VIAC's 1 post users

and then everybody has to mute a thread that nobody is interested in. and probably many don’t even know about this functionality.

As VIAC itself and this forums gains in popularity, I can only preditct a flood of more 1-post users and an absolute explosion of posts in the referral thread. Best to have this contained at an early stage.

As a compromise, perhaps the thread could be moved to a member-only part of the forum, so it doesn’t act as an invitation for opportunists, but existing members could still profit from referral exchange.

2 Likes

I completely agree. It was annoying me as well.

If your first contribution to this forum is that of personal gain then I don’t think you are a very worthwhile addition.

Some forums even require new users to post an introduction before they post anywhere else. I am not advocating for that but most often these kind of rules have reasons

1 Like

I was trying to find how to only allow users with a certain level of trust level (see link from @ma0 above) to post in a given thread, but i did not manage to find it.
A manual sorting and monitoring of “who can post, who can’t” is out of the question (i have other things to do), so for the moment the thread will be locked.

I agree that the thread can be locked. I had started it in order to keep the main VIAC discussion thread clean, but didn’t expect it to remain so active.
1-post users are not adding anything to the forum, so I agree that there is not much point letting this thread keep growing, especially if it annoys some of the core users.

Aaaand they are posting in other threads

Well if all the posted codes are already used up, it’s probably reasonable to have that old refferal thread completely deleted.

I’ve said already, that some good samaritan could create a public google sheet or something, where anybody could post codes. This link could be then pasted in a wiki or at the bottom of that referral thread.

Maybe a protected topic, updated once per week? People will just PM me and I’ll update it once per week.

But does this solve the issue? This kind of content is not what a forum is for. We would also see the updates of your post each time. I think we should really just store the codes outside of the forum and only keep a link here.

I vote to reopen the tread until a better solution is found, otherwise they’ll just start polluting other treads.

I would leave it like it is.

Or we do the weekly topic thingie. It will solve as long as I check: how many posts the poster has and if they make sense.
I wonder only if you can give me the power for a single topic, otherwise we need a subcategory just for that.
I might update it more than once per week, since I happen to come more often than that. It depends on how much time I have.

Hi guys,

this is just a suggestion.

Why don’t you leave open the referrals thread so that people willing to open a new account can post there asking for one?

Then as soon as one user replies with his code nobody puts any other codes (first one wins).

That is, no user puts there his codes unless there’s a post asking for a referral without replies.

I think it could be a good compromise solution.

Kind regards,

Javier

I find it quite annoying to constantly see this ping-pong: gimme a code, here’s a code.

What if we just use some online paste board like this?

http://collabedit.com/g47wy

Can you try to write some stuff there? We will see if it stays.

It obviously works (I’ve used it in online interviews!)

The problem I see with that is that nothing prevents any malicious user to delete the codes from others and put his.

:sunglasses:

google form definitely solves the issue. items can only be added, and everybody can add.

2 Likes

Yes, here is one of my code: VCJann Edit: The code has been used

Thanks Wapiti. I already had one.

Hi guys,

The lockdown push me to move my bcge 3rd pillars to viac thanks to this forum and the other threads on the subject.
I registered to VIAC and used Neville referral code. I see it as giving back to the community.
Your idea of VIAC referral code will be a nice idea

I guess you realize we’re talking about 2 chf per year? Imo not worth spending much time on it…