What's your strategy for 2022?

Merry Christmas, all!

It’s year-end review time!

• The Nasdaq lost 30%
  • Cryptos lost… I stopped counting how much :exploding_head:
  • SP500 lost 20%
  • properties: still high
  • raw materials (and I didn’t even expect the spike in February!): are still elevated
  • inflation, base rates: y’all know

So what I did do this year:

• DCA’d down on my stock and fund picks every once in a while at irregular intervals. They are still about 30% down yoy due to 2 larger bad bets (ARKK, PYPL) that are now pretty expensive and still massively in the red (note to self: stop-loss, dumbo! :face_with_head_bandage:)
  • Split my 3a to 50% “quality” and 50% more diversified (30% equity, 20% RE, 20% cash, 20% bonds, 10% crypto :exploding_head:) - my quality side has lost almost all its wins from 2021 (-22% or so), the other side is 5% down
  • winging my real estate portfolio, but trying not to add anything on a Saron base
  • keeping a morally unjustifiable amount of cash to the side (and I’m itching a lot!)
  • made the missus start DCA’ing VT

Your turn! :slight_smile: How did your strategy for 2022 turn out?

4 Likes

2022 didn’t add anything except 3a with finpension. Cash is waiting.
Stocks/etf added in 2021 are looking pretty bad at the moment.

1 Like

My strategy is roughly same as always. Investing 5000 CHF every month on VT. At the same time invested another 30K when the markets fell significantly. I am still in green overall but yeah things could be a lot better. I sold the few stock picks (<2% of my portfolio) and bought more VT. Luckily my stock picks were the ones that did well in 2022.

My strategy for 2023 is in a flux. I expect a big windfall in the beginning of the year of around 100K. This is guaranteed, but I could be off by a factor of 3 (mostly on the up side). I am debating if I should already start dollar cost averaging the expected windfall into the market from my cash savings.

4 Likes

I also continued with my more or less monthly contribution to VT. Beside that I added some stocks because I like them (Alibaba healthcare, Merck, SQM, Nestle) but always when I bought some shares I bought VT for the same amount of money. At the end of the year I could not invest that much anymore because of repairs of the house and an new PV system.

Have not checked annual performance but for sure it was red to dark red.

Expenses where okish beside that we spent to much on vacation but all of them where great memories for the entire family.

1 Like

Der ETF mit der besten Performance 2022 an der SIX auf türkische Titel kommt auf eine Rendite von über 90 Prozent – in Schweizer Franken gerechnet.
Der Gewinner 2022 ist der HSBC MSCI Turkey UCITS ETF mit einem Kursplus von 91.31 Prozent.
Die positive Entwicklung von türkischen Aktien trotz der schwachen Lira nach der negativen Rendite in den Vorjahren hatten nur wenige Experten auf dem Zettel.
Der vom besten Produkt abgebildete MSCI Turkey gibt die Wertentwicklung von 12 Unternehmen wieder, wobei 85 Prozent des Aktienuniversums der Türkei abgedeckt werden. Die drei grössten Titel weisen eine Gewichtung von über 30 Prozent auf.

Search for “Turkey” in this thread gives me 0 results.

seems like a great story for the last 10 years

1 Like

time for reflection, 2 years later.

What I thought so far:

• activating stop loss orders on all my stock and ETF picks into a “safe” lower margin (which is TBD)

I didn’t do this in the end but kept buying stuff downwards… At the start of 2023, I was 30% lower, which was quite a challenge mentally. Now, 2 years in, my volatility was a bit less, but still, my equity portfolio is:

• 10% lower than VT
  • 14% lower than SPY
  • 24% lower than MSFT, all in the same time period.

After I took a big hit in the 2021 meltdown I’m back to zero, but it looks awful in comparison.
I’m better YTD than the ETF’s, but the zoomed-out picture is still very pale. Well, trying your own ways is costly (about 2 full years of net savings). I need to draw a conclusion here about beating the market on your own.

• trying to look for a “death cross alert” system (does anyone of you have such handy?)

which never came…

• Opening a “safer” strategy with finpension and pulling my other 3a into it (FP allows for weekly reshuffling if needed). I’m thinking a 40/60 stocks/bonds allocation, not sure yet.

I did this in the end with a 30% quality, 30% hedged bonds + 30% RE + 5% cash + 5% crypto allocation. In the end it stayed flat over 2 years, while my other portfolio of 99% quality slumped to below zero in 2022 and then back to +21% by now. I guess I managed the risks according to my own expectations, but it left a lot of money on the table (here as well).

• looking at value instead of tech for the future (I’m not convinced)?

I did buy several stocks in the value market following FastGraphs.
They are yet to bear fruit (vs FAANMG skyrocketing).

• keeping cash on the side for a potential larger correction run (that’s the easy bit)

Still there, for the correction that never comes :person_shrugging:
Some of it I burned on additional RE as well as RE-financing CHF bonds at 6% as a “better than nothing” option.

• opening a crypto wallet finally, just to have one (where?)

I did this, then bought BTC at $42k, then watched as it sank to $17k, and now back where it started. Not the greatest crypto investor I guess. :smiley:

5 Likes