Taxation of structured products

If he can provide a split to the distribution in written

I would recalculate the taxable income as Qty held at distribution * (total distribution per share ./. capital gain included in the distribution).

The tax authorities may challenge the fund provider and ask for additionnal information, calculations etc.

3 Likes

Great, thanks, will try this!

On another note, if this doesn’t work out: Will it help to just sell before dividend date and then buy again afterwards?

Maybe hold a similar fund in between to stay invested?

It won’t. I would not play this game with the tax authorities :slight_smile:
Abuse of rights selling before the ex-date and rebuying after.

1 Like

Yes, makes sense to me :+1:

Update, thanks to your advice I managed to come up with the required split :smile:!

I fear it looks horrible from a CH-tax point of view, almost 100% dividends, am I right?

3 Likes

Depends on what you are looking for and what are the alternatives.

1 Like

Looking for a broadly-diversified trend-following fund as a diversifier to my stock-allocation. Performing well when stocks don’t.

These funds can do great when other assets don’t (“crisis alpha”), so they may generate very high returns in one year (2022: 35%), but maybe close to zero the next 3-4 years.

Now, if my 35% returns consist of 100% dividends, I have to pay insane income tax on them. If, in turn, returns consist of capital gains, I’d have to pay 0% taxes on the 35% returns.

So I’m looking for a trend-following fund with mostly capital gains instead of dividend distributions.

You’re correct [20 charac min]

1 Like

Thanks for your help, it’s great to have some expertise on these matters :+1::blush:

May I bug you one more time?

1. I’ve found another interesting ETF (UPRO, 3x levered S&P 500), but don’t quite understand the ICTax entry.

https://www.ictax.admin.ch/extern/en.html#/security/10301893/20211231

Do I get this right: Share price 2021 is considered CHF 139, and dividend per share only CHF 0.05?

That seems odd, because UPRO price never got higher than USD 76 in 2021. And dividend yield seems extremely tiny.

1. Can I trade futures without being qualified as professional trader? I’ve read this:
    3.4.3 Direkte Bundessteuer sowie kantonale und kommunale Einkommenssteuern
    Gemäss Rechtsprechung des Bundesgerichts sind Gewinne aus Termingeschäften steuerlich gleich zu behandeln wie solche aus Kassageschäften und stellen deshalb Kapitalgewinne dar.4 Soweit Ka- pitalgewinne durch das Gesetz nicht ausdrücklich erfasst werden, bleiben solche aus Termingeschäf- ten (Futures) und Optionsgeschäften sowohl beim Bund (Art. 16 Abs. 3 DBG) als auch in den Kanto- nen und Gemeinden (Art. 7 Abs. 4 Bst. b StHG) für die Belange des Privatvermögens steuerfrei. Ent- sprechende Verluste im Privatvermögen sind dafür auch nicht abzugsfähig.
    https://www.estv.admin.ch/dam/estv/de/dokumente/estv/steuersystem/dossier-steuerinformationen/f/f-finanzinstrumente.pdf.download.pdf/f-finanzinstrumente.pdf#page15

Correct for the NAV at year end. All distributions must be added to get the total → 0.082 per share.

There was a split in January 2022. 2 for 1. It may have a retroactive impact on past NAV you can see on internet.

https://www.proshares.com/press-releases/proshares-announces-etf-share-splits-122021

They just report the distributions as announced by Proshares.

1 Like

https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6786514#p6786514

UPRO holds almost zero stocks, and what they do hold don’t pay dividends. They do hold sone treasures so those coupons count as income.

They mostly hold futures and swaps. Swaps are just a bundle of futures. These do not pay dividends. Hence no distributions.

2 Likes

Yeah, they must use dividends to take their fees and buy futures for the leverage. And they probably have huge cash positions to use as a collateral for futures and as reserves to cover losses on futures positions. So I am actually surprised that there is anything left to distribute.

2 Likes

Thanks to all of you, very much appreciated!

The screener looks much better 2022:

And ICTax agrees somewhat:

Apparently the short-term capital gains got added to taxable distributions. We are still taxed on about 7% per year.

Update: Submitted annual report 2023 today, let’s see if the magic’s happening :grin:

Edit: Magic has happened: Zu versteuernder Ertrag 2022: 0

I’ve provided my tax law argumentation from last year, along with the new annual report, so not too much work this year :grin:

1 Like

But shouldn’t the interest on the T-Bill collateral in excess of costs be taxable?

1 Like

That is what I assumed too at first, but according to Swiss tax law, returns from futures are 100% tax free, so this includes returns from futures collaterals.

1 Like

No, no, they hold actual T-Bills that pay normal interest. They need some real assets as collaterals to buy futures. Or you say those are tax free too?

Yes, but that’s part of futures trading. You cannot hold futures without collateral. So you cannot view them seperately.