What platform do you use to buy Bitcoin?

I might mix platforms up but I heard about issues withdrawing funds from eToro.

Do you recall what issues you heard about? I know there’s a 5 USD fee per withdraw and you can only trade in USD but that’s not a big issue for me.
Currently I am using eToro Virtual Account (Play/Fake Money) to get used to the platform and learn about it. It has a very friendly UI and I am enjoying playing with it. Now I was planning to put some real money and buy small amounts of Crypto from time to time (like 1-2% of my portfolio), however if I cannot withdraw it I will look somewhere else.

I think it was something due to the bad reviews on TrustPilot:
https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.etoro.com

1 Like

Thanks a lot
 I have read those before, but to be honest a lot of those reviews seem fake to me as several of them say similar things like “eToro is bad and I could not get my money back until a friend introduced me to ‘random-name at gmail . com’ [or www . recovery fund . com] and he helped me, thank God”

So, these reviews look to me more like scam advertising :slight_smile:

@3rdmonkey have you actually tried it? What’s your experience?

I’m happy with them for now
 Binance is one of the biggest exchanges, while I haven’t ever heard from eToro 9 months ago.

I also use Binance and transfer to a cold wallet. Easy on the web or mobile app. they also much lower fees than Coinbase

@GdOeS I am using it since quiet a few months now. All seems to work great. But i didn’t withdraw money yet. I seems there is a fee of $5.

I was wondering how other people trade with crypto in switzerland. There is an offer from Swissquote. But they don’t have many cryptocurrencies, only the big ones.

1 Like

90% of the others are a short-lived fad / crap / scam / Ponzi scheme anyway.

Probably more. Sure, you may make a quick hype on them, fueled by internet-induced hype and bonus systems. But that’s just short-term speculation. Swissquote currently a dozen cryptocurrencies - that’s at least twice the number of currencies that will stay relevant for investment purposes over the long term.

3 Likes

Thank you for your comment. Does anyone have experience with transferring crypto from one platform to another? You need to put your cryptos in a wallet and then from the wallet to the other platform (like Swissquote or Binance etc.), right?

Yes.
And you would probably be better off keeping them in your wallet unless you want to day trade.

Hello,
Is Swissquote really offering any kind of warranty in case of a hack on their side?
Here’s a piece of their T&C where, as far as I my understanding goes, they pretty much say that if anything happens they hold no liability whatsoever.

Is there anything that I missed?

I think you have well understood, they hold no liability whatsoever, but I think it is rather usual for exchanges generally speaking and I would be surprised if it is not exactly the same for Coinbase/Kraken/Binance and co.

Sometimes it makes sense (e.g. if you send your btc to a wrong address) and sometimes it does not (e.g. if they are hacked).

That’s why we usually suggest to either remove all your Bitcoins from exchanges once purchased or to only leave a small amount if you want to trade.

Thanks for your answer. So swissquote doesn’t really have anything better to offer than kraken security wise ? (Unless you are an active trader and leave your btc on the exchange)

Exactly, Kraken is actually known for its advanced security, that’s why I am personally using it. Once you have all their security settings on, you are in a good spot already.

I started investing in cryptocurrencies in 2017 and since then I tested different platforms.

Ordered alphabetically:

• Binance: my preferred platform for pure crypto-crypto pairs. High liquidity and you can find a very large choice of cryptocurrencies. Low fees of 0.1%, even lower if you hold some of the Binance cryptocurrency BNB. For some time it has been possible to buy from or sell to EUR, deposit and withdrawal are cheap and fast with my Revolut account. The platform is nice and user-friendly. My referral link.
  • Bitstamp: possibility to use euros, somewhat okay, but no real advantage compared to other platforms.
  • Cex: Offers possibility to use euros, but I find it a bit shady and some banks refuse payments to/from it. No advantage compared to other exchanges, so I don’t use it anymore.
  • Coinbase: For users who want to be able to click on a single button to buy or sell. User-friendly and all, but I do not recommend it because the fees are quite high.
  • Coinbase Pro: Actually related to Coinbase, but gives more control with lower fees. However, Last year they increased the trade fees to 0.5%, which is very high compared to the other platforms.
  • Kraken: Offers quite many fiat/crypto pairs, especially CHF. The platform is okay, but especially for the CHF pairs the spreads may be quite large. Fees for small investors will be of roughly 0.26%. Revolut refused withdrawals from Kraken, but I was able to deposit/withdraw CHF with my Neon account.
  • KuCoin: okay but in my eyes, it has no real advantage compared to Binance.
  • Lykke: Swiss-based exchange with no trade fees but sometimes with large spreads. Offers CHF, EUR and other fiat currencies in addition to the main cryptocurrencies.

As a summary, I am now happily using a mix of Kraken, Lykke and Binance.

3 Likes

Kraken offer for me the best ratio simplicity / cost / CHF pair.

Hello guys, do you know if Degiro offers also bitcoin/crypto trading?

For a very amateur investor for crypto for small amounts/testing on cryptocurrencies (also like dogecoing etc) which platform would you suggest?

I would like mostly user friendliness, simplicity and lowest possible fees

Thanks a lot!

Hello, no Bitcoin nor other coins on Degiro but I think they have a few trackers.

I always recommend Kraken for everyone and similarly to others in this thread, they have lots of advantages. By the way, Dogecoin is a meme, proceed with extra caution.

Welcome to the crypto world!

1 Like

What’s your process to buy BTC on Binance ? I don’t quite understand how Binance works and what’s different from Coinbase.

I watched several videos and saw people doing the following

In the “buy crypto” tab select the currency (ex: CHF) and use Revolut/Credit card to pay (I assume Revolut is cheaper?)

AT this stage, do you buy BTC directly ? I saw some people buying USDT first and then trading it on the platform for BTC.

I would recommend to select the “Classic” option when trading. This gives you much more control. This requires funding your account with EUR or other (crypto)currencies first though.
More control because you can select exactly how much you want to buy at which price. If you want to buy bitcoin but at a lower price than the current one, the order you place will be what is called a “limit order” that will only be executed if the price drops accordingly. This way of trading may require some time to get used to, though.

1 Like