Looking for mustachian Jobs in CH

I thought many jobs have a minimum salary here (and the minimum salary is rarely below 4k per month).

I honestly don’t know how it works.

As far as I know there’s no minimum wage enforced in Switzerland. Only the Neuchatel canton has recently approved a minimum wage.

I think the minimum wage is abit more complex than that. germany is a bad example on how lots of people work full time in low wage jobs but get nowhere close to independece from direct social transfer support

There is no minimum salary in switzerland, however there are the “GesamtarbeitsvertrĂ€ge” negotiated between the labor unions and the companies that regulate working conditions - including the salaries - for entire trades.

1 Like

Exactly, that’s what I was referring to.

FB (Oculus), Apple, Google all pay the same in ZRH as in Bay Area. Other US locations pay worse. The big bucks are not only in the US.

It’s a bit easier to job hop in the US, fair. But job-hopping on H1B is hard and reduces that effect, on L1 impossible.

There is some VS dev. engineering happening in ZĂŒrich? As a use and somebody that created a couple of extensions I might be interested.

Microsoft has a small Visual Studio Code team in Wollishofen, that’s correct. You can even follow some of them on github as it’s an open source project. But most of the development AFAIK is still done in the US.

Coming back to freelancing discussions, how do you do that practically?
As far as I understood you cannot be an independent contractor for just one client, as you would be flagged by social insurances (AHV/AVS) and forced to be either hired internally or to go through “pay port” (not sure of that translation, would be “portage salarial” in French, sometimes I see “umbrella structure”).
Anyway, I’m interested in your feedback (@Bojack and others)

1 Like

Option I: Do not have one main client.

Option II: Register a GmbH (SĂ rl) and work for this company as sole employee. The contract is then solely between the client and the Company you just founded, therefore no AHV/AVS struggle.

Option 3: team up with a couple of people from your business and found an Aktiengesellschaft. Or find an existing one. Then become an employee of it, with a fixed salary. Then whatever freelancer contracts you receive, they will be between your AG and the client. The difference between your salary and your actual income you will pay out as an annual bonus.

Hmm that’s what I’ve been looking at. I guess you could also team up within a GmbH instead of an AG, if the number of employees is not supposed to change the GmbH limitations should not be a problem.
@Bojack I guess you have chosen option 3, what is the rationale behind the fixed salary?

I think I asked about it once, but the stuff is so complex that it doesn’t want to stay in my head. I joined a company founded 20 years ago by people who have a lot of experience. And according to them this is the most straightforward way. I think if you would like to pay out via dividend, then the company would first have to pay income tax and then you would have to pay your own income tax, so there would be a double tax.

Once you opt for an employment, you need to have a contract and a salary, and the salary is fixed. I was able to decided how much salary I want, but the most logical option is to take the amount that is covered by unemployment insurance.

No no no, they will simply bill you for 10.25% of your pay, that you’d have paid if you were ordinarily employed :slight_smile: But for all other legal purposes you are still a freelancer, just not for AHV.

Easiest would to be to set up a GmbH, only 20k startup capital needed. You are then definitely employed (by your own company) and can choose yourself how much money to take out as salary and pay AHV and pension on it, how much in dividend, how much to keep in the company. Its very flexible structure plus it comes with liability protection.

The main downside is you cannot take pillar 2 money to finance your GmbH, it’s only freelancing

Correct, but dividend from your own company is tax priviledged and taxed roughly at half rate to offset the double taxation

3 Likes

Thanks for all the insight, much appreciated.

A bit late reply but I’m interested in the data science topic:

Do you mean that it is a plus looking for a job around Zurich? Since there are more jobs there

In this area there are jobs without data, but what about data without jobs :wink: ?

This is one of the rare jobs with which you can earn easily more than 100k with only an commerical apprentice (KV). You need to be Swiss and willing to work in other countries. They usually hire once a year:

2 Likes

Hi there
Talking about jobs a friend of mine is looking for an IT job. Anyone can help? He has got the following skills:

Software :

• I have a strong background in HPE Insight management, HPE Integrated Lights Out (ILO), HPE Insight Control, Service Pack for Proliant (SPP), Intelligent Provisioning.
  • I have a strong background in installing O.S. Microsoft from “NT workstation” to “Windows 10”
  • Supporting and troubleshooting Microsoft software such as Active Directory, Exchange, Internet Information Server, Office365, Windows Server 2012 R2
  • I have knowledge of Blackberry Systems and mobile phone infrastructure
  • I have particular skills on Firmware update with SPP for HP server
  • Knowledge of Microsoft Lync Server 2010/2013
  • Knowledge of VMWARE
  • Knowledge of O.S. Red Hat Enterprise and CentOS

Hardware :

• Server Intel - HPE Proliant and Blade
  • Storage low end - HPE MSA and P2000
  • StoreOne &D2D back up system
  • Pc “client” of major computer brand
  • Various Network Equipments like Access Points, Routers

Certifications : all the certifications of my HP courses are available in the “skill portal”, HPE/CDS web-portal

SoftSkills : Flexible, Empathic, Adaptable, Solid Worker, Trustable and Honest person