3rd pillar investment solution from VIAC

Ausgabeaufschläge are often waived due to agreements in place anyway.

In all honesty, giving customers the choice of that interval is just overcomplicating things.

Additionally, a whole year is a rather long rebalancing interval. Given that, larger (non-) rebalancing „gaps“ can arise within a year, effectively considerably distorting the tracking of indices.

And I‘m not aware of any exchange-traded fund - let alone index tracking ones - that rebalance only once a year. It‘s monthly, maybe quarterly.

Therefore, I think they’re doing exactly what they should: keeping things reasonably simple while reasonably adhering to a given strategy.

Why should they? The management cost is incurred for an account that contains (yet-to-be taxed) untaxed money.

If you want to go Fire, how useful is adding money to 2nd or 3rd pillar anyway?
After all, you want to retire early.

Is there a thread with calculations somewhere?

@San_Francisco I think I didn’t make myself clear; of course the ETFs need to rebalance regularly (their TER is only 0.1% anyway so that’s not where my complaint lies). However, within my 3a pillar, VZ (charging the big bucks at 0.68% annually) will make sell/purchase transactions to stick to the “defined strategy” (i.e. the split/allocation between Global/Swiss equity/ Real estate / Raw materials /cash / etc.) these transactions really amount to nothing at all (selling 10francs of this, buying 10 francs of that, yet still all in all some 10~15 transactions per month) irrespective of new funds coming in. This is rather futile and doing this once a year is more than enough for most investors.

1 Like

You can account for 2a and 3a kicking in at official retirement dates, while still using the tax advantages;.

This calculator allows you to compare between investing 3a and investing directly. It depends a lot on your Grenzsteuersatz if it’s worth the hassle.

1 Like

the obermatt calculator is really skewed towards “their” solution. do not put trust in their sheet. Their assumptions are detached from reality.
a more accurate and transparent calculator can be found in my 3a Tutorial behind this link

2 Likes

Yeah, I figured out that Obermatt was very anti-3a for a long time. I see his sheet more starting point than solution. And I’ll look forward to look at yours.

In my case, I have also childcare-subsidies coming in due to “low” income. So I have more than the tax money alone at stake which complicates the calculus even more.

Would it then make sense to only buy CHF-denominated funds in VIAC?

Now I have:
25% SPI extra
12% SMI
30% CSIF world ex CH (in USD)
rest is cash waiting for a dip like these days’ one

If I look for funds denominated in CH (no bonds), I see:
CSIF SMI (costs 0%)
CSIF SPI extra (0%)
UBF ETF SLI (0.2%) not sure how this one differs from the SMI above - need to check
CSIF CH real estate (0%)

Would it make sense to find a balance between only these funds to avoid the high fees on USD/CHF conversion?

The assumption is that I have the rest of the world covered in IB, in USD and EUR, and VIAC would only have enough funds to justify exposure to CH market.

unfortunately they only allow me to buy a small percentage of SMI and SPI extra…

I do have emerging makets in my IB portfolio, plus European and America REITs

That depends on the amounts. I invest much more than the 6.7K yearly 3a money in the rest of the world (which, ok, also includes Switzerland)

I tend to avoid high dividend stocks.

1 Like

I ran the numbers and by buying the max allowed of SPI, SMI and real estate with all my viac money I would achieve a 10% stock exposure to CH (also taking into account my other etfs which contain swiss stocks) and 1% of my NW in terms of Swiss REITs, which I find good.

Unfortunately, by maximizing all these funds I am still left with 15% cash, a bit too much for my taste. Maybe some corporate bonds? Will have to decide tonight, hoping the bottom is in.

That’s what I would ideally do, but without leaving the CHF I can only buy the UBS SLI fund which is exactly like the SMI and costs 0.2. Maybe I get some world ex CH and forget about some forex exchange fees…

Viac has 2% absolute rebalancing bands. As markets are highly correlated rebalancing will be very rare.

I wouldn’t make my decisions based on this (hope).

1 Like

I followed your advice and waited, I was also too tired to do anything yesterday. Today starts solid green, I knew it :slight_smile:

Well, now it’s back into red. Let’s see what March brings us.

2nd pillar solution will be ready by end of this month.

yes, i am sick of this :smiley:

1 Like

https://www.morningstar.ch/ch/funds/snapshot/snapshot.aspx?id=F00000HGRG&tab=3

Large Cap: 26.40%
Mid Cap: 49.90%
Small Cap: 23.70%

It’s a Mid Cap Growth fund, so unfortunately no small cap value premium. Nevertheless I chose 7% SMI and 30% SPI Extra in Viac.

As a short aside, I really wish the VIAC app showed the total combined balance of all opened 3a accounts on the very first screen, rather than making you swipe through and calculate it all manually…

3 Likes

They have this sorted out in the web app; I agree it would be useful to have it sit in the mobile too. :slight_smile:
Looping in @VIAC_Daniel

1 Like