Coronavirus: when do we reach the bottom of the dip?

I mean masks are quite cheap right now, you can buy certified masks for around 20 Rp. per piece. Is it really such a hassle to carry a pack of 20 or so masks with you?

I’m skeptical about cotton masks, they have a lower filtration and you should disinfect them with 60°C hot water after each use. I highly doubt that people do that.

That’s the only mistake you make…or at least it seems. How do you put them back?

Are you serious? Yes it’s a big hassle. Should I carry a backpack just for the masks? Do you live in the real World? I know nobody who does it all exactly right. And most do it totally wrong.

And did you see the photos of streets full of used masks? Is waste reduction no longer an issue? With billions of masks used every day one can only imagine how much garbage we will produce.

I fold it the white side to the inside. I always wear the mask where it’s required, don’t want to get in any stressful situations. Can’t imagine I’m the only one here, maybe the others are shamed into silence.

1 Like

Yes? You can also package a few and put them in your back-pocket. This shouldn’t be a big deal.

Personally I find waste to be a much smaller issue than it takes up space in the public discourse. Properly managed waste has such a negligible impact on the environment that we should not spend that much time worrying about it.

Littering is a different problem, but I haven’t seen many masks on the ground.

1 Like

I’m using my masks for 4-5 days straight lol.

3 Likes

I can recommend this article if you care about your health and the health of others. It answers many questions and gives hints for every day use:

1 Like

The keyword here is “Properly”. But even if properly managed, I don’t see how 7 billion people x several masks per day can have a negligible impact on the environment. Sounds like wishful thinking.

1 Like

You’d have to evaluate it in the context of all the waste produced by those 7 billions of people. My bet is that would only be a small increase. Besides, not all those 7 billions people have access to masks, which is part of the tragedy of the current situation.

Like everything else in life, it’s a matter of weighting the situation: do masks bring something positive to the current situation? What are the cons of it? And if we seriously want to address the global waste problems, would there be other places where we could have a more significant impact that wouldn’t negatively affect the global health situation (assuming masks do have an impact on it)?

3 Likes

I don’t like the tone of your comment and the assumptions that you make. I wrote multiple times, I play by the rules so I don’t know why I should “leave society”. I’m not trolling around, I’m just raising some points, discussing. But I guess you would prefer me to just shut up.

Haha I am guilty of this too - when I first started wearing a mask I would keep it in plastic ziplock bag in my pocket and sanitise my hands each time I took it off and put it back on again - now I have become much more lazy and just fold it and keep it in my pocket.

I wear a reusable mask I bought from Amazon whilst back in the UK and wash it each week, but I should probably be more careful.

That said, I have no issue with wearing a mask and I honestly think that I would continue wearing one in public transport even after this whole pandemic eventually blows over - its just become a habit now.

1 Like

I don’t know what you’re smoking :slight_smile: , but there’s a long way from discussing pros and cons of masks in a corona thread on a forum, to launching initiatives or protesting on the street against wearing masks. Before I would take such a step, I would need to have a very strong conviction and I don’t. And I’m tired of people putting me together in the same group as corona deniers, just because I don’t repeat the “masks are good, wear masks” mantra…

It sounded harsh but I think it wasn’t directed at anyone.

2 Likes

Did my quarterly investing/rebalancing yesterday.

But reading the news today that might have been a bad timing…

1 Like

Who knows. But seeing that Trump has COVID-19, many people who’ve been in denial might realize that it’s a real threat.

Or it will be the opposite. If they go through it without any problems, people will say: see, nothing to be afraid of.

1 Like

Sold some vti, bought others. (Was not pure rebalancing, I was investing savings, less than half of it went into stock)

Orangeman didn’t get the Covfefe… It’s 99% a trick to move the attention away from other issues and/or show that he’s a superman after he’ll show in “full health” (relative to his normal health I mean).

4 Likes

Where did the other half go, out of curiosity?

CHF cash, I’ll probably transfer some of my CHF to pillar2 before end of year.

You talking about me? :grinning:

4 Likes