Hausrat & Privathaftpflicht (Furniture & Private Liability)

Want to revive this topic.

What’s the insurance sum for your household/furniture? I took 50k and I’m not sure if I’m being naive there. Axa told me that for 2 and a 4.5 living room is should be at 70k.

We have 80k for two. But 30-40k would be well enough for our case (furniture is maybe 10k), so I wouldn‘t mind them paying me only 30-40k for all I have (in case it burns down or whatever else)

That’s also what I was wondering. Maybe all our stuff is worth 60-70k, but 50k would be plenty to buy everything new.

I just walked through every room and calculated how much it would cost me to replace every item in that room (with a cut-off; of course I didn’t take pens etc into account…). It added up to roughly 40k. To be safe, I just added 10k on top of that.

What’s more important is to remember that taking an insurance can be compared with gambling: You bet against the insurance company that the insured event will happen and they have to pay for it. As it is the case with gambling, the house wins in the long run (otherwise insurance companies wouldn’t be profitable). Therefore, if you take out an insurance, you are statistically losing money.
My personal conclusion from that is, that I only try to insure catastrophic events I cannot afford to happen, like liability claims that can litterally ruin your entire financial future. This means: liability insurance with maximum coverage (but highest deductible as well; having to pay 5k won’t ruin me, but 5M surely will), houshold insurance (max deductible too) and health insurance as well, but that is mandatory anyway.

What I’m currently contemplating is a cyber insurance that would cover me in case my (broker-) accounts get emptied… I haven’t decided yet, however.

3 Likes

cyber insurance is expensive. Postfinance has it for free for the first 100k though.

Beware of putting a value too high on the value of your apartment. I heard several times that if something happens and the value is too high, they will pay less than expected. I have no idea what it means. It might be that they believed I’m dumb and ask for the amount published or something. I wonder if someone heard something similar.
In number: If your apt. is worth 20k and you put 30k, they say that you might get less than 20k back from them. I believe they meant less than 30k (more logical)

Thats completely correct, the reason is VVG Art. 51 (german): Fedlex (“overinsurance”)

Same for underinsurance where your benefits are “shorted”

Then I‘d claim back the difference I accumulated by overinsuring since I started my contract with them. Bloody lobbying, some laws are ridiculous.

… Then just declare a correct value in the first place then…? And a total loss (that matters in this case) is quite unusual…

Insurance is for covering risks - never for generating of some sort of (surplus) benefits…

It‘s like opening a bank account with 10k and 0% and only getting out 9k out of it. You have a receipt for the 10k, why wouldn‘t they give you the 10k?

Similar why would they insure a value without checking that your eligible (I agree this would be a huge overhead), but then bloody pay what the costumer paid for.

No way they won’t pay you 50k (value of all your stuff) if you made an insurance of 70k? Maybe you just overstated it?

How do you even proof the value of your stuff?

I neither have a full inventory nor it‘s receipts

I guess if a fire really destroys everything, they will just pay you out the insurance sum.

You should have fotos etc of your stuff, especially the valuable one (and it’s receipts of course would be the best).

Especially the valuable stuff.

What‘s valuable? With a NW of about 250k I have not one item that‘s worth more than 1% of my NW.

No, in no way this example is similar to the case of insure of some sort of risks…

… normally yes. But not in case of over-/underinsurance (declaring a insurance sum too high/low)

I guess I’ll make a document with photos and a whole inventar with prices. Nothing can happen to it in my cloud.

Then I would even wonder why to have a Hausrat… Some people might have music instruments etc where it makes sense. A piano can be easily worth 6K alone, and it would be a really simple one.

But easiest is take some photos so you can prove what you had and what you need to buy new (got that tip of some wiso episode or something similar…)

Because things add up.

I only have private liability (it’s less than 100 CHF/year)
Taken independently all my belongings are fairly cheap: 3 items between 1k and 1.5k, everything else substantially less.
The chances of everything going up into flames are very small, and if it’s not my fault it will probably be covered by the (mandatory) liability insurance of the tenant who set fire to the building.
Even the salesman from Axa told me that the furniture insurance was not worth it in my situation… :smile:
But then if you have valuable and/or fragile items it obviously can make sense.

1 Like

Beware, sometimes you can’t get an apartment if you don’t show/tell that you ahve the hausrat.