Tips on how to choose an ebike?

I use a publibike 5 days per week and I’m kind-of happy about the engine being in the back. Not sure about power and also robustness of this bike. But 900chf is cheap…

I got this one a while back mainly for city use: https://www.haibike.com/ch/en/ebikes/trekking-ebikes/sduro-trekking-10-ch812?id=4540390948

Not sure it was a good choice. I feel that I’m sitting way to high and my feet can’t reach the floor. What do you think? I didn’t want a “city” one.

Mine’s saddle is a but uncomfortable but I can easily fix that. My main issue is I think the reported speed is wrong: when it tells I am biking at 25kmh (and thus stops using the motor) I feel like it’s 15.

did you adjust the wheel diameter? is in the settings. Sometimes it comes with the wrong setup. And of course with worng diameter the system thinks you wheel complete rotation corresponds to more (or less) movement than the reality.

1 Like

No, I assumed it did not need adjustments. But I will try to do it, thanks.

I’m still looking for a cheap ebike and I’ve seen this one:

I am probably buying a bike in the same price range since it’s my first and I am not confortable on spending more than that for now.

What do you think? Is it better to find a bike in germany? where?

You should definitely check out the ebike offers from Landi…

I bought one for my partner for 1000.- and have to say its pretty good + comes with a crazy warranty of 5 years (2 for the battery).

I personally drive a expensive one to work and have to say the price/value of the landi ebike blows my mind.

They had 3 different models early this year, we bought the city version: E-Bikes - LANDI

Right. they had . Not anymore :frowning:

They are back :slight_smile: E-Bike Trelago Speedster 28" kaufen - E-Bikes - LANDI

Too bad this bike has only 50 Nm. My bike has 45 Nm and I find it too low. You don’t have enough boost from the start, and too little support when going uphill. Personally, I would choose 90 Nm over 500 W / 45 km. Acceleration is more important than top speed. I think people riding their bikes at 45 km/h are crazy.

Also, my bike has now 9’000 km on the clock, and I had to replace the chain and both cogwheels twice already. This costs 300+ CHF each time. The whole chain system is expected to live for up to 5’000 km. That’s why when I buy the next e-bike, I will consider going for a belt system (german: Riemenantrieb). It’s quieter, needs no maintenance and lasts for up to 30’000 km.

2 Likes

The citybike has 65Nm

https://www.landi.ch/shop/e-bikes_190202/e-bike-trelago-dinal-ii-28_77039

I personally have a more powerful bike as well and I am one of these maniacs driving 45 km/h almost constantly.

IMO the price and the use case play a big role here. For 2’000.- you will have a great value for money.

1 Like

Where do you usually bike? It’s tough to bike that fast or dirt/gravel path. In the city there’s so much traffic that I think it’s very risky to go that fast. I would only feel safe going that fast on a dedicated bike road out of town.

The fastest I went with my bike was downhill on a road that goes to a military area. I went 60 km/h and then I hit the brakes too hard, started sliding off the road, made a salto, landed on the grass. Lucky to be alive, somehow I didn’t even get a bruise.

1 Like

Does anybody have an E-scooter? I’m thinking about buying one for myself (103kg) and one for my girlfriend (63kg).

VMAX VX2 ST/GT seems like a good choice for me. Not sure about her as she is light enough for most E-scooters.

2 Likes

I commuted by bike all year from the suburbs of Zurich to the city center, so I drive a lot on the street next to the lake (seestrasse).

I drive a eBike more suited for the street that for gravel/dirt, the friction there would slow me down as well :slight_smile:

Happy to hear about your lucky moment, I have to admit that I only bike fast when I know the way pretty well, there is indeed not much protection on a bike…

No but I would make sure you can charge it with USB, so that it can be easily charged in a car and used for the last mile. This might reduce the parking-slot pain.

1 Like

I’d go for a Xiaomi Scooter Pro 2 it’s cheaper than your model and the firmware can be hacked to go much faster than 20km/h xD

Yes but it will be too slow for me (103kg). I read in Digitec reviews that it drops down to 7km/h with a 15% incline and 95kg BW.

I guess this applies to both e-bikes and scooters: the power tells you the top speed, and torque tells you the acceleration. Typically the 25 km/h bikes have 250 W, and 45 km/h ones have 500 W motor. But… surprisingly, if you remove the speed limiter on the 250 W motor, it will allow you to go faster than 25 km/h. I haven’t studied this in detail, but does it mean that when you unlock the 250 W motor to make more rpm, does it technically get more powerful? Or can you potentially damage such a motor?

1 Like

The motor is unlikely to be damaged but the Battery and ESC might have issues sustaining higher amperage w/o damaging.

1 Like