Cannot add VT to DA-1

I’m currently trying to file my tax return in Zurich. I invest into VT on InteractiveBrokers, meaning the US withholds a 15% tax on dividend (15% instead of 30% since I filed a W8-BEN).
I was under the impression that I could get these 15% back by filing a DA-1 in addition to the normal tax return.

However, when using the ZHprivateTax application, I cannot add VT in the DA-1 security list.
I was able to list VT in the security list for net worth, which has the same UI as the one for DA-1.
However, I’m only able to find VT when it comes to adding securities for the net worth, not for DA-1.

I reached out to the ZHprivateTax support and they told me that the application should automatically suggest adding securities from the net worth list to DA-1 if it is possible. Because that’s not happening, they suggested that I probably cannot put VT into the DA-1. However, they also added a disclaimer that they only maintain the ZHprivateTax application but are not familiar with what securities belong into DA-1.

I’m pretty confused by all of this, since:

• VT is clearly based in the US
  • I had tax withheld
  • I read in several places that I should be able to get those back using the DA-1

I also tried adding VOO/VTI (even though I do not hold them) just to see what happens, and I also wasn’t able to find/add them in the application.

Does anyone have an idea what’s going wrong here or what I’m missing? :slight_smile:

The DA-1 search doesn’t find VT or other US-ETFs that people on this forum have.
I just copied the information from ICTax into the DA-1 manually, as it can be found via the ICTax search. This has worked for me in the past.

3 Likes

Does that mean you do not use ZHprivateTax for the DA-1? Do you just export the PDF, manually fill stuff in there, and then print and send it via mail?

I use the tool and put all by hand. slowly.

I’m trying to write a python script to help me, but unfortunately the only useful library out there doesn’t recognize fields with the same name. I might have to create a fdf and use it. :confused:

2 Likes

Yes I do use ZHPrivateTax. You can add securities also without the search. You just have to fill in all the information that the search would otherwise pre-fill for you.

1 Like

Ohh, I didn’t realize I could just manually enter anything. That’s really good to know!

I always went into the more detailed view (double click on any input field or by clicking that edit button) with the search functionality, and that blocked all input fields if it did not find the security.

I’ll give it another try with manually editing then :slight_smile: Thanks for the help!

You need to un-check the button to search for online kursliste. Then you can add things manually.
(doing things manually was part of the motivation to trim my portfolio :slight_smile:)

2 Likes

Nice, I totally missed that. That makes it a bit easier to fill out :slight_smile:

@ma0 Now I also understand what a script would be useful for. You should definitely consider putting it on GitHub if you manage to automate parts!

This topic pops up every year a couple of times. I did some research last year and talked to the guy who is actually handling the DA-1 in ZH.

This post may help.

1 Like

Thanks for linking that post! It was very useful to read.

And thanks everyone else for commenting. Thanks to your help I managed to fill out the DA-1 and complete my tax return. We’ll see if it was successful, but based on the other thread I now at least have a good idea of how it should work :slight_smile:

To give a short update to this post: I received mail from the Zurich tax agency today telling me that they’ll transfer me the amount requested in my DA1 directly to my bank account.

So it all worked out fine, and I’m actually pleasantly surprised by how quickly I heard back. Especially considering that it seems to take years to hear back about the standard tax returns. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It’s my first year trying to fill-in the DA-1 form and navigate Zürich taxes. Spoiler alert: it’s not easy if you aren’t bilingual and tax logic isn’t your forte.

Anyway, I don’t understand the comments above as I was able to find VT in the ZH Privat Tax software.
Has it been fixed since last year? Am I looking at the wrong thing?

Yes it’s been fixed, ictax reports it as qualified now.

1 Like

Frustratingly, in canton Lucerne’s tax software this is still an issue. In this particular software it also doesn’t help to uncheck the online-lookup, since it stores the values locally as well and automatically forces ETFs into the funds category.

Here’s the workaround (worked last year, for this year I guess I will know for sure only once the money is credited):

• Locate the file “ICTAX2020-2.3.jar” in your installation folder (should be in subfolder “webapp\app\WEB-INF\lib”).
  • Make a backup copy of it.
  • Add .zip to its name, i.e. “ICTAX2020-2.3.jar.zip”.
  • Open the file and locate funds.csv within the subfolder “securities2020”.
  • Open “funds.csv”, find the ETFs you want to add and change the valoren & ISIN numbers to something random. That way automatic lookups will not find these ETFs and manual input is possible.
  • Save, close, rename back to “ICTAX2020-2.3.jar”.
  • Depending on your setup & installation path it might be easier to do this outside of the “C:\Program Files” path.

ETFs can now be added as ‘category C’ stocks with DA-1 input fields available. Unchecking the online-lookup is probably still necessary.

2 Likes

I am having the issue in Kt. Zug where the tax software doesn’t allow me to click the “DA-1” box (I also have shares in VT and have paid withholding tax).

I wrote to the Canton asking about this and received the following reply:

“Der Steuerrückbehalt USA kann nur geltend gemacht werden, wenn die Titel in der Schweiz deponiert sind.”

The thing is, I have made all these deposits from Switzerland. My Int. Brokers account is registered to my address in Switzerland and the base currency of my account is CHF. Can anyone cast any light on this?

Otherwise I’ll just go ahead as people said above and enter it manually into the system.

Thanks!

Mike

Same issue in AG. Got it solved by entering it as a stock.

Have you guys tried this approach? (had to do it for BS)

This year I am attempting a one-liner though - where all of the IBKR holdings are listed summarized with only 3 numbers - total worth at 31.12., total dividends, total dividends subject to WHT (DA-1).
I attached the full report from IBKR with it, we will see if they prefer this simplicity. :slight_smile:

Your broker is not swiss, so you can’t claim the extra withholding.

You need to declare the “DA-1 – Antrag auf Anrechnung ausländischer Quellensteuern für ausländische Dividenden und Zinsen” and not the “R-US 164 - Antrag auf Rückerstattung des zusätzlichen Steuerrückbehaltes USA”

Regardless of the cash / bank transfer “deposits” you made, your residence address and currency, the securities are not deposited with a Swiss broker or Swiss security depository.

This!