If I was an index investor

Edit: In my eagerness to find daily downloadable data, I’ve missed the entire point that global quality funds nowaday don’t track the MSCI World Quality Index. My apologies for that, the granularity part of my message can be ignored).

MSCI is usually transparent enough about their indices. I’d start with the index factsheet:
https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/344aa133-d8fa-4a15-b091-20a8fd024b65

Using the table with the year by year returns and converting that in CHF (using USD/CHF data at the start and end of the years) should allow for a decent enough comparison.

For more granularity, a fund like IWFQ/IWQU (iShares Edge World Quality Factor UCITS ETF) can be used (edit: no it can’t, see previous conversations and my other edits in this message. Refer to my edit at the bottom for an alternative proposition), with daily data downloadable through Yahoo Finance: iShares Edge MSCI World Quality Factor UCITS ETF (IWFQ.L) Stock Historical Prices & Data - Yahoo Finance

The Yahoo Finance linked version is in GBp (pences, so 0.01 GBP) and with an accumulating dividend policy.

Edit: Taking into account the remarks of my other edit on top, for more granularity, I’d use the chart provided in the MSCI World Quality Factor fact sheet and use the given yearly values to caliber it on whatever graphing software I like (Excel would work fine).

1 Like

Hi, currently looking at

• CH0253609066 CSIF (CH) III Equity World ex CH Quality - Pension Fund DB as well (for a libre passage account - Finpension)
  • CH0429081620 CSIF (CH) III Equity World ex CH Blue - Pension Fund Plus ZB Equities is hopefully an appropriate fund for comparison

According to their factsheets the Quality fund is the clear performance winner over 1/3/5 years:

… so what’s not to like - apart from perhaps

1. the relatively small fund size?
  2. the (smallish) TER?
  3. some uncertainty on whether it’s going to prevail throughout the merger/ takeover process?

Fwiw,

• on morningstar.ch it is possible to compare fund performance graphs over longer periods.
  • this site charts risk vs. performance for comparable (their selection, didn’t attempt to validate soundness) funds against each other.

Is it because the Wisdomtree ETFs are more focused on companies with strong ESG targets?
hence the difference in sectors?

trying to understand on how best to add quality to my portfolio. I am invested in Fundsmith (not a lot) but seems like active managed funds might not be the better than an ETF.

If not, if the fund gets wound down, you just choose another fund to invest in.
It’s not as if you pay capital gains tax in that event.

I honestly don’t get why one would one away from investing in CSIF funds in light of the takeover for that reason.

1 Like

So having gone down this thread a while ago and since then joining the Quality Qrew on my 3a with Finpension I was wondering if I should add a bit to it to my IBKR portfolio so as to not be almost 100% on VT.

That being said I’ve read that there’s really no clear answer on how to proceed in order to achieve that? It seems weird to me that there’s no ETF tracking such an Index.

It may be by buying SSON (but only smaller companies in this portfolio), or investing directly in the Fundsmith mutual fund via either IBKR or them directly. I read about here these last few weeks: Fundsmith Equity Fund - #292 by REandSTOCK

1 Like

Thanks @Julianek for originally starting this discussion - an excellent insight into the world of the quality factor and its premium over the market. Like a few in here I’m effectively all-in on CSIF World Quality ex CH. (95%, plus 4% Switzerland Total and 1% obligatory cash holding).

In an attempt to add constructively to this discussion; I’ve also been wondering recently whether it’s possible to provide even better risk-adjusted returns than (A) the market and (B) single-factor portfolios over the long term with what Finpension 3a offers fund-wise.

Note: as far as I’m aware, Finpension does not offer multi-factor ETFs that blend selection (e.g. an ETF that will list companies that are only value and quality, or only value and small, etc).

Everything I postulate below is from a 3a pension strategy perspective and therefore revolves around a long-term approach (contributing for the next 25-30 years). Needless to say, previous performance does not predict future performance.

For simplicity, holding ‘the market’ (which itself is considered a ‘factor’, but let’s pretend it isn’t) is standard all-cap global equity at market cap weighting exposure. Adding factors instead of/on top of the market is essentially a bet that x factor will outperform the market.

