Internet connection trouble (solved... or is it?)

Use a RJ45 cable !
If you not have any rj45 connector on your apple buy an apple rj45 adapter and no more problem. Nothing give you 1gb/10gb and perfect stability without cable.

You are probably not only an (apple sheep) but you lost your freedom but if you know and accept that it’s your choice :slight_smile:

That’s the reason why I never touch any apple device and probably never touch any devices from them. Like Salt 10gb (shared connection) too because use GPON and not easy to retrieve fiber directly in your computer. May be apple go to open source and free their prisoner one day.

My laptop is 6 meters and a door away from the router. TV is 10 meters away. How do you suggest to pull an ethernet cable through a corridor with no rug or furniture on the way?

I know quality internet connection is important, but I have some minimal esthetics requirements.

Wall RJ45 plugs with cables go behind the baseboards and trough the wall to the next baseboards. Take time but clean and not any more problem.

Believe it or not, I’m in that mindset as well. I didn’t create the setup I have in one go. That’s what’s great about it, it’s modular and you can improve it incrementally (I’ve improved it over 6 years now). I’ve started with a simple UniFi AP AC Lite (99.-). The point is that you have to be very intentional about the WiFi gear you buy, because there is a lot of variance in the quality that’s available in the market. A brand like UniFi or Aruba is quality stuff (it’s what’s used at Universities, hospitals and stadiums), so you know you’ll never run into WiFi issues.

You could get started with just the UniFi NanoHD for great Wi-Fi. You don’t need the Pi-hole in your situation, I was just describing what I have, which allows me for instance to isolate a cheap Chinese security cam that I bought into its own subnet (and in doing so, found out that it was trying to send stuff to Amazon Web Services, it’s nice to have a firewall and be able to see/block that). It’s pretty easy these days for a someone to sell you a device which allows them to later silently create a tunnel into your home network (and 99.9% of people are vulnerable to that).

You’d be surprised with how little setup Pi-hole needs. It will publish itself on the network and other devices will start using it for DNS (as long as there is no other DNS server active on the network), and so the devices on the network stop seeing ads.

This is the result:

Regarding Wi-Fi 6, it’ll still be a long time before all your devices are Wi-Fi 6 compliant anyway (and from what I heard that’s a requirement for the whole network to work at full speed), so I’m not worried about that. I can buy the used AX version of the UniFi gear when this starts becoming slow for me (if Wi-Fi 6 speed becomes that important, which I’m not really convinced, the current 630Mbps seems pretty good for me).

1 Like

Ugh, I have Salt and the exact same problems listed here (i.e. speed tests always showing super high speeds but opening links sometimes takes forever but same links then often open instantly on the second/third/fourth try). My salt fiber box is behind a thick cement wall so I thought that’s the problem, but the thing is - everything worked just fine until like ~3 months ago. Super annoying! It sucks that you need to buy additional equipment to make things work but I don’t really understand how was everything working just fine for 1.5 years prior to that with nothing changing?

@Bojack have you seen this troubleshooting guide from them? One of my numbers listed there is slightly off (Optical Tx Power is currently 3.496(dBm) but their PDF states it needs to be form 4 to 9) so I wonder if that has to do anything with the connectivity issues but haven’t myself contacted them yet having that number.

1 Like

Yes, same for me! It was fine just until like a month ago. I see some other Salt Boxes appear in my range, so maybe other neighbours got Salt Fiber too and now they interfere with each other?

It’s so nice to know I’m not alone in this boat and that I’m not imagining things! Salt support was not helpful and treated me like a tech noob. I never saw this guide you linked. Thank you for it, I will check it out once I’m back home.

If you say that this unifi nano is such a killer device, then maybe it’s worth splurging out 200 chf.

Regarding the setup: do I get it correctly that you buy this power adapter with two ethernet sockets, and connect salt->adapter->unifi? So unifi gets power over ethernet?

Microspot sells it for 160.- and you’d need either a PoE injector (15.-), or a Unifi Switch. I initially went with an injector, but ended up upgrading to a switch, since that allows me to power other devices with PoE too, resulting in less cables. One thing to be aware of is that these devices need a software to set them up (UniFi Network Controller). It exists for Mac, Linux and Windows, so you should be fine. I just run it on my NAS so that it keeps that nice dashboard with all the stats (also available on the smartphone), but if you don’t want that, you can just run the software during the setup and not use it at all after that.

Exactly.

By the way, a small piece of advice: save yourself a lot of potential trouble and always buy UTP patch cables for your Ethernet connections. Don’t be tempted like me to buy the more expensive shielded type unless you really know what you’re doing regarding regarding static electricity. I had a very weird problem a while back with occasional but regular internet dropouts (only for a few seconds) and it turned out to be due to the very well isolated cables I had bought. They were accumulating the static electricity until it generated an ESD and caused the switch port to reset for a few seconds. Fortunately I posted a description of the symptoms at my employers’ network Slack channel and an engineer understood the symptoms and helped me out.

Although it’s weird, think about it like this: it is not your hardware so you don’t know what is inside that box. Best to forget that, and own your own solution which you know works great no matter what.

