Spending your retirement abroad

Go here and sort by climate. You can also see individual scores of cities in detail.

Cities with the greatest climate:

• Lisbon, Porto, Barcelona, Athens
  • Auckland, Wellington, Sydney, Brisbane
  • San Francisco, Los Angeles
  • Cape Town, Nairobi
  • Buenos Aires, Sao Paulo, Montevideo
  • Caracas, Medellin, Bogota
1 Like

What about Mauritius? Sun, beaches and 25°C all year round, official languages are English and French, with growing infrastructures, and no tax on capital gains

6 Likes

OK, have you been there? I have been to Seychelles, which are a step up from Mauritius, and I would not like to live there. There is nothing going on, everything looks shabby, the temperature is too high, you are getting bitten by some mosquitos. Sure, the forests and beaches look beautiful, but the whole infrastructure is lacking. The political systems of such small island countries also tends to be unstable, I guess, and rotted with corruption.

Not yet. I know that a lot of french entrepreneurs usually expatriate themselves in Mauritius, so I initially thought that there must be some good in it. If anybody has feedback on this country I am very curious :slight_smile:

1 Like

I guess the best would actually be the Madeira islands, temperatures are always in the 17-27 all year round, and it’s only a two hour flight from Lisbon.

2 Likes

I don’t know specifically about Madeira, but in general I have found “things” (the usual expenses like food, housing, etc) more expensive on islands than on an equivalent mainland place.

I’m glad to see another Portuguese here @Mobius :smile:

I’m from a small city in the north of Portugal, but lived in Braga (university) and Porto (work).

I plan to retire in Portugal and I think the only city I wouldn’t consider is Lisbon (to expensive and I really don’t like the city).

As a guy from the north, I would say my preferences are:

• my hometown (because of family and friends);
  • GuimarĂŁes (really cool city, near my hometown);
  • Porto.
2 Likes

Same here @ajPT :slight_smile:

I’m also from the north, just south of Porto (although born in Lisbon). If retiring in Portugal, I would probably choose either Madeira or Alentejo. I don’t think I’d enjoy living in a big city again.

4 Likes

If you’ve wondered where the millionaires are fleeing to (Australia, USA, Canada, UAE, New Zealand, data between 2015 and 2016).

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/millionaire-migrants-countries-rich-people-flocking/

What would it actually look like for a mustachian to retire in USA? Is it possible? Does it make sense from tax perspective? Which states would it be the most reasonable to do? Does anybody have a clue?

1 Like

Have we already talked about the “health lottery” ? It might be safer to stay away from some countries like the US for health reasons. If you are swiss, you might play the “Home insurance” trick I’ve read here or elsewhere. I’m not sure it works though. Say you go to the US and you get a traveler insurance. If you need to make a very expensive surgery, the insurance might say they won’t pay but they send you back to your home country instead. Here in Switzerland then any insurance company must accept you even if you are ill. That’s how I understood it with a globetrotter/traveler insurance. I am not sure if you become an US resident (if even possible today!) and an insurance fail to pay.

Also “fail to pay” not “refuses to pay”. So you might go to the Hospital, they cure you and then they bankrupt you.

Wouldn’t Germany or Austria be the almost obvious choice? Living cost are quite a bit lower, but the living standard is pretty much the same. The language is German, so not to strange as a swiss person. :wink: And it’s in the EU so moving (and maybe working part-time) there is not a bureaucratic hassle, with free movement.
Am I missing something? Maybe taxation issues?

I know German income tax and vat is quite brutal.

Haaaaaaahaaahaaaahaaa good one

I have friends from Germany, and they don’t seem to be missing anything compared to me
 What do you mean specifically?

Perhaps this :wink:

6 Likes

this could be equally true for the swiss so not much difference there :wink:

2 Likes

This is really some bullshit stereotype. Here is some hard data:

Germany is dead last, with an average working person doing 1363 hours. Who is on the other end? Greece (2035), Poland (1928). Switzerland? 1590 hours. And this corresponds to the many people I know who work like 80%, 60% sometimes even 20%, and in Poland such cases are not so common.

To be fair there is a select few people who are doing these hours. When I was working in Germany I regularly did 50+ hours weekly without compensation. I consider work environment in Germany quite poorly. Its mostly good marketing for the government.

Given my expirience I consider Germany a very poor choice as a (young) working person. I wouldn’t say it is bad for earlier retirees however, since you will not be much affected by most of the ridiculous taxes and regulations - except for VAT of course.

1 Like

Talk about sense of humor. You’ve, as of now, been nominated for German citizenship.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for this thorough analysis, Julianek! Very interesting!

I was born in France and would love to be able to retire there with my British husband, but the only thing I could live on is my capital as I have never payed towards a pension there, having always lived/worked abroad since my student days.

Has the situation much improved under Macron? I understand the Wealth Tax is now only applied to Property wealth above 800 000 EUR and there is no more “Taxe d’Habitation”