New free SwissCard Cashback Card and Supercard from Topcard (and how to maximize profits)

These informations are asked by all credit card provider to evaluate your solvency.
If you salary is too low or you already have other debts, they will declined your request

They will also use that information to set your credit limit.

Compared to some other countries, and barring negative credit information (collection, default), Swiss issuers may seem to base their decision (and limit setting) a bit more on the these provable facts, as opposed to your actual credit/payment history.

Hi Rufio. The salary information is used to determine your credit limit. While you are required to specify an employer, there is very little chance of them contacting your employer. More commonly, the issuer will ask you for a copy of your recent bank account statements to check that you are receiving a salary from the stated employer.

When you apply, the issuer will also check your ZEK record to find out if you have existing debt or if you have defaulted on loans in the past. If there is a risk that granting you a line of credit could result in your becoming over-indebted (having more debt than you can actually service) then your application will be denied. They may also check your municipal debt collection register. If you have never taken out loans or failed to pay bills in Switzerland, you won’t likely have any credit history. This is considered a positive because only negative and neutral information is recorded (not positive credit behavior like in the US).

I also got the new Amex cashback card. 1 percent and no point hassle - just perfect

1 Like

Thanks very much for the detailed info on that! Did not know that this is something common / standard

Can we have a list of where teh Amex works?
I’ve seen a post on another thread but forgot to pin it

I think it was something like:

Works: Migros,Coop, 

Doesn’t work: Aldi

That would be very useful. In my experience, merchants which do not accept Amex are the exception in Switzerland. I do encounter them now and then, but it’s not common. I haven’t been able to find a list/map of merchants which take Amex. I can’t imagine why Swisscard hasn’t published one.

I don’t use credit cards much for paying, but I have been able to use my Cashback Amex card at these chain retailers, among others:

Coop (including all Coop stores like Fust, Ochsner, etc.)
Migros (including all Migros subsidiaries)
Denner (my primary grocery store)
Volg
SBB/CFF
SWISS
Microspot
Deindeal
ebookers
Interdiscount
Dosenbach
K Kiosk (and other Valora stores)
Yallo (mobile service)

With the exception of one or two kebab places, I have never had problems paying at restaurants. All hotels I’ve encountered take American Express.

Grocery stores are a hit and miss. Lidl and Aldi don’t take Amex. Neither does the Turkish grocery store where I buy certain items bulk. This hasn’t been a big issue as I generally am in the habit of paying cash for purchases. Online checkouts are also a hit and miss. I noticed some merchants accept Amex in-store, but not on their online stores. I imagine they exclude it to save costs. But merchants that don’t take Amex seem to be the exception in Switzerland (unlike some other countries where Visa/Mastercard dominate).

4 Likes

I can’t use it at my local Volg. Maybe it depends on the shop. Aldi, Nestle shop and a lot of websites (Salt, Swisscom) don’t accept it.

Digitec Galaxus doesn’t accept amex

1 Like

Thank xorfish. I had only though of brick-and-mortar subsidiaries. I haven’t shopped at Digitec Galaxus (yet).

Hi everybody, I revive this topic to ask people using Coop Supercard in which format is possible to download transactions (to subsequently import in other softwares).

I’m currently with SwissCard but I find their export capabilities pretty limited (they allow to export to .csv only for the last 6 months and moreover I’m forced to export a separate .csv for every month
).

Is with Coop Supercard any better ?

I hate to disappoint you, but

Coop Supercard Visa & MC is also by Swisscard.
It’ll be the same “Swisscard” login, and options will be identical, export = text file (tab or comma) or file for quicken and MS Money, 6 months history, etc.

PS In the new Swisscard app the statements (as pdf though) should go back 18 months.

Hi @rolandinho, thank you for the (bad) news
 :rofl:
According to my understanding, the Coop Supercard was now issued by a different provider (TopCard according to COOP Supercard web page ) thus I was hoping for a different (better ?) interface.

If it’s still Swisscard (subsidiary of Credit Suisse) then I do not understand why they have splitted the cards 2 years ago

[edit] I’ve seen that TopCard belongs to UBS so I’m surprised about the 2 services having the same interface

I logged in on the weekend to check December transactions on my “Coop Supercard” Visa & MC, and the interface looked the same as always (since at least 4 years).

But, after your comment and this article below

I have ex-Coop Supercard Visa & MC’s, it seems.
I wasn’t even aware of this change to Topcard, but one can’t read all the brochures one gets I suppose. So, I actually don’t have Coop Supercard credit cards any more. My cards were automatically migrated to the “CASHBACK VISA / WORLD MASTERCARD” by Swisscard and have nothing to do with Coop any more, they are just a “free” credit card from Swisscard. Hence my login and interface is the same as its always been.

Apologies for the mix-up! I hope someone else can fill us in on the Topcard interface.

Hi,

I recently register to COOP Supercard by TopCard.
I recieved the card by mail and I wanted to register it through TC Security mobile App.
However, I could not pass the initial steps by registering card number, birthdate and phone number (French).
Did it happen to someone before ?

There is no online Chat nor form to contact the Support.
You can only call them for chf 1,90.