What platform do you use to buy Bitcoin?

Thank you for your answer. So I go to Wallet/Fiat and spot/Deposit and then select the currency and the deposit method. I read you fund your account with Revolut, Do you use SEPA or Bank Card (+1.8% fee) ?

The reason you’re choosing to fund in EUR instad of USD is because you cannot use Revolut with USD, right ?

Yes, exactly, I used SEPA. It is normally very fast (less than one day, sometimes minutes). I haven’t tried USD to be honest, but I wouldn’t expect it to be as practical as EUR.

1 Like

Great ! thank you Olen

Guys, I finally decided to open an account in Coinbase for crypto, however I am already regretting it… explanation below

The app crashed already several times during the initial verification process and I simply couldn’t move a step ahead in the process no matter / whatever I was trying before.

Finally after three weeks or so I tried again - and just randomly like that suddenly it worked! Passport validation successful and account opened. However when I was trying to add a payment method from bank account in CHF it will not allow me to select bank deposit in CHF but only in EURO (and maybe in USD if I remember correctly) which is terrible from my point of view…

For those ones from Switzerland who have a Coinbase account are you depositing money on CHF or in EURO?

Then I realised that my country/address in Coinbase was not Switzerland - which was wrong. I tried to correct that, I followed every step as they described again and again their process simply does not work and loops back again and again to the same bug. So, in order to be able to change my country I had to pass again ID verification process, I did it again successfully updated uploaded a second ID for verification as they instructed me to do so, but again when I return back to the page for changing my country the process loops again and again the same and asks me to follow again ID verification steps…

I send an email to their customer support, no reply 4 days now…

Having said all that I feel really pissed off from Coinbase (please correct me if something wrong in my thinking process and the above as described sounds normal) and I will go with another platform which I would like to be:

1. user friendly - as little bugs as possible and easy to trade -
  2. deposit in CHF possible
  3. variety of crypto currency
  4. fees

So…I am looking now at Binance and at Bitpanda.

Binance seems to be the best app however there are people claiming that CHF deposit is not possible and that causes extreme fees for deposits from Swiss banks plus its kind of complicated for the very beginner…

Bitpanda on the other hand seems to be user friendly, simple and easy just the variety of the cryptos I think is not as large as in the other platforms…

Any thoughts on this please?

I always recommend Kraken for the simplicity, security, and possibility to deposit CHF. If you want to avoid all KYC, Hodlhodl is also a good place (I can create a CHF offer if you want).

If you end-up still using Coinbase, make sure to use the Pro version (you access it in one click) as it has lower fees.

Hello, i’am using Swissborg since December 2020 and i’m very satisfied. One day to deposit CHF, for withdrawal i received the same day, and the platform is very user friendly.(i never tried another platform to compare).

I would also recommend Kraken as a go to exchange. Legit team behind it, perfect trackrecord security wise and possibility to deposit in CHF.

Binance is also a safe bet + they offer access to a ton of altcoins. And the only time they suffer from a hack, no customer got impacted by it (Your fund are SAFU! as the meme says).
Recently there was even a case where one of the altcoin we could buy from their plateform (COVER if i remember correctly) got compromised. And they offered a refund for their clients who suffered a loss because of it, even if they had no responsability in this case. Pretty classy.

Hello,

I decided to give Kraken a shot. I’m just confused as there are two different apps (kraken crypto and kraken pro).

Not sure about the difference. Also a few comments about people getting hacked on the kraken crypto one.

Any thoughts about that?
Thanks

Is there a platform where you can trade TeslaCoin (TES)?
Given the recent news it could be any idea (before some celebrity tweets about it)…

I don’t use the app, but you can chat with their support. They are very responsive.

Concerning the alleged hacks it is difficult to comment without details. You should certainly use 2FA. If you use in addition their extra security features like the Global Settings Lock, I am very doubtful your assets can be stolen, even in the event of a hack.

So basically the panacea of crypto exchanges - needs to be everything but secure?

They seem to offer SEPA deposits for a cost of 0.80€.
Your Swiss bank might also charge you 0.30 CHF for such transfer.
And maybe 1% in currency exchange.

That‘s anything but „extreme“ in fees.

Sorry I don’t use the apps either, as long as you use the ones from “Payward, Inc” you should be fine when it comes to hacking.