If we take the common ‘factors’:

1. The Market (outperforms treasury bills)
  2. Size (suggests small caps outperform large caps)
  3. Value (suggests undervalued stocks outperform overvalued / low price to book versus high price to book ratio)
  4. Profitability (suggests stocks with high operating profitability perform better versus low profitability) (an aspect of Quality)
  5. Investment (suggests stocks with high total asset growth have below average returns) (another aspect of Quality)

These first 5 form the Fama French 5 factor model, then another common 2 are:

1. Momentum
  2. Low-Volatility

In his paper (https://www.pwlcapital.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/Five-Factor-Investing-with-ETFs.pdf) Ben Felix makes the points that:

• There is a trade off between simplicity (e.g. holding a global all-cap index fund that only offers market risk) and optimisation (the inclusion of additional factors via increased risk but with excess returns)
  • Not all risks perform the same way over time
  • Diversifying factors may be more beneficial than diversifying geographically
  • The 5 factor model has been shown to cover around 95% of differences in returns between diversified portfolios
  • Factors should not be considered in isolation (a portfolio that focuses on profitability without controlling for relative price is likely to result in a portfolio of growth stocks, whilst a portfolio that focuses on price without controlling for profitability is likely to result in a portfolio of stocks with weak profitability
  • His paper also demonstrates:

US-only five factor returns annualised between 1963 and 2018:

Market (beats treasury bills) 5.09% pa
Small (beats large cap) 2.35% pa
High (beats low value) 3.48%
Robust (beats weak profitability) 2.84% pa
Conservative (beats aggressive investment) 3.19% pa

Global 5 factor returns annualised between 1990 and 2018:

(MKT) Market (beats treasury bills) 2.31% pa
(SmB) Small (beats large cap) 1.02% pa
(HmL) High (beats low value) 4.29%
(RmW) Robust (beats weak profitability) 4.06% pa
(CmA) Conservative (beats aggressive investment) 2.03% pa

BF also points out that the factor premiums come and go over time, but over enough time they have tended to be positive.

US only, factor excess return 10 year rolling (& 20 year rolling):

MKT: 80% of the time (100% of the time)
SmB: 73% of the time (82% of the time)
HmL: 89% of the time (100% of the time)
RmW: 86% of the time (100% of the time)

ex-US market, factor excess return 10 year rolling:

MKT: 89% of the time
SmB: 77% of the time
HmL: 80% of the time
RmW: 100% of the time

• When one risk factor is negative, at least one other will be positive.
  • One argument against holding the risk factors in your portfolio is that they might take a long time to pay off and value stocks are testament to that, they have underperformed growth stocks for just over 10 years.
  • The market has also underperformed for 10 year periods in the past, at which point the size and value premiums were generally positive AND the market has been less reliable at delivering premiums than these 2 factors

Summary from BF:

1. HmL (value) has been positive as often or more often than the Market return
  2. RmW (profitability) has been positive as often or more often than the Market return
  3. SmL (small caps) has been less reliable in north America (than the north American total market) but as reliable in developed and emerging (as their respective total markets). Note: growth stocks within small cap ETFs drag down performance, so unless a small cap value ETF is offered, expect poor risk adjusted returns - you may as well opt for the market.

Back on track… how does this apply to constructing a Finpension 3a account. The Finpension 3a account limits us to funds capturing:

1. The Market: CSIF & Swisscanto offer World Index ex CH, and separately CH

2. Value: CSIF World Value Weighted (ex CH)

3. Quality: CSIF World Quality (ex CH)

4. Small Cap: CSIF & Swisscanto offer World ex CH, and separately CH

5. Finpension does also offer a CSIF Minimum Volatility index - more on this shortly.

In light of BF’s paper, do we want to bother capturing Small Cap? Finpension does not offer a value-focused small cap fund, and knowing that any beta is eliminated by the existent of blend or growth companies within the small cap index, I personally won’t.

