Should I buy TSLA shares?

No Chinese car manufacturer has broken into the EU yet.
I think the only thing you can buy are BYD buses.

Things might change, but so far the wall has been pretty high.

1 Like

I guess this has to do that the highest growth rate markets are not in Europe but definitely in Asia. Would be a waste of capital to build a factory for the local market here (except for high value cars like Tesla I guess). And transport costs are too high to ship the cars around.

BTW, they are not Chinese manufacturers yet, but more and more chinese capital is actually buying into European brands AFAIK.

1 Like

Who cares about US/EU markets? For Nio to 100x their sales won’t even need to move from China. Expansion in US/EU may come later with a second brand like Lexus/Toyota, VW/Audi to compete with Tesla.

But for now Nio is a luxury brand in a country where the EV market is booming, backed up by the Governement. Enjoy the ride but it’s to early to compete with Tesla!

1 Like

NIO is positioning itself as a luxury brand to compete with BMW, Mercedes, Audi - first in China, then globally.
Tesla is more of an upper midrange brand. The technology race is going to be breathtaking though.

Skip to 1:28:00 for the ET7 sedan presentation.

3 Likes

Insightful technical analysis on TSLA stock price by Dr. Parik Patel.

3 Likes

With a PE ratio of just 1624 TSLA is a bargain at the moment. Current valuations don’t take into account that they could have self driving cancer curing hospitals by 2022. It’s like buying bitcoin in 2013.

7 Likes

However, I prudently wait that the PE ratio reaches 4200, at which point the share price will definitely escape gravity and start zooming to Mars and beyond.
Then, I’ll take a big mortgage and borrow from my neighbors to buy 3X-leveraged turbo-calls on TSLA.

4 Likes

Have you two considered a career in Comedy (looking at you @Alvo and @Zerte2) after you’re FIRE?

3 Likes

I love Tesla cars but I cannot rationally justify the current price, not even in 5 years
This year I’ve shorted it twice losing 2k :sweat_smile: I surrender!
hence the famous saying:
The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent

2 Likes

That would have been enough for two monthly leasing rates and you would also have had a cool car.

1 Like

You hate money? :wink:
Talking of option plays: Are you worried the tax people might classify you an active trader?

Would he not need to have some actual net income from his active trading first? Which seems unlikely :wink:

it did not want to assume anything… :wink:

I was just wondering how people are dealing with the looming threat of taxation, considering it has become fairly easy to buy and sell options (even without robinhood). Mid to longterm I am wondering how the Swiss tax offices will deal with it once a large group of Swiss milennials pick up on it. I think we are a fundamentally behind the rate of adoption in the US, how will it change the pro classification once the Swiss catch up? Will it simply be deployed more often?

I personally would never short Tesla.
Sure we can assume that they will revolutionize
and dominate the transport industry, then this valuation might be reasonable in the future.
But at the moment valuations seem to be detached from fundamentals, so why shouldn’t it be worth 10k, or 100k per share?

That said I really like Tesla as a company and Elon Musk is just genius. But to me this seems to be a greater fool scenario. That doesn’t mean it couldn’t make the current investors rich. They took the risk and deserve it then.

I’m not saying the company isn’t worth it, but not at the current valuation.
There are ~48 billion $ shorted on Tsla. Maybe they are all wrong maybe not. Time will tell.
Regarding taxes if you do this only occasionally you will not be classified as pro. But every canton is different.

1 Like

@Bojack @San_Francisco @rolandinho

Thank you so much for your honest feedback regarding my videos. It’s much appreciated.

• My goal is to keep making at least 2 videos per week, so it will hopefully get better over time.
  • Video quality: I’m not happy as well. It’s because I’m still using my old 2015 MacBook Air, as the software I’m using is still buggy on the new machines with M1 chip. I hope I will be able to switch soon
  • Headphones: Great feedback. I’ll try to avoid them.
  • The uniqueness I’m striving for is to teach some deeper lessons with each video. “Come for Tesla, stay for the lessons.” So far people seem to like it.

Here’s my newest one on why I believe that The Innovator’s Dilemma will be an almost impossible challenge to overcome for companies like Volkswagen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOvYMHPhYHs

4 Likes

Speaking of Elon and his recent Tweet about Use Signal and the subsequent raise of SIGL, I should have shorted that stock with a 100k margin loan to profit from that pump -.-

2 Likes

Some TSLA news: https://techcrunch.com/2021/01/13/feds-asks-tesla-to-recall-158000-vehicles-over-failing-touchscreen-displays/

And a small correction to the article from here: I think the article uses “capacity” a bit confusingly; the NAND chip is not at its storage limit, it is at its write cycle limit. Presumably there are NAND chips with much higher limits that they swapped it for, as this doesn’t affect units after 2018 (according to the article).

Unfortunately my 2015 Model S is suffering from this issue. However besides 3-5 min reboot times of the touchscreen display there are no bad side effects.

Media OMG, Market up 0.73%.

I guess as a long term investor you care more about Tesla 2030 plans and not about how many displays they have to fix today.

1 Like