Where do you look for salary information?

This place is kind of part academic and part commercial. No idea how did you manage to get such an offer. Congratulations!

1 Like

awesome, thank you for your mind! I will accept without discussing :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can check levels.fyi, I guess google/apple/etc are the market reference for IBM. Fresh PhD is typically L4 at google.

Though I agree with the others that the offer is good, why not trying to negotiate up a bit? Also, AI is quite in demand these days so you should be able to land better offers (maybe not in terms of base salary, but in terms of stock) from Google/Apple/Facebook.

4 Likes

Sorry to jump in so late, but I would tend to disagree with the others that it is a very high salary.
As of five years ago, some of my friends were getting offers of 130k for engineering positions with a masters in computer science.
I would expect the several years spent on a PhD to be worth a lot more than 15k, especially in a field as hot as AI.

IBM should be a great place to work though, congrats!

Just went on Salarium - Statistical salary calculator to do my yearly research on how my salary compares to peers and discovered that the tool is discontinued and a replacement will arrive only in Q4-2024!

I am now puzzled on what kind of message to use towards my HR to demand a proper salary increase.

(Latest 2023 guide in English: https://www.michaelpage.ch/sites/michaelpage.ch/files/protected-documents/2023-03/PageGroup_Salary%20Guide%202023_EN.pdf )

2 Likes

Salarium is (was) nice, but I always had many issues understanding how to classify the company I work for. Amount do swings a lot.

1 Like

The only thing that will make the HR react is an offer or a counter proposition from a competitor.

1 Like