Mustachians, introduce yourselves!

I just started reading this forum today and I must say - this is exactly what I was looking for! I’m 37 y/old lady living in Switzerland for more than 20 years and just started getting informed about FI…I resigned from a very stressful position last month that I held for more than 11 years and now I am looking at all options…working independently, taking a break from work (I have a son), or applying for a part-time position…etc. Let’s see where this trip takes me!

4 Likes

Hi fellow mustachians!

After months of lurking I finally decide to start investing. Created an IBKR account, transferred my first 10K and invested 75:25 in MSCI World and Emerging Markets. :slight_smile:

About myself: I’m 26 years old and currently live in Liechtenstein, but work in Switzerland as a Software Engineer. I managed to accumulate 250k on my bank accounts, but unfortunately never dared to invest anything which looks super dumb in highsight.

Now I’m unsure how to continue with that money. Investing it all at once seems a bit risky… I was thinking of slowly putting half of it in in 2-3 years, so I get a bit of a cost-average effect.

Also I noticed that there are quite a few differences (especially taxes and available broker options) between CH and FL. Maybe one day I can write a short tutorial on how to start FIRE from Liechtenstein :slight_smile:

Let’s see where this goes! I guess now that I invested some massive global financial crisis is ready to start :laughing::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Rodriguez,

I’m not quite sure I understand your plans… The idea of FIRE is to save a lot of money through investments, and live from that 10-20 years before you start regular pension.

Quitting your job and/or working part-time is the goal, not the way.

I think it can both the goal and the way. Think of Tim Ferris - he sort of did both.

1 Like

Hey,
I am Swiss Citizen living abroad and working as a consular staff in a Swiss Embassy. I should reach FIRE in around 10 years in my mid 40s. I do not live frugal by any means but my partner and I were never big spenders and we do not like to spend money on overpriced goods/services. I found the forum when I was searching the best way to invest my money for the lowest expenses.
The advantage of my job is that I have Swiss Salary but I do not have Swiss Expenses. So we safe around 50% of our gross income and still can spend money on things which are important for us (holidays!!!).
Cheers Nunu

5 Likes

Hi there, I’m Ed .

Long-time reader just decided to start contributing. Like most people here.

I live with my girlfriend and cat in a probably too expensive rental apartment.

I’m 30ish, live in Lausanne and work in IT. I’m not a software engineer. I would love to code for a living but I feel overwhelmed by everything that’s new and I don’t know yet.

Anyhoo. I have been investing since my early 20s but not necessarily the smart way. I’m quite a stock picker bad that has worked out okay for me, but I’ve seen that if I had invested in indices I would be better off now.

According to the online calculators I’m too far from FI. Trying to figure out if we should buy and save some rent or just move and save some rent. Did I say save some rent?

I use YNAB (old version, one-off payment) and Gnucash mainly to keep track of stocks.

The rest… I guess it’ll transpire from my forum posts.

If anyone living in Lausanne or nearby is interested in beers or coffee to exchange advice and views, just say the word!

3 Likes

Hi everyone.

Thirty something foreigner here who moved to Switzerland from another European country. Living north of Zurich.

I‘ve been interested in investing since my early 20s. Got burned in the 2008 stock market crash and then not really back into investing on the stock market, unfortunately (which might have been, in hindsight, the opportunity of a lifetime). But many of my family members have probably made worse (financial) mistakes or missed bigger opportunities (at least in absolute terms).

I know, they say „you can’t time the market“. Still, I‘m wary of this years-long bull market coming to an end at some point. This is why I am currently holding a considerable amount of my net worth as a cash position. :expressionless:

So for now, I’m focusing on living frugal, and just put a part of my monthly savings (which aren’t that much) into ETFs.

5 Likes

:wave: :beers: :coffee:

3 Likes

Hello everyone,

I am non EU national working in IT field recently moved to CH, currently living in Basel. I have been following the Mustachian movement from last 2 years. So far I have been investing in US market through my 401k plan at previous employer. Most of my holdings are in Vanguard growth funds and I plan to diversify to VTI and VXUS. This forum has been tremendously useful on getting started with a good portfolio.

Cheers,

2 Likes

Hi, there!
I’m approaching my 30’s, born and raised in Europe.
Moved to ZH few years ago, working as a doctoral student now (48k salary).
I track all my expenses in a spreadsheet. I save more than 50% of my income, mostly because I am single, living in a WG and pay no health insurance. Occasionally, I am gambling with bitcoin trading, however it seems like a lost cause.
Since I have saved a reasonable amount of CHF, I am looking for a non-traditional investment options out there. I am hesitant to pull the trigger, because I have no knowledge on investment exit and taxes.
I am looking for a comprehensive workflow starting from the sign-up until the tax declaration and account closure.

2 Likes

You don’t pay health insurance or you pay that super-cheap health insurance for foreign students? Health insurance is compulsory.

I have a five-year exemption from the compulsory swiss health insurance.
Exemption was possible, because I have a student status and the European Health Insurance Card.

1 Like

welcome to the forum!

the center of gravity in this community is quite traditional Investments in the form of ETFs (stocks, bonds, real estate,…). However here and there some exotic stuff popps up, and of course you are welcome to join in :wink: maybe you have something new to us?

1 Like

Market seems to be heating up again XD.

Hi all,

I am 26 Year old, Non-EU national enjoying lovely city of Bern since last year. Working in IT industry and gathering experiences, learning on mistakes on all fronts. You could say I am just starting on my portfolio and am sincerely grateful to all who share their experiences in this forum.

If ppl in Bern are willing to meet up, feel free to ping me.

Anyhoo, cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Eastwood!

Welcome to the Swiss club! Fellow Berne resident here, also from abroad (albeit EU).
@demian91, @bamboo and I mhad a meetup a few months ago - this would be a good opportunity to organize another meeting. Maybe @mrs_oberland wants to join?
What about July everyone available? We can meet in the Tramdepot finally to enjoy the famous beer.

Cheers!

Johnny

2 Likes

thanks @Johnny_B
yeah, gerne. July :+1:

a meet up in Bern would be interesting! Im also from Bern.

PS: I just noticed i never introduced my self on this forum, i will do it…

Hi everyone,

Long-time reader, just decided to start contributing, like most people here.

I live with my girlfriend and two kids in a rental apartment.

I’m 30ish and live close to Neuchâtel.

I have been investing since my early 18s but not necessarily the smart way. I was not well advised and just did what my parents or banker advised me to do…

Hopefully I changed my job and moved from France to Switzlerland a year ago and I had to rethink the way I invest. Last december was the time I discovered the FIRE community thanks to an article in letemps.

If anyone living in Neuchâtel or nearby is interested in beers or coffee to exchange advice and views, just say the word!

1 Like

Hi all!

I’ve been reading quite a bit now and decided it’s time to sign up.

I’m a weekly resident near Berne in her late 20’s. I stumbled across FIRE when I was working abroad, not contributing to the Swiss pension system anymore.

Would be great to meet some like minded people around Berne.

1 Like