Now the matter of Value and Quality. Do we split investments across them, if so; equally or tilted? Do we opt for one over the other?

Lazard Wealth Management produced a document covering the power of Quality (https://www.lazardassetmanagement.com/docs/product/-s204-/115457/InternationalQualityGrowth-ThePowerOf.pdf). It demonstrates that the MSCI Quality Index has outperformed the MSCI Value Index and MSCI Growth Index against ‘The Market’ World Index between 1981 and 2023 enormously:

Quality: +266 bps (+26.6% per annum) versus the Market
Growth: +4 bps (+0.4% per annum) versus the Market
Value: -16 bps (-1.6% per annum) versus the Market

Notably Quality does underperform the Market, Value and Growth in most of the 1980s and from 2000-2008, the Quality premium is not found.

Virtus Investment Partners demonstrate this too (https://www.virtus.com/assets/files/6bt/quality_counts_investing_in_quality_over_the_long_term_4684.pdf), “a quality-focused portfolio tends to perform well over time—but not all the time”.

But the longer you stick with Quality, the more likely you will outperform the Market:

Notice below, that over this 20 year period, the (US) Quality Index had shallower drawdowns than the (US) Market in more than two thirds of the calendar years, and higher returns in the bull. It also outperformed in 3 out 4 periods. Overall, a smoother ride over longer periods, which bodes well for compounding.

According to Deprez (2016), across a different 22 year timeframe (1994 - 2016) - note: small Cap data was only 2001-2016
(Weiterleitungshinweis):

• The MSCI Small Cap, MSCI Momentum and MSCI Quality show the biggest outperformance versus the Market (+4.32pa, +3.37pa, +3.71pa respectively)
  • Quality Index realised consistent returns
  • Growth Index showed a negative return (-0.28%) versus the Market
  • Value-Weighted Index showed a statistically insignificant +0.69% return versus the Market
  • Value Index showed a statistically insignificant +0.07% return versus the Market
  • Minimum Volatility Index yielded +1.84% pa versus the Market
  • Small Cap Index smaller sample years make it incomparable to the other factors

…not that I would include small cap without a value specific tilt anyway.

And for absolute performance over this period:

INDEX: AVG RETURN: VOLATILTY

• MSCI World: 6.65%: 16.03%
  • MSCI Quality: 10.36%: 13.76%
  • MSCI Value-Weighted: 7.34%: 15.73%
  • MSCI Minimum Volatility: 8.49%: 10.78%

“MSCI Quality shows the biggest alpha”

I only referred to the Index’s available via Finpension because the rest are currently inaccessible and therefore can’t form a potentially split 3a portfolio.

The above paper also concludes that strategies combining two factors could provide “better diversified portfolios”.

MSCI have combined Quality, Value-Weighted and Low Volatility Indexes into an equally weighted “MSCI World Quality Mix” Index (33/33/33) (https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/2ff8f4b8-d320-45c5-aef7-659657b56d2a). Here is the fact sheet: https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/8e394834-878d-4db5-ab1a-16eb40295b19

This is not available via Finpension but could it be constructed using a split? More importantly, would we want to?

It finds that the correlation between each of the 3 individual factor indexes is low (based on data from 1988-2014, 26 years).

MSCI World Quality Mix provided higher active returns in periods of uncertainty and soft economic growth, performed ‘well’ in up markets (capturing >85% of market gains), but lagged in pronounced rallies.

Once again, between 1988-2014 MSCI World Quality Index produced the highest annualised returns (albeit with middle of the pack risk level):

But also note that in this 26 year period, the MSCI World Quality Mix does produce a higher Return/Risk ratio at 0.76 compared to 0.83 of the MSCI World Quality Index. Once again, MSCI World Quality gives the best returns for the risk taken - better again in these years than: the Market, Quality Mix, Value-Weighted and Minimum Volatility.

They conclude that “performance of an individual factor index can be cyclical: any factor can underperform for long periods. Therefore, a higher level of diversification may potentially be achieved in a multi-factor index by combining two or more of the factor indexes”. This we have heard before.

