Coronavirus: when do we reach the bottom of the dip?

We have a new record for daily new cases in Switzerland.

1 Like

I guess salsa parties had quite some impact, at least in Zurich.

Still not too late to overweight e-commerce and cloud computing. Just sayin’ :wink:

in the news today:

2 Likes

Probably few noticed, but EM are outperforming S&P500 ytd, and even more so EMQQ is outperforming QQQ.

on the graph EMQQ, QQQ, MTUM, XSOE, SPX, EEM

EMQQ beats QQQ handily, and XSOE beats SPX.
XSOE are emerging markets excluding state-owned companies. I will be replacing VWO vs XSOE in my passive portfolio.

1 Like

That seems like quite a momentum-chasing de-diversification (and 3x higher TER - yet still pretty low, true).

It outperforms since inception to be fair.

I’ll be more then happy to get rid of state-controlled enterprises for a modest price increase.

Coming back to the virus, after observing the numbers I’m starting to get a bit worried. The number of new cases goes up quickly. The number of countries you can go to without quarantine is shrinking. So far it doesn’t result in higher death rates, but I guess it’s just a matter of time. What do you think? Is this time different than in spring? Or is the worst only ahead of us?

1 Like

Which is just ~4 years. :slight_smile:

But as you say this reduction might not be a bad idea; and anyway the top (quality) holdings are non-state-held anyway.

I’m pretty sure no one is doing any travelling in the next quarter or two. Same for Christmas shopping other than online shopping.

Lockdowns will come if hospitals exceed ICU capacities, even if no-one admits it.

Then again, November-December is quite likely to see first vaccine approvals, but it’s still a long way until mass vaccination.

I believe we will not see a lockdown any time soon. The number are higher, but hospitals are doing fine apparently. The virus is probably weaker now (if I remember virus theory
)

Tell that to eg. France (in some regions hospitals start to be very busy).

Personally I don’t think virus really changed (amount of testing and people behavior did tho).

1 Like

It is different for sure.
There is way more testing, way more knowledge about the virus and course of infection, cases are picked up earlier, there are better treatments, etc
 2000 cases of today are not the same to the 2000 cases of end of march/beginning of April, because most of the current cases might be younger, healthier patients picked up early in the infection cycle. This is the main reason for the low pressure on ICUs (more than the death rate, since there is a delay between cases and deaths, they will go a bit up in the next two weeks).
In this sense looking at raw number of cases is not a great way of comparing infection cycles from very different periods of the year.

There is no real evidence to say the virus is weaker. This is not to say that it is impossible, but at the moment there’s no compelling evidence that that’s the case.

But also yes, it is likely the situation is gonna get worse before it gets better. I doubt countries can afford total lockdowns like in spring (not that we really had one in CH
) but some stricter restrictions for the next six months are to be expected.

Come on, it was a lockdown. My gf did not work for a month (and she works in healthcare) and we just both sat at home, only going out shopping.

With a doubling time of 7 days, we will reach the same level as in the first wave in 2-3 weeks.

I guess it’s all relative.
You could still be outside, even in groups if smaller than 5, so I remember people in parks, along the river and so on. In other countries like Spain or Italy, people were actually forbidden to leave their house if not for grocery shopping (for which they had to fill a form), people could not be found by the police more than a certain distance from their place of residence.

I am not saying this was good or is desirable now at all, but a total lockdown is way more strict than what we had here.

5 Likes

Sure and in Wuhan apartment doors were welded to keep people inside. I guess they can say we in Europe had no real lockdown :wink:

1 Like

The crazy thing is, that the difference between 700 cases per day a week a go and 50 cases per day would have been preventing 10% of infections over the last 4 months.

So something which is unclear to me, do regular Coronavirus root flu’s w/o the horrible lung affecting issues (e.g. all non Sars2-COVID-19 colleagues of the virus) also trigger the corona tests? An uncle of mine was tested positive last week but seemingly only has “regular” flu symptoms (joint pain, fever, tiredness).

If that would be the case the numbers can’t be trusted anymore no?

No the PCR-Tests only detect RNA from Sars-CoV-2

6 Likes

What are some ways we could prepare now for a worsened situation in winter (with the possibility of some sort of lockdown)?

I’m thinking about:

• buying better home-office equipment (office chair, ergonomic mouse)
  • buying workout weights or resistance bands
  • buying enough groceries so that I wouldn’t have to bother anyone, when I will (eventually) have to quarantine
1 Like