national, international - EU mainly) and unlimited internet for roaming (40GB)?

Well I’m asking myself about that because Digitec Connect use the Sunrise network, however the quality isn’t the same, despite I’m using the same iPhone 8 since 2018 when I was with Sunrise and communting. My guess is that, in crowd influence, Sunrise is limiting its network for their MVNO provider in order to make them move to Sunrise or just to deliver a better services to their direct client. Will it be the same with Wingo which use Swisscom network ? Maybe.

I guess with Salt, but it will be probably more expensive: Mobile | Salt.

From what I read and also heard from friends, quality of Salt network is inferior. So unfortunately it’s not an option for me.

I checked Wingo, and the european plan (Wingo Europe) is not cheaper than the Swisscom original. You pay 78.- per month, and you still don’t have calls from CH to EU included. If you want to have it included, you pay another 20.- on top (same as with Swisscom original).

Actually, the Wingo Europe is even worse than the Swisscom inOne Mobile GO. Only 20GB roaming in EU with Wingo compared to 40GB with Swisscom.

I guess I have to swallow the high costs…

1 Like

Maybe a SIP phone number would be cheaper? You could use a client on your phone and use it over mobile data. (I can’t really recommend a provider though, it was just an idea.)

Thanks for the idea. I might have a look at it. Last time I checked the quality using SIP was not that good, but it’s been years already.

1 Like

I recently looked for a new SIP provider for my home VoIP phone and settled on https://peoplephone.ch. Their prices are among the lowest I’ve found, and their console UI is modern compared with others I’ve seen. So far so good.

2 Likes

I just switched to coop mobile with their deal at the end of the year and while it doesn’t meet your needs @FIREstarter , I wanted to just confirm that I’ve seen zero difference from before when I was a direct Swisscom client, so they don’t seem to be doing this on their side….not yet anyway. Super happy to pass to 15chf/month from 40 chf :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Quick update:
mbudget mobile costs now 14.50/m (for two years only etcetc…) with 4gb/m and you can add 10chf/16chf for a year of data roaming of 0.5/1gb. (in “Europe”)

1 Like

I was talking about the general network, I simply don’t have any connection. Once I have network, there is no issue with the call quality. So, I can still confirm that after it’s been in use for 3 months that the problem remains. I have the latest Google Pixel Pro, so I hope that’s not the issue but cannot rule it out either?!

I guess you get what you pay for (10 CHF for an all-in flat sounded to good to be true), but I will switch to Yallo by the end of this month.

Most - or all - roaming data packages are now valid for a year (I vaguely remember it being some agreement between carriers and the Preisüberwacher or something).

Worth to keep in mind when getting a new subscription.

Choosing a less subscription without roaming data allowance and then adding an optional roaming data package for a year may often cost less than subscribing to a more expensive subscription that includes roaming data you’ll rarely need. And it’s still more convenient than using a separate travel SIM.

3 Likes

I didn’t find any information about it. Maybe I didn’t check well enough. I checked lebara and salt.
They might be obfuscating it by adding recurring payments plan.

https://www.talktalk.ch/fr/lp/deindeal.html

Swiss flat for 11 CHF per month.
Does any of you can provide a feedback about talk talk ? Is ebill available ?
Thanks !

Data is limited to 40gb a month and gets throttled afterwards. Also advertising unlimited everything and then stating this in the fine print is bullshit so I would keep some distance to talktalk AND you are trapped with a 24 month contract which is just outdated nowadays.

1 Like

I’m happy with them. There isn’t eBill, bit they have LSV.

I know 2 people very happy as well, my contract with them will start in August. PM me if you want a referral code.

Apart from not so nice beginning described above (Mustachian phone plan - #485 by baldur), I’m so far happy with them - they do have eBill (this is how I pay for it).