MSCI have produced data over a longer, 36 year period (1978-2014) “Multi Factor Indexes Made Simple” (https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/82035963-0458-4619-b3c6-9fca601e2869). I’d argue they don’t make it simple, as you’ll see below. But it does give good data for the single-factor indexes we can use (and maybe combine) via Finpension.

From the outset the show that “simple diversification” offers the smoothest ride over time. Their definition of this is an equally weighted combination of six factor indexes (equal weighted, value weighted, quality, momentum, min.vol and high dividend yield). Finpension doesn’t let us replicate this, so this is just for comparison against the Quality Index which we can use.

Notice that performances are all compared to MSCI World Index. Again showing the larger underperformance of MSCI Quality in the 1980’s, early 1990’s and mid 2000’s. However, it oscillates above/below but generally tracks the MSCI Simple Diversification strategy well. Also notice how Quality World (orange) and Value Weighted World (green) are completely inversely correlated.

This is reflected below:

INDEX: TOTAL RETURN: RETURN/RISK

MSCI World: 10.6%: 0.70
MSCI Min. Volatility: 10.9%: 0.91
MSCI Value Weighted: 11.9%: 0.79
MSCI Simple Diversification: 12.4%: 0.90
MSCI Quality: 12.5%: 0.86

• MSCI Quality returns the most (only just beating Simple Diversification by 0.01%)
  • MSCI Simple Diversification better risk adjusted returns than MSCI Quality (also, only just) by 0.04
  • As it should MSCI Min.Vol. best risk adjusted returns due to low volatility, but only just performs better than the MSCI World Index
  • All factors individually have better total returns and risk adjusted returns than the MSCI World Index

Cyclically speaking, the MSCI Quality Index is largely uncorrelated to both the MSCI Value-Weighted Index and MSCI Min.Vol Index (0.15 and 0.18 respectively).

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 15.17.22

The paper suggests that “using valuation or a measure of quality to weight each factor index is a rational and sensible approach, we also recognize that each factor premium may be better captured by a different fundamental signal”.

It proposes 3 approaches.

1. Valuation-based approach:
  • Belief: Factor indexes might be overcrowded/expensive.
  • Approach: Overweight cheap factor index & underweight expensive ones
  1. Quality-based approach:
  • Belief: Factor indexes with high ROE will outperform lower ones
  • Approach: Overweight high ROE indexes / underweight low ROE ones
  1. Blended-factor approach:
  • Belief: Factor indexes perform well when each of their underlying signals are strong
  • Approach: Weight each factor based on strength of underlying signal

→ I appreciate that as someone who wants to be able to set their Finpension funds (whether its 1 or 2 factor indexes and/or the Market), I am taking a slightly ‘active’ approach, but the 3 approaches suggested require far too much ongoing analysis of underlying signals and rebalancing for my preference. And likely so for the general ETF investor. Page 17 of the previous link gives more information on these approaches for anyone who is ambitious enough.

If you can be bothered (and not f*** it up - congrats if so), you will achieve returns (in excess of the MSCI Quality Index) of:

0.5% per annum for the valuation-based approach
0.4% per annum for the quality-based approach
0.9% per annum for the blended-factors approach

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 15.45.41

But this MSCI document does reinforce our findings from earlier, and supports them over a longer 36 year time from (1978-2014):

• The longer you stick with a single-factor OR multi-factor approach, the more likely you will outperform the MSCI World Index (the Market)

• Combining single-factor indexes into a multi-factor approach, you will increase the frequency of outperforming the Market

• For an investor with a horizon over 10+ years (…and has the skills, time to reweighs and intelligence…), the probability of outperforming the Market is the same for any multi-factor approach (Simple Diversification, Trend Following i.e. factors with strong past performance will deliver strong future performance so combine factors but weight in order of past performance, and Blended Factors).

Reminder: Finpension users cannot recreate the Simple Diversification strategy because not all 6 types of required factors are available as funds.

Interestingly, the above table shows that in any rolling period, all single-factors (apart from Min.Vol.) will outperform the Market more often than not after just 1 year.

