Coronavirus: when do we reach the bottom of the dip?

I took the online data and made a chart that I was missing. I believe you can evaluate the stage each country is in by the steepness of the slope. One country that looks weird is Japan. They have not seen an explosion of cases, but are slowly creeping up since a long time. South Korea already looks good, and Italy and Iran will probably follow suit. All other countries on the chart are 1-2 weeks behind, so I think we will have to wait this much to see a drop in cases.

2 Likes

I have some difficulties understanding the difference between some colors. Can you add symbols as well?

Btw, Italy’s new cases are really low today (50% lower than yesterday?). I believe the lockdown made it more difficult/cumbersome to go get tested and some people prefer to stay at home instead of getting tested since they won’t feel that bad (that is: it seems to them like a normal flu). I think it’s a positive thing.

There is another reason for that: they are still missing yesterday’s data from Lombardia (the lab had too many samples to test and did not deliver
). If you look at the plots from other regions (Emilia Romagna and Veneto) you’ll see that the increase rate in new cases is unchanged.

2 Likes

The plan I came up with is: buy ~100 shares of VT for each unit of price that it decreases (I purchased at 70, 69, 68
 next limit order is 67 - I hope it won’t get executed!).

If the markets will keep dropping, I have enough liquidity in USD on IB that I’m willing to invest in stocks to purchase 100 shares down to price 40 USD per share (Feb 19th peak was 83 USD per share).
I also have another 65k EUR sitting on my IB account.

If the markets recovery, I’ll get back into 20k per month, but taking into account that I overinvested during last 2 months according to my plan. That means if my limit order at 67 never triggers, I’m going to restart investing 20k per month from May I guess.

I don’t claim it to be a smart strategy, but it makes me feel better so I’ll try to stick with it.

4 Likes

Interesting approach of Swiss authorities to make the stats look much better ;):

It sounds like a good idea if you think that most of the people can recover from that easily. It is a bad plan because some people will just believe coronavirus isn’t really catching up in Switzerland.

So we are again at a typical swiss myopic thing.

I was just discussing lately how people in charge are just passing the responsibilities around. Schools pass it to the cantonal doctors. The cantonal doctors pass it to BAG. BAG probably ask some big pharma what they prefer to see

1 Like

That makes the stats look better for a few days.

If it’s really the case that most of the people can recover from that easily or even have no symptoms while being infected, makes it good decision, because it will lower the burden on the health system, lower the costs of tests (health insurance companies will be happy
), probably lower the panic amongst ordinary people etc.

But what about people in risk groups? It looks like kind of natural selection

Plus - wonder what would be the impact on treating people from Switzerland in other countries (as mentioned in the article).

I have heard the data was incomplete. Let’s see today.

How about now?

1 Like

Those are tested.

I think that was the problem on Singapore ? I don’t even remember if I’ve read it here or elsewhere
 ops.

Some slight panic might help. Especially for young people that disregard what the government says. That is especially bad since the government is really pro-industry, which means they are slow to set quarantine rules and so on

and now in Ticino they start to see the typical seasonal “it’s not that bad
I’m sure i’ll get better later” thing.

Will they be arrested? I think the government did not set anything legally. Not like in Italy where the self-certification might sound dumb until people do something bad and get arrested.

If people were actually following guidelines then it makes sense. They don’t need to test tons of people, because as you have any symptoms (e.g. fever), you’re supposed to self isolate: https://www.bag.admin.ch/bag/en/home/krankheiten/ausbrueche-epidemien-pandemien/aktuelle-ausbrueche-epidemien/novel-cov/selbst-isolierung-und-selbst-quarantaene.html

If people were doing that (and checking temperature daily or more), then it should massively lower the contamination rate and they can focus the testing and care of the most serious cases.

Yes, but the question how those untested will behave? If they isolate themselves, the spread will be somehow contained. If not, the virus will spread very quickly everywhere - affecting those in the risk groups at most. This is what I meant as natural selection.

I guess people can spread the virus even before they feel any symptoms?

Indeed some people have very mild symptoms they might not feel/notice (or just ignore), afaik body temperature monitoring should be reliable.

Meanwhile, in the markets
 Boeing is back into the stratosphere!..

I would have guessed that @ma0 is colorblind and what he/she needed were different symbols per line. :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, this graph is similar and also quite interesting:

In Spanish there’s a saying that says “Cuando las barbas de tu vecino veas afeitar, pon las tuyas a remojar”, which I guess you’d literally translate as “When you see your neighbor getting shaved, start soaking your beard”.

Indeed, today the rate of increase is back to what we have seen during the last days. :frowning:

sp500 has to go down 1.7% more and the bear market is official

2 Likes