This.

What is great about Kraken is that you can set-up your account with all the funding and withdrawal details (link to your Bank account here in CH and any other crypto-wallet in your possession) and then you lock it.

The feature of this locking is that even if a hacker steal your access, he won’t be able to add a new withdrawal address without Unlocking your account. And this process takes multiple days which reduce big time the risk of losing everything.

While they might prevent theft through hacking your personal devices and/or compromising your personal account, history tells us one should (rather?) worry about the platform itself getting hacked.

we were referring to the claim above stating “comments about people getting hacked”.

For hacking in general and if you hold a large deposit (whatever it means for you) in an exchange, it is always safer to use a multisig setup.

But for Kraken indeed, once you have all the “locks” activated, it is pretty hard to lose your coins!

Guys, I really I didn’t intend to argue about this… I guess everyone’s requirements for that might be subjective…

I plan neither to invest a huge amount of money in this platform nor to spend hours for understanding how to trade, how to make a deposit, how wallets are working etc… so for this reason I put up my personal criteria.

Furthermore I don’t have an objective benchmark for myself to “measure” how safer can be one platform compared to another… while you can fairly easily check how user friendly a platform is or about the fees for example…

Except the fees from SEPA in another currency you have additional fees from your bank when you deposit from a CHF account money in EURO… (not to mention the terrible exchange rate they offer you, not to mention that it might take longer for the deposit to be visible etc…)

If you have an option to deposit money from
CHF to CHF, I don’t understand why you shouldn’t go for it and select to deposit EUR from a CHF account…

Well… what can I say? I sometimes like arguing. :man_shrugging:t2:

Of course everyone’s requirements and criteria (or concerns) relating to choice of trading platform are subjective. But in the end, this is an online forum, where opinions aren’t only shared among two or three discussant or users active in this very thread. It will be “consumed” by other silent readers, possibly many more (we’ve seen it regarding the active trader status). And some of them might act on advice given here. As such, I find it reasonable and appropriate to chime in and share my opinion, even if doesn’t directly address the question.

I am a proponent of focusing on what really matters.

And here’s the thing:

1. Bitcoin is one of the most volatile (“real” underlying) assets you can buy. It has risen more than two thirds (39%) over the last 30 days alone, and more than 300% over the last 12 months.
  2. You intent to invest not "a huge amount of money".

In this light, are you really going to worry about the 0.30 CHF SEPA transfer fees your Swiss bank charges? Or should you still worried about the “terrible” exchange rate they are going to offer you, with a spread of typically …how much? 1%? …or 1.5%?

Everyone might have their own opinion on that. I still think it’s not very reasonable to worry about small one-time fees …on what’s not a huge amount money. Unless you’re waging your own personal war against banks and the banking system that has screwed you over. Or… you are doing these kinds of bank transfers regularly and/or for larger amounts.

Now, I’m often a cheapskate myself. If I have the choice to make a funds transfer or deposit money into a trading account, I will go to some lengths to get the best “bang(k) for my buck” and optimise on transfer and transaction costs. And if I have the choice of saving on transferring money, I will do that. I find that perfectly reasonable.

However, if one is going to invest…

1. a “small” amount of money
  2. into a very speculative and volatile asset
  3. through an exchange platform dedicated to such (mainly/only crypto) assets and
  4. do this only occasionally

I would not base the choice of exchange/trading platform on these incidental and negligible fees.

From personal experience, EUR SEPA transfers to EU bank accounts that I have have been same-day.

1 Like

Yes, totally agree with most of what you say.

The only thing is that personal experience differs significantly from person to person!

I can definitely tell you that from my personal experience my SEPA transfers in EURO never get executed in the same day and the exchange fees are not so negligible…

I have also personal experiences from platforms that other guys inside here describe as “state of the art” and super smooth for opening an account and trading where for me simply didn’t work and the opposite as well…

So what can I say, everything comes down to our individual experiences and preferences.

@olen . I am currently using Kraken, and I am considering moving fully to Binance to benefit from trailing orders.

How do you convert CHF to deposit EUR. Do you have a streamline process to do it? Or getting EUR is not an issue for you.

I was considering using Revolut, but it’s limited and the process is not fully automatized.