Of the single-factor indexes available on Finpension:

Value-Weighted will:
outperform the Market more frequently from year 1 than Quality or Min.Vol;
outperform the Market 68% of the time after year 1;
outperform the Market 67% of the time from year 3;
outperform the Market 75% of the time from year 5;
outperform the Market 100% of the time after 10 years

Quality will:
outperform the Market just over half the time after 1 year;
outperform the Market 59% of the time after 3 years;
outperform the Market 67% of the time after 5 years;
outperform the Market 84% of the time after 10 years;
outperform the Market 94% of the time after 15 years;
outperform the Market 100% of the time after you hold it for 20 years or more;

Minimum Volatility will:
outperform the Market less than half the time after 1 year;
outperform the Market 55% of the time after 3 years;
outperform the Market 60% of the time after 5 years;
outperform the Market 69% of the time after 10 years;
outperform the Market 75% of the time after 15 years;
outperform the Market 86% of the time after 20 years;
outperform the Market 100% of the time but only after you hold it for 25+ years

The document also demonstrates volatility for each of the single factor indexes and the multi-factor portfolios:

Based on this information, as a long-horizon investor, with the ability to choose from the Market, Quality, Value-Weighted and Min.Vol - I question whether I would want to include Min.Vol in my portfolio at all.

Yes it provides low correlation to both the Value-Weighted and Quality Indexes (so a diversification benefit from a returns in cycle perspective). Yes it dampens volatility in portfolios very quickly. But we are factor investors because we want statistically significant returns over the Market. A return of +0.3% per annum over the Market (1978-2014) is not statistically significant, especially when the TER of the CSIF Min.Vol. fund is 0.09%.

At this stage we - or I - have removed the size factor and the volatility factor from desirable options (the penultimate chart will throw a curveball for Minimum Volatility…). Leaving us - temporarily - with; the Market, Quality and Value(-Weighted). Tell me if I’m wrong (seriously - this is a massive thought-exercise I need to write down to make sense of).

As we consider if and/or how we use both Quality and Value approaches, Schroders have an excellent overview of Quality (https://mybrand.schroders.com/m/a902880d3740f0e9/original/Why-Quality-stocks-offer-higher-return.pdf) - I highly recommend reading this.

It states that “Quality companies generate market like performance when Value stocks are leading, but outperform three-quarters of the time when Growth stocks lead” and that “Quality performs well during more volatile market environments, particularly when compared to Value based approaches.” “Quality also provides lower beta and volatility than the Market” (data 2000-2014).

So if Quality performs like the Market when Value is leading and has lower beta and volatility; do we need to invest (a bit) in the Market? Maybe. This section is ‘only’ based on 14 years of data and nothing guarantees future returns.

It also suggests “the end result [of investing in Quality] is an attractive strategy in its own right but one that also provides significant strategic diversification from Value based approaches thereby providing the building blocks to outperform across a wide array of market environments”. Diversification from Value is key. It doesn’t answer our question, but alludes to the idea that utilising both factors (separately) could be beneficial. It goes on to say…

“The complementary role of Value and Quality does not appear to be spurious [i.e. yes, they likely do complement each other, for the less literate]. We observe that higher quality companies have very different characteristics to Value stocks which are often less profitable, more cyclical and exhibit weaker balance sheets. Philosophically, it is also possible to argue that high quality companies are complementary to Value in the sense investors fail to incorporate the persistence of the positive attributes of quality companies into the future, particularly their profitability, whereas the opposite is often true for stocks with weaker fundamentals (which creates the value opportunity). The complementary nature of Value and Quality enables investors to construct a more balanced equity portfolio which is more likely to perform across a broad range of market environments.”

Asness et al. (2015, pg. 40), also found that:
“Clearly, value does not work best alone. Far from it. Combining it with other economically intuitive and empirically strong factors, such as profitability and momentum, builds the best portfolio.’’

