Swissquote Vs. Interactive Brokers

It is a very non-mustachian thing to use SQ. People here in the forum will commiserate you and say things behind your back.

Anyway, I buy SWDA and EIMI. If you want to overweight Switzerland and indulge in some home bias, and you want an accumulating fund, you might consider the SPI index fund (not an ETF) offered by CS, which can also be bought for 9.- and has a low issuing commission.

2 Likes

Amazing… To me that is just another reason to avoid Swiss brokers (in this case SQ). Why choose a Swiss broker if not for the service - and then you get (seemingly) wrong answers by exactly that service. Great stuff.

(I know we are just talking about an isolated event and people might choose a Swiss broker for other reasons but something like this simply ticks me off.)

Wanna hear something funnier? I remember when I went at UBS several years ago and one of their consultant wanted to photocopy a document I had in my hand. What was that? It was their price list. Apparnetly it was hard to find, even for them.
:smiley:

1 Like

Well, I just instructed one of the major Swiss banks (let’s not make any names) to transfer one of my 3a cash accounts to VIAC. Now that prices are low, good opportunity. I wrote them the precise IBAN number.

And guess what?

They were about to transfer another account!

“Oh we thought you wanted to transfer the other account”.

Read. Don’t think!

1 Like

You should never overestimate the amount of time some lowly clerk will be spending on your documents.
Also, you should never underestimate people’s capability of overlooking and misreading details.

Proactively anticipating things, I always try to make it as clear as and idiot-proof as possible by telling them outright and using formatting liberally.

And today, they’ve sent me all the forms again.

They got the right 3a account now.

But the recipient bank is wrong! :man_facepalming:

Be prepared to wait ~4 weeks until the money actually hits your Viac account. At least that how long it took for my transfer.

Was pleasantly surprised, for me took like a couple of days (was a transfer from credit mutuel iirc).

I think the forum needs some more options than only the “like”. I’d have clicked a “facepalm” one :smiley:

3 Likes

That took me like 2 days, just a bit slower as a normal banking transaction…

I’m still trying to figure out the best set of ETFs on Swissquote (I prefer to buy ones in CHF). I’ll probably go for VWRL, but if anyone can suggest equivalent of VTI, VEA, VWO available on that platform and quoted in CHF, I would be grateful :).

If staying with Vanguard:
VTI → VUSA IE00B3XXRP09 or VNRT (includes CA) IE00BKX55R35
VEA → (no equivalent ex-US fund)
VWO → VFEM IE00B3VVMM84

Currency in which they are quoted does not make any difference whatsoever.
Besides (possibly) cost of acquisition - though for a long-term investor even these won’t matter much.

1 Like

Exactly. This is often a source of confusion.

If you speak German, you can read up on this topic on Gerd Kommer’s blog, in particular the section " Das Konzept der “Berichts­währung”.

VEA is Developed World excluding US
VEVE is Developed World including US

There is no alternative VEA

2 Likes

Good point, thanks for correcting.

Seems I forgot for a moment that the names of the U.S. funds are all American-centric: there‘s only “America“ and/vs. the (rest of) the “World“.

:wink:

„Total Stock Market“ is only the U.S., whereas everything else is „World“

2 Likes

Thanks Guys, now I need to take final decision which ones to buy (easier) and when/how much (harder…).

Hi

I have one question about the currency exchange on interactive broker.

Is it possible change CHF/USD on the Client Portal or Mobile App?
I didn’t found it, could someone explain it or i have to download the TWS?

On the client portal you can simply buy or sell USD.CHF or CHF.USD

On the app there is even a “convert currency” tab.

1 Like

hi guys, I am revisiting this topic instead of opening a new one. In my use case, I plan buying 10kCHF ETF per quarter. As I checked from SQ, cost is roughly 20CHF if I go with Vanguard as I planned so yearly cost for SQ is roughly 20x4= 80CHF for transaction and 15X4= 60CHF for custody so roughly 140CHF which is only 20CHF more than IB. Am i missing something here in this calculation? I always read in forum that IB is way much cheaper than SQ, so I am trying to understand what I am missing here. Thank you!