So, I'm ready. Need a bit of guidance for the final steps

This was another good “kick” in right direction. I have transferred 10k to my IB account to continue getting the ball rolling and get a grasp of "how to use IB. Waiting for the money to arrive on my account.

Thank you all for your various inputs. I would say I am leaning towards having most of the money in the market asap.

1 Like

By bear market in 2020, do you mean the the 1-2 month dip in march/april 2020?
Do you personally believe that we have already seen the correction and that the market will keep running its bull trend for many years to come now? Or do you think there is a major correction looming in the near 2021 future?

Bear and bull markets are just human constructs. There are no physical laws here, so everything is possible. Who knows? Maybe we’ll get 1980-2000 returns for the next 20 years?

Certainly an important factor is how regular the distribution of money to the population turns in the US (stimmy checks etc.). With the former Fed chair nominated as Secretary of the Treasury, this could facilitate establishing this process in the long run.

1 Like

So it sounds to me that you find these times very confusing and hard to read as well.

Actually it is quite simple: the Fed will rescue the markets at each and every dip. The only unknown is the exact level of the floor, and on which index.

But then he would’ve kept earning and investing those dollars as well - and he would’ve DCA’d the baby jesus out of the market in the next 10 years, coming away with a decent profit altogether.

• You can’t be sure if the next -50% crash comes next week or in 3 yrs or never.
  • Jumping in and out of the market is proven to be contraproductive for most “normal people”.
  • If you get a crash, just keep investing more to profit from the upside afterwards. The markets are, statistically speaking, more around their ATH point than their lower phases.
    Just stay the course and keep investing.

I’m also in a similar situation so I lump summed 60% capital already into it, and am intentionally keeping 40% cash for opportunistic buys along the way (knowing that this is not what the topic suggests, but this is my personal risk appetite right now).

Don’t tell that to a Japanese. But, sure, it’s Japan, a special case.

That’d be a good example if anyone were talking about Japan :stuck_out_tongue:

Isn’t that always the case?

I’m not sure if it’s population and the stimulus checks are of great importance.
I am thinking much more relevant could be accessibility of funds for investors.

Though there is some overlap, investors aren’t necessarily part of the population - and vice versa.

Maybe, maybe not.
Maybe, if he had the income.
I was speaking (only) of the available lump sum at hand.

Personally, I have an investable lump sum that is much higher than what I can earn in a year. I am too lazy to work out the exact figures now, but it’s at least five times my yearly savings potential. (E.g., given that I could save 1000 each month by living frugally, that would make for a savings potential of 12k/year - five times that is an investable sum of 60k).

So to me the question is somewhat relevant, and I’m wary of going all-in.
Especially since I plan to reduce my earnings and savings in the foreseeable future.

2 Likes

you’re not alone :slight_smile: I’m also in the same boat.
I just wanted to pinpoint you that even if you fck up the lump-sum you can emerge “okay”. Not great, not filthy rich, but okay it will be.

If you were sitting on that pile of money in 2015 and didn’t invest on similar fears (market ATH, long upwards trend), you’d be missing 50% profit by now.

Alas, if it’s a considerable amount of money, rational thinking is screwed and we just obey to fear or greed. :smiley:

1 Like

I have …kind of. But then, I was focused on other things in life up to 2015.
However, I am increasingly getting a feeling that this time might be different™.

Sure, 2015 didn’t go that well fiscally in Europe.
Otherwise the markets might just have felt a bit „expensive“ back then.
Well, that‘s actually what I felt about them back then.

Nowadays though… When looking at Tesla (just having become the 6th largest listed company by market cap in the world), Bitcoin, Gamestop - among many other things - today, I can’t help feeling a similar irrational exuberance creeping in as was 20 years ago.

On the one hand, central banks will surely do lots to „save the economy“ (and stock markets)nd provide nearly unlimited capital for the markets.
On the other hand, p/e multiples are historically high again - and I really don‘t believe they‘ll come down and become „justified“. Rising earnings can’t keep up with that ti justify valuations over the long terms.

2 Likes

Sure, the regular QE (purchases of Treasuries, MBS, …) is the backbone of the financial markets
but I’ve the impression that the stimmys propagate especially quickly to the stock market, like a sugar rush.

1 Like

That’s what I am worried about. But then again, I have been feeling that for years and I have been wrong for years.

Staying fully invested and dream walk into a massive crash that I feel I have seen coming would be stupid. But this time might not be different or this time might only become different in 10 years and not investing enough and thereby missing FI would be stupid, too.

It is different every time. (Whatever that “it” is…)
Macro and micro circumstances change.
You cannot know [guess] the future, and the sooner you accept the fact, the better.
Now act according to the fact.

2 Likes

Of course I can.

I just might fail to guess it correctly some of the time.

2 Likes

Right, “know” was the better word. :slight_smile:
We can all guess and a few might be “right”.

Hi All,

Is there a reason my VT order wasn’t fulfilled yet ?

Did I do something wrong ?

Thanks for your help !

If the time indicated in your prtscr is CET, then the US market has been closed between then and now. Your order will be filled in roughly 1h I guess.

2 Likes