Novy-Marx (2013) found that gross profitability is predominantly a growth strategy which is uncorrelated with value, therefore providing an excellent hedge against value. It’s important to note that the 2014 research by Novy-Marx which combined Value and Profitability (Quality) wasn’t a 50/50 allocation split across one Value-Weighted index and one Quality index. It was the backtesting of profitable value stocks.

AlphaArchitect has looked at the concept of a 50/50 US Value and Quality split (Value Factor Diversification: Is Quality Better Than Momentum? -). FWIW, we cannot use a Momentum Index in Finpension, so no further discussion on that. This graph isn’t completely representative because ‘the Market’ we refer to isn’t just SP500 stocks AND our indexes are World, not just US. Interestingly, in the US, this graph shows a gradual decline in CAGR for Value, 50/50 Value & Quality and 50/50 Value & Momentum relative to the SP500 - which calls into question efficacy of the factor premia. But we know that Value has underperformed massively the past decade, whilst growth (particularly FAANG) have flown.

It also demonstrates how split portfolios of these funds would have performed over the period:

Data again isn’t completely representative (fund wise) of what we have available at Finpension, but it’s food for thought.

The international (ex-US) Quality returns are interesting. But note that currently in comparison the CSIF World Quality is 77% US.

On the topic of SP500, S&P Global (https://www.spglobal.com/spdji/en/documents/research/research-the-merits-and-methods-of-multi-factor-investing.pdf) produced this document. It echos previous wider World Index findings regarding the low annualised volatility and high annualised total returns of the Quality factor (within the SP500).

Credit Suisse have also released 14 year data on their Min. Vol, Quality and Value-Weighted index funds, as well as a Quality Mix index fund - which isn’t on Finpension but can be recreated - as an equal split of the 3 aforementioned funds:

Screenshot 2024-02-01 at 17.19.13

At this point, information I’m posting is beginning to seem contradictory - given that the CS chart (albeit a smaller 14 year snapshot versus 36 years earlier from MSCI) shows a strong outperformance from Min.Vol., steady performance decline from Value-Weighted and Quality performing well outside of the mid 2000’s underperformance. The Quality Mix approach however, shows great outperformance. Similar to Quality but with far less overall volatility.

One final chart from Larry Swedroe/Robin Powell (https://www.evidenceinvestor.com/quality-the-flip-side-of-value/) via Obenshain (with data from 1996-2021) shows that Value and Quality pair well in terms of inverse correlation for market performance:

Swedroe/Powell concludes that “the evidence suggests that quality is an important characteristic for investors to consider, as well as cheapness (value). Thus, investors should consider including exposure to both in their portfolio design.”

I do not think it is wise to settle for just a 2 factor portfolio of Min.Vol and Value-weighted. Yes they are inversely(ish) correlated. But combined outperformance vs MSCI World Index since 2002 is lacklustre. Refer to chart at bottom right of this document: https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/cbdd6492-831c-479f-ba15-e9981a1c7644

Based off everything I have presented, as a Finpension 3a investor:

• which combination of factor funds would you opt for?
  • would you retain exposure to the Market?
  • finally; at which weightings if you decide to split?

Although I may have posed more questions than I answered, I hope this helps guide people in their choices - and also helps me. Looking forward to further discussion.

PS. Here are the fact sheets for:

MSCI World Quality
https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/344aa133-d8fa-4a15-b091-20a8fd024b65

MSCI World Value Weighted
https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/9133ebac-9308-4bb7-aeec-60c1dcd2c98a

MSCI Minimum Volatility
https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/4d26c754-8cb9-4fa8-84e6-a51930901367

MSCI Quality Mix
https://www.msci.com/documents/10199/8e394834-878d-4db5-ab1a-16eb40295b19

8 Likes

Thanks for the deep dive and amazing summary. I’ll have to read a couple of more times to absorb it all.

I’ve been using the value weighted fund in my 3a. I don’t see it a classical value fund but a slightly poor cousin on RAFI funds. In contrast to MSCI world value weighted, RAFI is slightly lower in size (inclusion of small caps) and has performed better.

