Internet connection trouble (solved... or is it?)

How relevant is your opinion, when the problem with wifi only occurs with interference? Maybe where you live there aren’t many competing wifi networks?

Btw Yesterday I needed some quick internet and I sat down next to my router, like 1m away. I was still getting poor performance… This is not normal.

Maybe you should buy elastic cables and attach the router to your back when you are at home?

1 Like

Will have to wait for Neuralink to do this.

Btw I’ll tell you something funny. Whenever I’m on my phone and the internet is crappy, I notice I’m on wifi. So I turn it off and surf on 4G (also from Salt) - much better experience, pages load instantly. So yeah, this is retarded. I get a faster service from a 4G tower god knows where than from a wifi router in my own flat…

3 Likes

Ya sure it is not pleasant what you describe, and my comment of not being troublesome was just referring to my personal case. The post was just giving the feedback of my personal experience with Salt, and to enhance the fact that seems to be a widespread problem. Can totally relate to you being upset since I remember well that feeling when living in India and Internet at home was basically BS.

BTW CS of them Salt was shit. Suddenly they charged me some Canal Plus Package which they activated as a free month promotion, and at the end of the email they wrote “BTW, you have to deactivate it by yourself or it will automatically continue”. Got out of it but WTF.

That should be illegal and it probably is, until someone sue them it will stay this way.

We are slowly entering (or we already in) a society where companies do also illegal thing since the price to pay is minimal.

Should be, and in the end reimbursed the money. But the time lost on the phone… beeeh

speaking about salt… I just got this

pity I can’t now.

Also would love to see more feedback about the wifi issue

I’m not sure if it will be relevant for you.
But my gf had always wifi problem with her laptop, disconnecting her all the time.
The problem was that the 2.4 and 5 Ghz channel were combined, and the router tells the device which one he must be on.
I decoupled the two channel and the problem was gone.

This feature is called Band Steering and it’s turned off on my router.

Hey @Bojack, you marked the topic as “solved”, can you share the solution? was it just Band Steering setting or something else?

I marked it solved, cause I found out it was caused by the wifi and not by the fiber. Solution would be to use another wifi router and disable Salt, although I haven’t done it yet so I can’t tell if it really solves the problem.

1 Like

So you should edit the title to “maybe solved” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Is the current title to your liking?

4 Likes

Maybe another avenue to check: USB3 can interfere with WiFi

Absolutely do use ethernet cable over WiFi. Even if using 5Ghz WiFi, you can still have issues for a plethora of reason (noisy neighbouring networks, radar --WiFi has to yield to radar and that degrades the signal–, poor WiFi box placement, thick walls…).

fast.com and speedtest.net aren’t suuuuuper reliable measurements of your internet speed. Fast is by Netflix so it will only show you how good of a route you have to their edge server (usually hosted within your provider’s network). Every provider makes damn sure their route to speedtest.net is the best it can be with absolute priority etc, so it looks like everyone has the best and fastest internet. Real life is messier, and if they have shitty peering with anyone else you wouldn’t know from testing with Netflix and Speedtest.

Eliminating the WiFi is as simple as plugging your computer to the ethernet port of your Salt box and checking if you have issues there too. If not, it’s the WiFi.

Now, if you can’t drill walls etc to install a cable cleanly, you have options still:

1. You can get a longer fiber optics cable so that you can place the Salt box further from the wall plug

2. You can unscrew your baseboards (the wooden slats running along the bottom of the walls) and hide the cable behind. Most baseboards I have ever seen have a groove on the side that is attached to the wall so that you can run a cable in that groove and still have the baseboards fit normally on the wall. If you have to go across any doorways, you can attach the cable around the door frames, around the angle between the wall and the actual frame; in the corner. Not invisible, but if it’s done well it can still be very clean. Ethernet cable is rather cheap (buy it on Amazon and get CAT6), and can be pretty long while maintaining gigabit speeds.

To add, the 10Gbits Salt sells is complete BS. First of all, almost no-one will serve you at these speeds. Second of all, the max speed consumer Ethernet networks handle is 1Gbit/s… So unless you invest in some VERY expensive gear, your maximum wired speed will be 1Gbit and you’ll have 9Gbit/s go unused on your connection. Salt knows this very well and that’s why they can sell 10Gbit/s at a price comparable to their competitors offer “only” 1Gbit/s. Not even mentioning WiFi, the best speed you can get on WiFi (assuming no interference, and good AP, and a good station) is around 300-400 mbit/s… You’re never going to go anywhere close to 10Gbits. But it looks good on the ads to offer 10Gbits!

2 Likes

I have the following devices:

• company laptop
  • macbook
  • ipad
  • iphone x2
  • apple tv
  • chromecast

How do you suggest to connect these via cable? Wifi simply has to do its job. I could only place the router in a better place, but for this i would need a 10m fiber cable that would run in front of the entrance door.

Haha, dude, you’re the one with the internet problem asking for help. What you do is up to you, I don’t really care either way. You know what you should do if you want to fix your internet problem; you’re free to do it or not do it: it’s your choice.

Easy :wink: I’m just saying, I’m already aware that it works better via ethernet, it’s just not easy to do anything about it.

I actually do have 3 of these and connect them via Ethernet cable. There is the original Google accessory and also the ones you could find on the Chinese stores. It connects through the USB port. Works like a charm.

1 Like

@Bojack FYI, finally Salt got in touch with me and told me the new firmware version was apparently creating issues. They did downgrade it few days ago and it has improved a lot.

1 Like