Another thing to know about Unifi: they support their devices for a loong time, so you know that in a few years you’ll still have updates that make your device run great. I see it a bit as kind of the Tesla of the networking equipment.

2 Likes

Thanks for the valuable input! Would this be an adequate switch?

https://www.digitec.ch/de/s1/product/ubiquiti-unifi-switch-flex-mini-5-switch-12745975

But the hardware from Salt is still used at the modem / access point for the fiber cable, right? Or is it at all worth considering to replace it as well?

In the end it could end up costing a lot of money and being a lot of cables, ethernet and power, a big mess. You own an access point, a switch, a wifi, and a raspberry pi. That’s so complicated. I wish there was one device that unified these functions. Raspberry Pi was supposed to be an educational toy, not a home networking tool.

You need one with PoE like this one.

I actually went the whole way and replaced the router from the provider by a ubiquiti router with the fiber directly plugged in (I use wingo). However, I read that it doesn’t work with Salt because you need a specific piece of hardware to connect to their special 10G.

1 Like

No, that switch has no PoE ports so it wouldn’t help you. You’d need this one: https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/product/ubiquiti-us-8-60w-8-network-switches-6027156?tagIds=7, which is quite a bit more expensive unfortunately.

If you say that connecting through Ethernet is fine, I would leave the ISP device there. I’ve never ventured with replacing ISP hardware, so I don’t have experience to offer there. Also, I currently have cable, so if I later moved to another place or decided to get fiber, then I’d need a new device. Seems like a waste of money.

UniFi has all-in-one devices, such as the UniFi Dream Machine, might be a good fit for you. I think you can still add new access points later on should you need them, but it already has an access point/switch/security gateway/network controller built-in.

The Raspberry Pi is a Linux computer, and very capable at that. I also have another one where I run a Plex Media Player over HDMI. Hard to beat with 2W max power consumption (the Pi-Hole averages around 1.8W, so I wouldn’t want to run the Pi-Hole software on another machine, because it would very likely mean a higher power consumption without real-world benefits).

By the way, another advantage of using the Pi-Hole in my scenario is that it runs queries over DNSCrypt, meaning that the DNS queries are encrypted and your ISP/Google/Facebook can’t data-mine you regarding which sites you visit.

1 Like

Yeah sure, I know that raspberry pi is a beloved piece of hardware for all tweakers. It really fills a gap in the market. It’s a ultra-low power PC, which runs linux. I remember back in the day when my router was flashed with OpenWRT, I could do all sorts of things with it. OpenWRT was a linux, and there was a whole repository of “apps” to download.

The pi-hole or the plex server could be hosted directly on such a device, if it was powerful enough, agree? What we’re missing is some widespread open-source hardware + software combination for routers, with an app store. So you could download pi-hole/plex/www/ftp/torrent app there.

So for me all the numbers are within range. They say Rx Power should be above -29 dBm and I have -13, so I guess that’s above, right? Anyway, via cable I’m maxing out the ethernet, so I’m sure the fiber is fine. The issue lies within wi-fi (damn, there goes this “draft being edited in another window” crap, do you also get it?)

A bit late to the party but I’m fighting with them since Jun/July, when signal quality started having hiccups.
They now replaced my modem for the third time, I told them this is stupid because the issue was the poor quality of their wireless component (via ethernet my mac was doing 1Gbps in download, but wifi signal was super crap). Now the last one they sent doesn’t even reach 500Mbps via ethernet (I told them to activate back the previous one).

I told them, given they cannot provide the service they promise with such crap HW, they should provide couple of powerlines for free to extend the range. I don’t think they will do, but trying was for free.

I think I will end up buying a fritzbox and connect it via cable to the Salt modem and use that as main one.

It’s true that you get what you pay, but until this summer I never had issue with them, the service is good for the price (39CHF/m), and I’m also customer on mobile and so far so good. Let’s see

1 Like

Nice to know another case! So it could indeed be Salt’s fault. Maybe they just want to sell more repeaters :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. But what do you think changed, why dis you start getting issues? Bad firmware update? Some neighbour installed a router that interferes with yours?

It really seems like the Salt Box is crap, it really makes me roll my eyes when I think how proudly they market this device. The designer put his signature on a 10 Gbps crapbox…

I wanted to switch to Salt sooner or later but now I’m a bit scared.
If the problem is just the Wifi, I think I’m ok though. 39chf is almonst 20chf less than what I pay now, so I could “afford” to buy a decent router and maybe also a pihole or a nas with just 1 year savings. (or maybe two for the nas).

Can you backup the things you record btw?

I don’t understand the question :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I would gladly provide you with some evidence, that yes, a custom wifi solves the issue, but since it’s a significant expense with unknown outcome, I’m still procrastinating.

Sorry I wasn’t clear enough. I wondered if you can make an offsite backup of anything you record on the tv.

I don’t use the Salt TV app much. I know that it’s not the best piece of software.

Got Salt, and yeah, sometimes have some issues with the WIFI connection. However it is not that troublesome in my opinion.

TV is on ethernet in my case and works perfectly. Also the App and all. There is some replay function and also some recording, but never used it. Best thing is to call CS.