Struggling with career path currently. Any ideas?

I think nowadays it’s more like eno1 :stuck_out_tongue:

What about LinkedIn, I have recruiters annoying me non-stop. Might still make sense to get in touch, which I only do if it is not obvious copy-paste message (which is rare).

Go to local meetups (now is difficult I know), there’ll always be opportunities if you’re any good and open-minded.

1 Like

get the F off my lawn :smiley:

1 Like

1 Like

You could reach out to one of the large consulting companies and ask if they can refer you to projects for a “small fee”. That’s how a former teammate made it. Quit his job and started as consultant making 250k by being proxied thru Noser Engineering. You usually want to have some specialized skills like Software Dev, Test Engineer, Business Analyst.

I worked in Germany a consultant after finishing university. That was pure hell for me. I was away from family and friends 24/5, staying in hotels after work. It could be different in Switzerland if I’d manage to go home after work is done.

What are typical contracts example for freelance in software? Eg do you bill deliverable or hours? What about IP? Etc etc would be glad to hear some experiences

@Alvo and others would know…

Usually you bill the hours you worked. To get payed for deliverables would end in tears on both sides anyway if you don’t know each other very well.

Contracts are usually pretty strict even if the payroll company couldn’t enforce it. What you mean by IP? Your private work you do in your freetime?
I wouldn’t worry about that.

IP= Intellectual Property. Like if I develop some glue code particularly for this customer, connecting two systems etc, I guess you want some language in the contract that specify that you own the IP on the code in order to reuse it in the future for other companies doing similar stuff?

In my company I know the consultant put this kind of langauge in the contract to make sure we can reuse stuff between projects. I was just wondering once you are freelance how compex get the contract to be signed, etc.

Yeah I thought that you mean intellectual property, but my guess was you mean for your personal work in your freetime unrelated to your clients project. I’ve seen contracts that state you even lose rights on that code.
Of course you don’t have any rights on code you write for your clients by default.
You can negotiate anything but it’s not common.

But then it’s also unlikely that two of your customers meet and compare code, right?

and what about concepts that you figure out? If you can‘t take „knowledge“ from one project to another you always start from scratch and will always stay junior :joy:

The question was about contracts and not about the chances of getting caught.
Of course you don’t have to forget everything you learned on a project…
Do you really plan to steal sourcecode from your customers or employers just because you might get away with it? :confused:
The world is small and this is not just unprofessional, but also illegal.

2 Likes

It’s not like it’s art in that each piece is unique.
Patterns (and logical models) can be rewritten 10 times, and I don’t see a way that one can claim it’s a copy.
You would not literally clone a repo for another client, for sure.
But reusing already built ideas is the key learning from CS, or not?

1 Like

I had a employer who had a specific license and a consulting company we did regular business with offered to write a interface for their product for free so they could sell it to other customers. Win win situation.
But it’s not a standard freelancer contract.
I would always respect the property of customers. Usually you can rewrite the code in a fraction of the time without legal issues.

1 Like

Holy ****, these levels are insane. It’s higher than I thought. I do not like Zurich, but these are much higher than in Fribourg.

Yes, we’re kinda blessed to have almost Bay Area salary levels while being in such a nice place :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would recommend you to try out and then you can decide if you like in management or not. It is like in IT…you can read about how it is a lot, but when you have to repare a system at 2am in the night with lots of angry customers or users…another experience entirely :). Same with management, there will be good and bad points, but what I can see quite more interesting is that you can have a much higher impact on things and build much more complex things as a manager with one or many teams. You can scale the problem solving skill to a totally different level.

Is management not a dying breed in IT?

Everyone talking about SAFe and managers becoming scrum masters (had this a couple of times) is a nightmare. I‘ve not yet worked in a mature SAFe environment.