Mustachians, introduce yourselves!

2 kids = 1 M each to study?

The figures are rough and strongly depend on the day we fire. For now we still need to pay full daycare/school costs (around 50k per year) for the next 6 years minimum, until the kids are more or less independant
Studies can be quite expensive too ; of course it will depend on a lot of factors, so we will need to adjust our figures
And as mentioned above, I might have to finance a dependant somewhen, ca. 30k per year.
If you add these numbers, we might indeed not be at 2 M, but we are not that farā€¦

babyjag

1m

The figures are rough and strongly depend on the day we fire. For now we still need to pay full daycare/school costs (around 50k per year) for the next 6 years minimum, until the kids are more or less independant
Studies can be quite expensive too ; of course it will depend on a lot of factors, so we will need to adjust our figures
And as mentioned above, I might have to finance a dependant somewhen, ca. 30k per year.
If you add these numbers, we might indeed not be at 2 M, but we are not that farā€¦

~500kā€¦congrats! Can you disclose at least in which domain it is possible to earn that much?

Thanks! IT. Fixed is ~250K, the rest is bonus + RSUs.

1 Like

Thatā€™s amazing! I thought such money is possible only in Zurich (Google). Very good news, as Iā€™m also in IT, living nearby Lausanne :). Unfortunately Iā€™m more in engineering than management, so I guess such numbers will never be possible for me.

Thereā€™s a surprisingly high number of mustachians near Lausanne, good company :slight_smile:

Iā€™m a pure engineer FWIW, no interest whatsoever for the mgmt track. Keep your hopes up!

4 Likes

Thatā€™s wonderful - eye opener I would say! I need to show it to my boss :D.

Iā€™ve just realised that even though Iā€™m active on this forum since at least few months, Iā€™ve never introduced myself properly. So:

Married with 2 kids, living near Lausanne, IT engineer

My income with all add-ons is around 170k. Our NW is about 1M. Still hesitating: rent or buy (renting for the time being).

Iā€™ve finally took the decision to open brokerage account and start investing, even though the markets are so high (yeah, I though so 1 year ago tooā€¦). BTW - I decided to go for Swissquote (I know Iā€™m chicken not to go for IB). They currently offer 100 CHF of trading costs if you refer a friend, so Iā€™ve asked one of our forum members who was helpful in some Swissquote related thread for the code, so we can both profit. I think we should act that way if possible to support our community.

Cheers

1 Like

Man, what tech are you working with? Is it programming? What language? For which industry? What qualifications one has to have to get such job? This number is absolutely incredibleā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m mostly coding in C++ in the IT sector. If you go to San Francisco/Silicon Valley, these kinds of compensation are fairly common at Facebook, Google & others. Hiring is very competitive so these cos deploy a lot of cash to get/keep good engineers.

1 Like

Sure in San Francisco, but in Switzerland, especially in Lausanne. This range of salary is rare. In Lausanne, there are no FAANG companies

5 Likes

Hi guys! I joined last year but didnā€™t write anything yet.
Iā€™m a 21 year old CS student from Germany studying at ETH Zurich (finishing my B.Sc. this year and then starting my Masters).
Been interested in investing for quite some time (did a quant internship at a hedge fund 2 years ago) and have some savings from my part-time CS gigs that Iā€™m starting to invest into the market right now.
My NW is around 90k, ~30k of that is liquid (mostly cash in a Credit Suisse student savings account). I have around 2.5k disposable income per month, Iā€™ll invest around 1-1.5k of that into VT on IB each month.
The rest of my NW is tied to a company I cofounded. That is also going to be the main (career) goal for me: I like working on my own projects so Iā€™ll try my best at entrepreneurship. I have 2 other companies (one of those has just crossed 5-digits in profits in 2019, all reinvested into growth) but since we do not have a proper valuation of those companies yet, I donā€™t count them to my NW.
Looking forward to some great discussions here!

11 Likes

Congrats! :slight_smile: You are doing really well on your financial path.
Could you let us know what kind of companies you are talking?

1 Like

Thanks!
I started a company 3 years ago in Germany with a lawyer that sues airlines if flights were delayed to get refunds for customers (we take a small fee of that refund only if we are successful). There are a number of large companies doing that now, mine is rather small in comparison but nonetheless profitable (and we have a good network of travel agencies that refer us to customers). Our expenses are fairly low (the lawyer is also a co-founder), we had 100% success so far in all lawsuits and long-term goal would be to sell this company to the large players in that field.
The other two are tech/software startups, one in the medical field and one in the payments field (both based in London). The medical company is funded, the payment / fintech company is bootstrapped so far (weā€™ll get some funding to scale up in summer).

5 Likes

Hoi zame,

I (middle-aged Brit) was an English teacher for years (Asia, Eastern Europe, Zurich); started reading about early retirement in 2014 with MMM. Took a break from thinking about index funds all day to building a portfolio of affiliate marketing websites. That went well.

In 2018 we bought a big farm house in Thurgau. Weā€™ve spent silly money making it energy efficient and adding a second flat to it (the other we rent on AirBnb). This week the bank agreed to give us our fourth mortgage. Yes, you read that right. These Swiss bankers are crazy.

Now itā€™s time to pay for it! At the start of 2020 we began trying to cut expenses - going to Lidl and doing ā€˜meal prepā€™, for instance. The next step is rebuilding our ETF portfolios. Even with blogs like this trying to simplify it, itā€™s baffling. I have questions. Iā€™ll be asking them. Thanks in advance!

9 Likes

Hi guys,

I have been reading through the forum since quiet a while, but did not actively contribute to it so far - todayā€™s the day to change that.

Iā€™m a 25 year old PhD student in engeenering, and if things go smooth I will be done with my studies beginning of next year. I did save a bit of money over the last years (net worth approximately 100k) and was thinking about investing it since quiet a while. Just recently I did the first step and opened an account with IB and bought my first VT stocks. My plan is to invest my cash savings distributed over roughly a year while already focusing on improving my savings rate.

Looking forward to a good exchange!

5 Likes

Do you believe there is a benefit beside psychology in dollar cost averaging?

Here is a good video that covers the way you go into the market.

3 Likes

If I had 100k in cash and just started with investing, with the current volatility I would DCA over the the next couple of weeks/months.

2 Likes

Be careful not to buy stocks with the money you borrowed from the crazy bankers :wink: .

thank you for your reply. I saw that video before and I am aware since quiet a while that investing everything at once would lead to better performance in ~2/3 of the cases. However, the market is quiet volatile right now (as pointed out by @Cortana as well) so I feel much better with DCA over some months. Clearly this is purely psychological, as we all know we can not time the market. Ayways you got me thinking again and I might reconsider the DCA or shorten the investment intervals to be fully invested in ~6 months instead of a year.

4 Likes