New free SwissCard Cashback Card and Supercard from Topcard (and how to maximize profits)

A lot more than you think. Coop and Migros accept it and this is where I do most of my shopping. You can have and use multiple cards…

2 Likes

Hi everbody,

I’m interested by the Cashback AMEX Card. The offer seems amazing on paper, especially with their welcome cashback of 5%. They mention a “return merchendise protection” policy, which seems to be included by default.

I don’t get how this works. Let’s say i need a TV - Digitec has a 30 day return policy. I use the cashback card, I decide to return the TV on the (say) 40th day, Digitec refuses and the insurance jumps in and reimburses me for the full amount? That seems to be too sweet of a deal (and a bit fraudulent since I knew they wouldn’t take it back on the 40th day). And would I still need to return the product or would I keep it? I don’t get it. Can anyone explain?

The fine print reads the following on that point:

What is insured and when does cover apply?
1.1 Insured goods: Insured cover is provided for undamaged and properly functioning moveable goods for personal use with a purchase value of CHF 60 or more, which are bought by an insured person who paid at least 50% of the purchase price using his card.

Insurance cover commences with the transfer of the goods at the point of purchase and lasts for 90 days, including transport to the definitive place of destination. Payment of this benefit is subject to the insurer having been notified of the insured event at the latest on the next working day following the 90th day

Source: https://www.swisscard.ch/fileadmin/content/pdf-avb-alle/e/Conditions_Insurance_Cashback_Cards.pdf

It does not work like that, read the document you linked in full. Everything you asked is described there.

IV 2. Goods that are not insured
… 2.6 mobile phones; …

V. Claims Table
• Written confirmation from the store where the goods were purchased clearly stating the reason for the goods not being accepted
• If the claim is accepted, the insurer may request the insured person to send in the
insured goods (where necessary, in original packaging) by registered delivery within
30 days. The receipt for the registered delivery should be retained as proof of
dispatch, should the insurer fail to receive the goods.

Even if it doesn’t apply on all items, i still don’t get how that works.
It would work for a TV, laptop and what not though.

Does Denner accept it?

No. Nor does Lidl. .

I started using the cashback AMEX a few months ago. Here are where I was able to use it:

• Many online shops
  • Migros / Coop
  • Steg
  • Gas automated machines

It is not a lot obviously but since it’s three times more Cashback than my Mbudget credit card, I think it’s definitely worth it.

2 Likes

I have been paying regularly at Denner with my Cashback AMEX.
In fact, I did so today.

Aldi/Lidl do in fact not take Amex. Not sure about Denner.

Was this normal Denner or Denner Satelite? Do they have a Amex Sign?

But something important to notice is that many smaller stores that don’t even have an Amex Sign (probably to avoid that you pay with it) still take Amex, you just need so try it out.

Another place where I sometimes do take away fur lunch does charge you CHF 1 extra if you want to pay with any bank card. But they do take Cash and Lunch Check without extra charge. I’m now paying with lunch check gift card from Coop Prämienshop and the top up is paid for mostly with Amex, that way I can pay mostly with Amex, get the 1% and don’t have to pay the CHF 1. (Together with 10% Prämienshop Discount on Lunch Check and another 6% Superpoint Cashback for using a Prämienshop Code it’s almost 17% discount on almost any Restaurant/Take-Away)

Normal Denner and Denner Express. For the independently-managed Satellites it’s at least plausible that card acceptance might differ.
And yes, pretty sure I’ve seen some signage, though VISA/Mastercard seemed more prominent/emphasized. If I recall correctly, I saw signage with and without AMEX in the same store.

…which should have been illegal since 2015.

Yes and a lot of places still do it anyway.

Really? I didn’t know that. I know it was illegal what the CC companies did in the 90ies. Which is to disallow shop to ask more for Card payments. It makes more sense…

1 Like

By the way, do you know how many places tell you that the minimum amount to pay by card is e.g. 10 CHF? Apparently, at least in Poland, it’s illegal. The contracts that VISA & Mastercard have with these shops forbid these practices. And indeed some people wrote in the comments of an article I read, that after they were refused to pay a small amount with card, they complained to Mastercard and a few days later the salesman didn’t object anymore :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I don’t think it’s illegal to ask for a minimal amount. What changed is that the payment companies are now allowed to forbid places to charge more for credit cards. But it doesn’t mean it’s the case everywhere.

(link in french)

I’m pretty sure it’s illegal (or maybe forbidden by credit card companies) in Switzerland as well. I have heard that many times. Either you take the credit card or you don’t.

Without being privy to the legal situation in Poland, surcharging is forbidden by EU law.
Setting a minimum transaction amount is legal - just often prohibited by terms and conditions of acquirers and/or the payment schemes.

Correction: It’s not illegal by law to charge surcharges in Switzerland, but Wettbewerbskommission has been allowing credit card companies to enforce their ban on them (which previously had been disallowed):

2 Likes

I signed up for the Cembra Migros Cumulus Mastercard a few months ago. The bonus 5000 Cumulus points seem to have disappeared from my Cumulus account… do Cumulus points expire or should I be expecting some voucher in the mail or something?

Yes Cumulus Points automatically get transferred to CHF migros vouchers. You should see them in the Migros App and also receive them by mail at some point. Usually there is a gap of few days/weeks where the points are disappeared.

1 Like

Ah OK thanks, the vouchers must be the bons bleus/blaues bons, I guess. I don’t see any available digitally so they must be mailing them at some point.

I just wanted to order the SwissCard Cashback AMEX card and wondering why they need all the details regarding my work (salary, employer etc.). Does anybody know what they will do with that data?

Did you all just give them the required information?

1 Like