Tax deduction - Brokerage fees?

Hello, I have ~300 CHF as Brokerage fees, can I deduct these fees from my taxes (Zurich)?

In Zurich you can deduct 0.3% of managed assets as a flat deduction without any proof.
Depot-management fees are deductible but not transaction-fees for buying/selling stuff.

Up to 6k (for those lucky enough to have 2M in equity :slight_smile: )

This is based on total amount of equity (including individual stocks) or total amount of assets in ETFs?

Should be for all equities afaik.

I’d say its the total amount of assets. Be it bonds, equity, ETFs, I dont think it matters. It just has to be “administrated” by a broker.

2 Likes

Indeed I forgot some people have bonds :slight_smile: just cash doesn’t count.

Is this only for ZH?

I think it’s for most cantons, in NE it’s the same (but we only get 0.2% deduction)

I know its 0.3% for ZH. I dont know about other cantons

Is it possible to apply the 0.3% flat deduction on securities in a 3rd pillard (3a)?

3a isn’t subject to wealth tax…

I’m not talking about the wealth tax, but the management fees deduction.

It’s possible to deduct 0.3% * amount of securities, e.g. for VT in IB, because of brokerage fees (see OP). My question is whether that also applies to a 3rd pillar (where you do pay fees so it’d make sense in that regard).

In Zurich, this deduction is possible up to 6000 CHF (which corresponding to 2 000 000 CHF in securities), so if possible, it’d be nice to apply to the 3rd pillar as well.

The deduction is to offset the cost of managing wealth. Since this isn’t wealth this is obviously not possible.

2 Likes

Under which section in the tax declaration would I need to state the broker costs? In case it is relevant, tax declaration in Basel-Stadt, could not find a section so far where I could place this.
Also, which costs are you guys placing? On IBKR I found “Aggregated costs and charges” which then inclides on-going costs “investment services costs” and “financial instruments cost”. Whereas in the activity report it states “commissions”.

Looks like BS requires justifying the costs (up to 0.3%)

You can try deducting the “Financial instruments costs”, which would be the only one allowed to be claimed.

thanks, would you know under which section I could add these costs though? I checked the leaflet of BS but could not find any section which would mention account costs or something similar in German.

The official name is: “Kosten für die Verwaltung von Wertschriften und Kapitalanlagen des Privatvermögens”

(but if it’s below 100 CHF, I really wouldn’t bother with that tho, not sure it’s worth anyone’s time)

Wouldn’t say so.

Quoting IBKR:
“Financial Instruments Costs are costs incurred that are already included in the financial instrument price and are not settled separately.”, among them “Ongoing costs and charges related to the management of the financial product that are deducted from the value of the financial instrument”

:point_right: These are costs of the investment itself (i.e. incurred by the ETF). Most certainly not deductible - for lack of detailed reporting and differentiation between costs of “running” a fund and third-party costs (see here, for example: “Zudem müsste im Detail abgegrenzt werden können, welcher Teil der in der Total Expense Ratio TER zusammengefassten Kosten auf abzugsfähige und welche auf nicht abzugsfähige entfallen”).

On the other hand:
“Investment Services Costs are fees that are incurred on a one-time, transactional, ongoing or incidental basis to provide and perform investment services.”, among them as on-going “Periodic regular costs and charges for investment services provided to you”

:point_right: This would cover custody / safekeeping fees, which usually are deductible (if IBKR had them).