But coming to bending of factors:

what novy-marx tested was profitable value stocks, which in my understanding are ‘best’ represented by dimensional and avantis funds. they both combine value with profitability (using slightly different definitions).

coming to ground reality of what finpension offers us today, I would (likely), combine quality & value weighted target 50:50 or 60:40 in favour of value weighted, by gradually adding quality. Given that quality has had a great run in past 10-15 years, I’m not that eager to add a lot of it at once. As a side note, I might be tempted to add Dimensional high profitability funds (DUHP,DIHP,DEHP) in my taxable (currently heavy on avantis SCV) before adding msci quality in my 3a.

Min vol and quality mix that you linked don’t seem interesting to me.

EDIT: the value weighted fund on finpesnion is CHF hedged. I have asked finpension in the past to add the unhedged version but they replied that there is not a lot of demand and adding funds increases their costs. If there are enough requests they might go ahead and add the unhedged version too.

1 Like

Playing devil’s advocate: why would you choose to weight towards value at 60:40 in a “set and leave” portfolio? The concept being hypothesised is to get into funds, regularly contribute and not adjust weighting regularly/actively trade them back and forth.

Some more info for the decision making process:

• Other than the past 3 years, Quality outperforms Value-Weighted in all periods of annualised returns since 1978. It always outperformed the Market, Min.Vol and Quality Mix in annualised returns since 1978. Between 1988-2014 it beat the Market by 3.9% annualised and by 1.9% annualised between 1978-2014.

See below a slide presented by Terry Smith (on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HRgxqpYD0E). Note: I think his graph title is wrong, it’s 1996 (not 1986) to 2020. Nevertheless, it shows the % by which MSCI World Quality outperforms the Market (MSCI World Index):

It echos Quality dominance in Exhibit 4 (1978-2014) and Exhibit 8 (1988-2014) in my last post.

Another nice visual on ‘high-quality’ versus ‘low-quality’ from MSCI (https://www.msci.com/www/blog-posts/quality-in-times-of-crisis/03073521261) 1996-2022.

Back to the rest:

• Quality Mix outperformed the Market, Value-Weighted and Min. Vol between 1988-2014. It beat the Market 2.3% annualised. With the additional 10 years (1978-2014), Quality Mix outperformed the Market by 1.16% annually, and outperformed Min.Vol. It only underperformed Value-Weighted by 0.26% annually in this period. Clearly Quality Mix is uplifted by virtue of its 33% weighting to Quality.

• Quality Mix did however underperform Value-Weighted in the last 3 annualised years (2021-2023). In the past 5 years annualised (2019-2023) Quality Mix (and to be fair, everything apart from Quality) underperformed the Market.

• Value-Weighted was the third best performer (1988-2014) - beating the Market 2.0% annualised. It was second best performer 1978-2014 beating the market 1.6% annually. Annualised over the last 5, 10 and 14 years it has been the fourth best performer.

• Minimum Volatility was the fourth best performer (1988-2014) - beating the Market 1.1% annualised. Min.Vol does seem to underperform the Market in almost every shorter period.

Depending on which period data is taken from, Min.Vol has varying success over the Market. In the short term, the periods/years in the first table show it has underperformed. But:

• 1976 - 2016: outperformed the Market by approx 0.6 - 0.7% annualised (second chart below)
  • 1978 - 2014: outperformed the Market 0.3% annualised (Exhibit 4, previous post)
  • 1988 - 2014: outperformed the Market 0.9% annualised (Exhibit 8, previous post)
  • 1994 - 2016: outperformed the Market 1.84% annualised (Deprez chart, previous post)
  • 1999 - 2022: outperformed the Market 1.7% annualised (first chart below)

This falls in line with Exhibit 9 in my last post; Min.Vol. outperforms the Market more frequently than not from 3 year rolling periods onwards (60% frequency from 5 year rolling, up to 100% in 25 year rolling periods).

Note: in these 2 graphs “value” is not Value Weighted. It refers to MSCI’s “Enhanced Value”. Not accessible via Finpension. Different holdings, weightings and performance.

