Pants down: yearly spending!

It is time for nugget to put down his pants :wink: 2023 numbers for the full year.
Living as a couple of 2 in a flat in Zurich City. Numbers are my own expenses, and/or half of our common expenses, but not our combined ones.
Totalling expenses of 73.5k, 53k if taxes are removed.

note the CHF 40 I paid for cycling on some pedestrian’s pavement :laughing:

8 Likes

:astonished:

(char limit must be reached)

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing!
It looks quite low for your household.
Maybe you could calculate the annually and monthly total for clarity.
I think ordering the table and the chart the same way will have a better visual impact.

NB: Damn for the cycling tax ! I’ll avoid cycling a pedestrian pavement and dismount …

Thanks for sharing
The rent and household value is low for Zurich City. But you are two persons living in one flat, so I assume you split the costs.
Also assume you are not married as the (income) tax value is high. Is that correct?
And medical seems to only cover basic health insurance. Otherwise that value would be higher with doctor expenses or additional insurances.

Yeah I hope we‘ll do nothing this year :smiley:

Our 2023 review!

This year, my girlfriend and I started a whole new chapter in our story. We moved in a larger apartment (60m2 [2 rooms] to 120m2 [3.5 rooms]). The rent increased accordingly, but only relatively: from 1’950 to 2’150 (from Canton X to Canton Y [cheaper]).

We’ve also started two new jobs, with a combined gross income of 200’000 CHF. This is a big jump from our cumulative income of 52’000 CHF in 2022.

If we ignore our tax instalments (23’800 CHF), our expenses amounted to 98’000 CHF (121’000 CHF with taxes). Our saving rate was at ~43% without taxes, it is ~38% with it (76’000 CHF).

Why so low? Mainly because of these categories: health insurance (no grant from the states this year [new for us as we had it for the last 3 years]), expenses related to our home (bigger rent, adaptation of our household insurance, new furniture, etc.), taxes of course (new for us as we didn’t pay a lot of taxes, basically my girlfriend was at 0 and I was at 100 CHF last year), and a shit lot of new equipment to replace our defective and/or outdated equipment (2x 8-year-old PC monitors that died, 1x 12-year-old PC power supply that died, 1x 6-year-old graphics card that also died). Last but not least, we did to ourself a nice and exceptionnal Christmas gifts: new winter equipment for both (outdated from 15 to 10 years old).

In short, we made a few expensive purchases, but mainly to replace defective or outdated equipment. Still, it’s a big budget, and we’ve clearly taken advantage of our new purchasing power, given that during the last 3 years we didn’t spend a thing, due to lack of funds (the aim was only to survive and put some saving at work)… Some stuffs needed to be replaced or upgraded. Fortunately, the year 2024 should clearly be less expensive (except for taxes I guess…).

With taxes:

Without taxes:

• House: rent, rental surety savings account, household insurance, furnitures.
  • Food: groceries (including non-food like toilet paper) and restaurants
  • Transport: 2x SBB AG 2nd Class (discount from my employer + Duo Formula for my girlfriend) and EV Rental Car
  • Health: insurance for 90%
  • Sport: CrossFit subscription + Monthly coaching (~180 CHF)

For 2024, I hope that we will be able to have a saving rate between 50-45%.

10 Likes

yes, we share a flat, and the costs here are my half f the rent plus general household expenses that we share (cleaning stuff, internet,…)

yes mostly, luckily i am overall very healthy so I only spend ~CHF 500 on doctors appointments (dental health, …), basically no drugs and the rest was my assura insurance

If only there would be more bike lanes… but I guess they are coming since people voted for them?

Here is our yearly spending for 2023 (agregated from bank accounts and cc statements, so it’s not perfectly put in categories).
We are a family of four (6 & 3 year old kids in 2023) living in an owned Home somewhere in Solothurn.

all expenses without taxes: 73951.- CHF

some categories:
childcare (1 day per week for both kids): 11198.- CHF
health: 13576.- CHF
house: 15058.- CHF (no renovations this year)

Car, phones and home internet are paid for by our business and therefore not included in the above expenses.

2 Likes

My first post here, but I also feel like sharing. Very interesting to read also to understand what would be a cost in the future (kids, morgage), so thanks everyone for sharing.

My expenses:
67k CHF including some taxes (which I think I underpayed this year), living in zurich. No kids yet, sharing expenses with my BF. though I am money conscious I do not think we are extremely frugal (couple of nice holidays this year and build myself a brand new expensive computer).

5 Likes

2023 refresh - Numbers very similar to 2022.
The main difference is that my fiancee spent more time in CH with me, so a bit more costs incurred on my end.

• Total expenses: ~62k
  • Savings rate:
    • Pre-tax: ~38%
    • Post-tax: ~47%
    • Post-tax incl. P2 employer cont.: ~51%

Few deltas:

• Travel - A bigger trip to Japan ~4k
  • Health insurance - A few acute things I had to sort out ~1.4k
  • Groceries went a bit up; but we reduced eating out (as we find it less and less worth)

Next year we are planning a wedding, so another bigger spend comes.
Seems there is one each year; so I should rather consider it a regularity versus an exception. :grin:

Top 90% of monthly averages:

Monthly cash flow breakdown (troughs: Jan - yearly health ins. premiums, Nov - Japan trip):

5 Likes

These are my expenses for 2023. My wife expenses and taxes are not included. One kid.

Total -38514
Bills -1275
Car -366
Children -7440
Donation -302
Eating out -1426
Entertainment -42
Groceries -1765
Insurance -5194
Lunch -82
Medical -328
Present -2052
Rent -13036
Shopping -937
Transportation -153
Trip -4080
Undefined -36
2 Likes

Where do you buy your groceries? We live as a couple and spend CHF 6100.- a year on groceries, including cleaning products, etc. We shop at Migros.

Mostly Italy, we live close to the border

1 Like

Still impressive… we are a family of 4, close to the Italian border as well, buying in Italy every 2 weeks + daily groceries (milk etc.) in CH but we are at 9k / year

At what percentage do you estimate the participation of your spouse did she contribute on all type of expenses ?
If she pay the majority of groceries, it could explain the difference!

I am also surprised. In particular because I went to Aldi in Como recently thinking I’d make a bargain and instead many things costed almost the same as in the Aldi in Zurich.

1 Like

We split evenly most common expense with some exceptions, groceries is evenly split so around 3500 per year as a family.
It’s maybe because we prepare most of our food from raw ingredients and don’t buy much meat/alcohol.

1 Like

Aldi/Lidl shouldn’t be taken as examples. They are so optimized in CH, that the difference in non-meat product is minimal. In Germany is slightly better.
I am not sure about vegetables.

You seem to confirm my impression that if I shop at Aldi/Lidl I am already optimising groceries as much as I could and taking a trip to do just that would not improve things (when taking fuel and time into account). Still there seems to be lots of people regularly wasting a full day to drive to a border country to di shopping, so I might be missing something.

Vegetables are likely quite a bit cheaper in Italy, but I guess one travels abroad mainly to buy non-perishable stuff.

Yes, meat probably is considerably cheaper, but you can only import small amounts.

2 Likes