What's your VIAC/Finpension 3A strategy for the next months?

They’re merely trying to help you staying the course, or at least that’s what they believe. There’s that.

Cos if investing was seen as too simplistic (which in reality it is), all those folks would be out of a job!
But yes a few geniuses will succeed in beating the markets constantly and they will generally make a good living off working for persons whose financials require more than dca’ing in VT.
The thing is you are not either of them. Keep it simple!

Many people stuff themselves with information for no reason other than fighting boredomness/emptiness, addiction to newsfeeds, internet and socials as well as FOMO. Especially nowadays where everyone is so desperately afraid of missing the train that will lead them to their fantasized dream life of getting rich fast, retiring early and traveling the world.

1 Like

The same strategy since 2006: (Max year amount of 3a / 12) in highest stock package (global 100 atm). Best DCA of my life.

4 Likes

That’s a question worth it’s own thread, if you open it (or revive an existing one if there is one), I’ll be glad to participate. Common wisdom is to use age in bonds for a retirement glidepath but there are many alternatives to that common wisdom, including a more agressive path, liability matching ladders, bond tents, having different asset classes into the mix, lifecycle investing and probably other aspects I’m not thinking of right now.

For me, I’m willing to have a 100% conservative assets allocation (including more than just bonds) at the time of my death, but wouldn’t fret still having some agressive assets if I die earlier. Leaning on the conservative side, Edit: scratch this: [I’m using 125-age in bonds to establish my allocation.] Replace with either “age-25 in conservative assets” or “125-age in agressive assets”. Thanks Burningstone!

1 Like

Didn’t you mean 125-age in equities? Otherwise your bond allocation decreases as you get older, which doesn’t make sense in my opinion

2 Likes

Done, thanks for your first input :slight_smile:! Here’s the link to the new thread:

1 Like

Indeed, thanks for pointing it out. I’ve edited that sentence in my previous message.

Continuing to make regular, steady investments regardless of market conditions has proven to be a good strategy from a historical perspective. One problem I’ve noticed with investment solutions being quickly accessible via app, etc. is that it’s easy to get “addicted” to tracking your investments non-stop as if it were a game of sorts. It kind of reminds me of what my mum used to say about our habit of peeking in the fridge non-stop for treats: “Opening the fridge door doesn’t make goodies appear.”

The alternative is to close investment positions and go with savings accounts or medium-term notes. Historically, just holding Swiss francs has often resulted in decent real returns over other currencies, particularly in times of crisis. That’s true even if you keep CHF banknotes under your mattress. If you are somewhat risk-averse, this is not a bad option.

6 Likes

26 posts were split to a new topic: My investment strategy

To provide a good answer you would need to share more of your insights.

Why was it a no-brainer last year but not anymore? And why would it be different to holding index funds or shares elsewhere?

How will you determine that it touches the bottom?

Same as before, max amount paid in annually, invested in max equity. Every few years I will decide whether to repay mortgage with it, taking into account the funds development and interest rates. In that case, I will switch to cash until withdrawal but continue to make my annual payment. But the timeline is years, even decades, not months.

5 Likes

My reply to people asking me how would I judge “when the market touches bottom?”
No one can time the market, but I think it makes sense to switch back to Equity 100 strategy only when US inflation number gets significantly improved and the Fed stops to increase interest rate in the immediate future.

@dbu unless you are an admin OR you can show me the forum rule saying that we have to post under an existing thread/theme even I don’t find anything with my keywords search, I can’t promise you that. I generally search exisitng thread before posting but for my new threads I just didn’t find any existing relevant thread. I am open for discussion on this point.