Currently it seems:

1. Quality Index (single-factor) dominates everything, almost all the time - can’t blame people who go with just this in their 3a portfolio. If you combine Quality with other factors (Value Weighted and/or Min.Vol.) expect lower total returns than Quality alone, but you will probably still beat the Market.

2. Value Weighted Index (single-factor) has varied long-term performance, it waned in the last decade but picked up again over the past few years. Maybe it’s underperformance is a reason to now include it (cyclical behaviour). Maybe not a good strategy to go with just a Value Weighted Index in a 3a portfolio, but possibly deserves a place alongside Quality (50:50) or as part of Quality Mix (33:33:33).

3. Min. Vol. Index (single-factor) can seem underwhelming (versus the Market). But it has also routinely beaten the Market over different periods too. Like Value, might not be best used as a single-strategy if maximising returns over the Market is your goal, but worth considering in a multi-factor approach.

4. Quality Mix (a third each of Quality, Value-Weighted and Min.Vol. Indices) is an example of this. It regularly places as the second best option behind Quality as a single-factor.

As a Finpension 3a user, I would consider these portfolio weightings (in order of decreasing expected returns, but still outperforming the Market):

• Quality only (or c.95% Quality, 4-5% Switzerland, 1% cash)
  • Custom mix (50% Quality, 50% Value Weighted - this would have ranked as 2nd best performer in all timeframes given above, and displaced Quality Mix into 3rd place. Tipping further towards Quality would increase returns even more)
  • Quality Mix (self-created: 33% Quality, 33% Value Weighted, 33% Min.Vol, 1% cash)
  • Quality Mix (self-created: 33% Quality, c.32% Value Weighted, c.30% Min.Vol, c.4% Switzerland, 1% cash)

A custom multi-factor mix that also includes the Market would long-term outperform the Market, but likely underperform the single-factors or multi-factors here.

Such a shame Viac is not offering quality and value weighted factors etf !
It makes me want to migrate my 3a…
I asked them already and the founder told me it was in their wish list. If more investor will ask them, they will bump it to the top of their things to do …

3 Likes

Or email them to ask. They too told me that if there is sufficient interest, they would add funds (they keep a list of requests).

ISIN: CH0214975366
Name: CSIF (CH) III Equity World ex CH Value Weighted - Pension Fund
and/or its CHF-hedged version

ISIN: CH0214976778
Name: CSIF (CH) III Equity World ex CH Value Weighted - Pension Fund (CHF hedged)

No harm in asking finpension for the same fund too

How about holding a tilt of

• BRK.B+Fundsmith for Quality
  • AVUV+AVDV for Small cap Value

at IBKR, in addition to “regular” marked capped ETF (VT).
Sounds simple enough to me.

Total fees depend on your weights of course; only Fundsmith is somewhat more expensive at 1.04%.

1 Like

The high relative profitability (basically quality) etfs from dimensional would make a nice pair to avuv/avdv

• DIHP + DUHP

Brk.b has a very high p/e and fundsmith expense ratio is in no way justified imo

Eh, I think that’s an overstatement on BRK.B. How much is very high? I was under the impression that BRK.B’s P/E was around 20, which is considered at the upper limit of reason, while I now see it’s around 11, making it a value stock. VT is much more expensive at 17.x.

Fundsmith’s ER is indeed very high, very much not Bogle kosher.

Thanks for the great work @JXA. How can these data not make one giddy and greedy?

1 Like

Last I checked it was at 25, that‘s right aorund what I consider very high.

11 must be a display error for sure or else I would yolo all my life savings into it lol.

Probably still not a bad investment of course. Just too high for me personally and in this context specifically.

I am looking to add a tilt to my VT strategy, either value or quality.

It seems for world edit: value you now have access to AVGV, but for the MSCI World Quality index there is still no good solution outside of Finpension 3a, is this still the case?

Yes, unfortunately for us poor private investor.

BRK’s PE is meaningless because under accounting rules they have to account for movements in their unrealised gains and losses in its investment portfolio - obviously this injects so much volatility that the earnings figure is now useless.

You now need to separate out the operating income from their businesses from their investments to get a useful picture.

What about these?