Want a cheaper Internet Provider. Your advice please?

Technically you are correct - yes, there is a shared switch placed by Init7 in the so called PoP (point of presence, distribution switchboard in your local town or city district) which is in turn connected with a minimum of 100 Gbit/s to the IP backbone/datacenter of Init7.

The difference is that Swisscom, Salt, Sunrise, etc. use the 10G-PON standard, where a 10 Gbit/s fibre is then shared between 32 clients in the local PoP.

Anecdotally you typically almost always get the full 1 Gbit/s with Init7, whilst the other providers are pretty far from that.

edit: source on Init7 100 Gbit/s PoP infra, activate “nerdmode”

3 Likes

I also like Fiber7.

But if you want to watch linear TV and you need multicast it’s somewhat frustrating that they’ve been having issues in Zurich, Basel and Luzern for over a year and really don’t seem to care: The ticket has been open for over a year now.

are you sure? i thought it is as follows: A fiber network which is build in a point to point topology (meaning from PoP there is one dedicated fiber to every home) can be operated with 10GPON technology but still every home has its dedicated line. and almost all FTTH in switzerland is build in point to point. only recently swisscom switched to a point to multipoint topology for newly build FTTH. however they stopped the rollout due to an ongoing WEKO trail.

I think the issue here is Swisscoms FTTS/FTTC rollout. Where they have a Fibre to Copper converter element in the streets/neighborhood distribution units. Those lines can not be easily rented out and therefore give Swisscom leverage to ask horrendous prices and keep internet speeds low.

What about this offer:

Any experience? Seems a good offer

1 Like

@Giff has already mentioned it in Internet advice - #12 by Giff

I’ve ordered it. Seems like an exceptionally good offer, especially as it’s a lifetime discount. And I don’t have Fiber available at my place anyway, so cable is the best possible connection.

I went for it, it‘s a third of what I‘m paying now for just internet. Might make a bit of money selling the old router as well, don‘t expect the current provider to ask for it back.

Barely used TV in all my offers, and even if I did, 90% of it was in replay, however I might just stick to Netflix and use the RTS player for certain sports events after these upcoming news:

• TV consortium : Guys, we need more money and audience, what do you propose ?
  • Random guy : What about raising our price about “replay”, we could earn a lot shit of money !
  • TV consortium : This is a great idea ! Raised his salary.
  • Smart random guy : Do we not shoot ourself by doing this ? Because people will just get rid of taking a TV subscription from their provider ?
  • TV consortium : You are stupid, this will never happens !

Cough cough cough

4 Likes

If you plan to change your internet subscription to Salt, make sure you order it from the day BEFORE you’ll really need it because they will only enable your connection between 16:00 and 24:00 of the first day of subscription (which I suppose one pays in full though).

All Sunrise Internet subscriptions are currently CHF 29/month. Speed is either 100 Mbit/s, 500 Mbit/s or 10 Gbit/s.

Does anybody know the expiry date of that offer?
What is the experience with Sunrise DSL? Uptime? Latency?

1 Like

If you can wait, the Qoqa offer is usually nicer (and not time limited).

Ok.I will wait and check the Qoqa Daily offers. Hopefully others will also post once the offer is on. Here are the dates and details of the earlier ones QoQa

1 Like

29 Fr ? When I click the link it shows 39 Fr.

They had the same offer on Black Friday. I signed up in Nov for it to start in Feb when my prior contract ended.

We have copper wire connection I am getting 98 Mbps now which is enough for me

Tip 1: If you use Rabatt corner you should get 40 CHF cashback
or
Tip 2: I see there is a referral program on Sunrise page “recommend Sunrise”. For internet + tv the reward is 75 CHF. In the Q&A it says you do not need to be a sunrise customer - perhaps your girlfriend etc. can refer you? Seems too good to be true…

The CHF 39 is for internet and TV. If you scroll down you will see the CHF 29 for internet only.

The promotion is valid for 12 months, while the minimal contract duration is 24 months. The costs for month 13 to 24 are at least CHF 55, thus not so competitive anymore. :frowning_face:

3 Likes

:nauseated_face::face_vomiting:

They are doing the same as Swisscom… I’ve taken a Wingo offer with illimited talk and data in Switzerland, in addition of 1 GB in Europe for 24.95 last week.

Currently there is a similar offer on Wingo :wink:

The Black Friday offer I took from sunrise was 24 months @39 fr incl tv up to 500 Mbps. I seem to get max 100 Mbps on copper wire network

Prices seem to be coming down

Hi guys,

moving forr job change, and no more glassfiber available at the new place.

So I am looking for a combo mobile phone + 4g router now, but still wondering on some stuff.

Main usage : TV (Netflix/youtube etc.), and some downloads (up to 50 gb, but I do not mind if it takes a night)

So 4g routers are limited to 150 Mb/s download. Seems pretty low to me, but it should be fine for UHD TV, right ? Honestly I just feel 5g routers are still too expensive (starting from 400 CHF if I got it right). Would you agree on that ?

Now about offers, the best I could find is the digitec connect offer. 20 CHF/month full talk and mobile data without activation cost +5 CHF for a second sim. Offer is a prepaid for 24 months in advance. Is anyone aware of a better offer ?

Finally, can anyone recommend a good site to check mobile coverage ?

Be careful with “unlimited” data on data sim which is often limited to fair usage and could surprise you with limited speed when you reach a certain amount of gb downloaded.

Yallo has a cable offer with TV if you have UPC network. But there is 24 months contract.

Best option to check internet coverage is to test with a prepaid sim, especially in the evening when everyone is at home
Websites are marketing.

1 Like