Mustachians, introduce yourselves!

Markets are always irrational.
The question for investing is not when but at which price - if you follow the “value investing” philosophy.

1 Like

And for indexers the question is not when and at what price - indeed, there’s no question, you choose your allocation, you buy, hold, rebalance and stay the course for long-term.

1 Like

It you don’t know your savings rate you don’t know your spending which makes it a bit difficult to calculate the monies you need. But I would be more worried about the 450 k cash as it needs to be put to work :slight_smile:

I see Market are irrational but I would also not invest in high street investments. All this products from bankers, there is a high margin on it. I would seek alternative investments, and yes you need to invest some time to understand. But see fintech, small hedge funds, real estate (no not reits only direct investments or JVs).

Caveat emptor ! …

1 Like

Dear Swiss Mustachians,

I’m so happy to have found this community. I remember reading Mr Mustache’s blog a while ago but realized just now I need to put his wise advices to work.

Even with my old age of 38 years old I consider myself a newbie when it comes to money management. I’m committed to change this and do my best to make the best choices.

See you soon!

3 Likes

Welcome! Wish you lots of interesting insights :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @fromforet
welcome and don’t worry anything about your age… I felt I was the super-late-bloomer here until I read @baffo66’s post :wink:
I think it’s not unusual to wake up mid-life and decide to do something about one’s own inadequate financial knowledge and behavior. While I somehow envy younger people for the additional time they have, it’s certainly never too late to improve.

Cheers,

J.

Hi there,

I hope the cross-posting is OK: This is just a reminder for the upcoming meetup in Bern on either 12th or 13th of February. In order to make the organization easier, please vote for your preferred date at this doodle.

Cheers,

Johnny B.

Dear Swiss Mustachians,

I’ve been reading the forum for a bit and I thought it’s time to introduce myself.

I’m in my late 20s and originally from Ticino, and after some time spent in Zurich, Germany and Asia I am currently working in Lausanne.

What I am most interested is to improve my asset allocation to reduce risk and take advantage of long term market trends. Additionally increasing my saving rate is also a priority (currently 15ish %), let’s just say I have some unhealthy spending habits that need to be corrected.

Regarding FIRE: RE is not the end goal per se, but a good FI will allow a gradual detachment from the need to work for money (pick your job as if you were paid 0)

Cheers

3 Likes

Hi everyone,

Been following the discussions on the forum on and off for a few years now. Thanks for all the valuable information that can be found in the various threads.

Me and my wife are in our early/mid 30’s working within Pharma in Basel. We have two small kids in daycare, which is currently significantly hampering our savings rate. I usually jokingly tell people that with the money we spend on daycare for the kids, we could buy a new Tesla every 18 months…

4 Likes

Dear Mustachians,

After +1 year following this interesting website/forum from the shadows, I have finally registered.
I’m a Spaniard in my early 30s, working in IT in Zurich, trying to find my way to FIRE.
I’m here mostly to learn given my poor financial knowledge and habits, which has improved significantly since I discover you all guys. So thanks!

Cheers!

3 Likes

Hi all!
I’m a Spaniard in my early 30s, working in Zurich.
I have been reading this blog a lot but this is the first time that I write on it. I want to start investing in the Mustachian way (Bogleheads). At the moment Im trying to figure out how and which founds to buy and with which broker to go…
See you around!

2 Likes

I just started reading this forum today and I must say - this is exactly what I was looking for! I’m 37 y/old lady living in Switzerland for more than 20 years and just started getting informed about FI…I resigned from a very stressful position last month that I held for more than 11 years and now I am looking at all options…working independently, taking a break from work (I have a son), or applying for a part-time position…etc. Let’s see where this trip takes me!

4 Likes

Hi fellow mustachians!

After months of lurking I finally decide to start investing. Created an IBKR account, transferred my first 10K and invested 75:25 in MSCI World and Emerging Markets. :slight_smile:

About myself: I’m 26 years old and currently live in Liechtenstein, but work in Switzerland as a Software Engineer. I managed to accumulate 250k on my bank accounts, but unfortunately never dared to invest anything which looks super dumb in highsight.

Now I’m unsure how to continue with that money. Investing it all at once seems a bit risky… I was thinking of slowly putting half of it in in 2-3 years, so I get a bit of a cost-average effect.

Also I noticed that there are quite a few differences (especially taxes and available broker options) between CH and FL. Maybe one day I can write a short tutorial on how to start FIRE from Liechtenstein :slight_smile:

Let’s see where this goes! I guess now that I invested some massive global financial crisis is ready to start :laughing::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Rodriguez,

I’m not quite sure I understand your plans… The idea of FIRE is to save a lot of money through investments, and live from that 10-20 years before you start regular pension.

Quitting your job and/or working part-time is the goal, not the way.

I think it can both the goal and the way. Think of Tim Ferris - he sort of did both.

1 Like

Hey,
I am Swiss Citizen living abroad and working as a consular staff in a Swiss Embassy. I should reach FIRE in around 10 years in my mid 40s. I do not live frugal by any means but my partner and I were never big spenders and we do not like to spend money on overpriced goods/services. I found the forum when I was searching the best way to invest my money for the lowest expenses.
The advantage of my job is that I have Swiss Salary but I do not have Swiss Expenses. So we safe around 50% of our gross income and still can spend money on things which are important for us (holidays!!!).
Cheers Nunu

5 Likes

Hi there, I’m Ed .

Long-time reader just decided to start contributing. Like most people here.

I live with my girlfriend and cat in a probably too expensive rental apartment.

I’m 30ish, live in Lausanne and work in IT. I’m not a software engineer. I would love to code for a living but I feel overwhelmed by everything that’s new and I don’t know yet.

Anyhoo. I have been investing since my early 20s but not necessarily the smart way. I’m quite a stock picker bad that has worked out okay for me, but I’ve seen that if I had invested in indices I would be better off now.

According to the online calculators I’m too far from FI. Trying to figure out if we should buy and save some rent or just move and save some rent. Did I say save some rent?

I use YNAB (old version, one-off payment) and Gnucash mainly to keep track of stocks.

The rest… I guess it’ll transpire from my forum posts.

If anyone living in Lausanne or nearby is interested in beers or coffee to exchange advice and views, just say the word!

3 Likes

Hi everyone.

Thirty something foreigner here who moved to Switzerland from another European country. Living north of Zurich.

I‘ve been interested in investing since my early 20s. Got burned in the 2008 stock market crash and then not really back into investing on the stock market, unfortunately (which might have been, in hindsight, the opportunity of a lifetime). But many of my family members have probably made worse (financial) mistakes or missed bigger opportunities (at least in absolute terms).

I know, they say „you can’t time the market“. Still, I‘m wary of this years-long bull market coming to an end at some point. This is why I am currently holding a considerable amount of my net worth as a cash position. :expressionless:

So for now, I’m focusing on living frugal, and just put a part of my monthly savings (which aren’t that much) into ETFs.

5 Likes

:wave: :beers: :coffee:

3 Likes