Should I buy TSLA shares?

That would put your Tesla stocks at 3.5M today right?

That depends how you count. If I bought the same number of shares shortly after creating this thread, that would be 1’000 @ $200. I would still have the same value of TSLA, just at lower cost basis (200k vs 600k). If I went all in back then, then yes, I would be able to buy 3’000 @ $200. That would be the extreme scenario. I’m not even sure I had 600k available back in May 2020.

4 Likes

Congrats! What about recalibrating for Fat Fire?

What is the explanation for the sudden raise in share price of TSLA?

@Bojack I would take some profit if I were you… But again I would never have this done this “investment” if I were you so…

1 Like

Well done Bojak following your conviction in spite of the doubters :+1: :+1: :+1:

3 Likes

An sales agreement, not already signed and concluded, with Hertz for the purchase of 100’000 Tesla.

Elon Musk says Tesla has not signed contract with Hertz yet (cnbc.com)

First of all, huge congrats on this investment :). However, I’m quite interested how you handled emotions putting (I assume) quite a big portion of your NW into one single stock. It went really good, but could of course go in the other direction. Did you have any exit plan?

I’m not sure why it shows reply to Cortana - I was replying to Bojack’s post.

1 Like

I think it’s good to keep expectations low. It would be nice to own a house, and especially a piece of land. But even if I liquidated all my stock, I wouldn’t have enough money for that. And mortgage is not a step to financial independence, rather to dependence. I’d need to maintain a high income for years to come. I could look to move far from ZH, maybe even abroad, but this would make things difficult for my girlfriend.

As you can see, it took me a long time to go through with it. I think I have to thank YouTube’s algorithm, which has been suggesting TSLA content to me. With time, I got really into it. Then I “leased” a Tesla from a friend, and I was very impressed by the car. Then I created this thread. But my enthusiasm was initially chilled by our Tesla bears in the forum. Then finally I bought 200 pc during the Trump-Biden election. And I felt really good about it. Watching my regular YT videos became more engaging. I had skin in the game, but not too much to be nervous about it.

The second purchase made me really nervous. I hard trouble falling asleep one day. I got upset by every silly tweet by Elon :sweat_smile:. But what convinced me to buy were 3 factors:

1. I got even more convinced that Tesla will succeed (thanks to the news over the months)
  2. One YouTuber was very open about his portfolio, he has like 6000 shares and is all in on a single stock. This gave me some courage.
  3. I thought it will take way too long to FIRE with VT. I was a bit burnt out by the covid-induced home office loneliness. So you could say I took an educated gamble.
6 Likes

Will you keep your Tesla stocks or rebalance?

I couldn’t sleep with the possibility to lose 1 million in a couple of weeks/months.

1 Like

You had balls, kudos for that ! I own 2 Teslas (the car) but didn’t invest in the stock ! :slight_smile:
I also guess that personal situation - beside risk aversion - plays a role. Me I’m in my middle forties with 2 kids and targeting FIRE within the next 5-6 years so I didn’t (don’t) want to take huge risks and maybe have to step back by some years on the FIRE path, it might be different if I were younger and single (or couple with separate finances) ? Who knows…

7 Likes

There are two sides to risk, one is the risk of loosing what we have (the “ability to take risk”), the other the risk of not gaining enough to reach our goals in a timely fashion (the “need for risk”). This was a great example of the risk/reward relationship, which paid off (kudos to @Bojack!).

It’s just important to remember that, indeed, sometimes, the need for risk is the most important factor and such calls are the right ones though, just as much, that it is, indeed, risk taking and that the risk could materialize at any time. If the consequences of that are too dire to be contemplated, then these kinds of calls should be avoided.

To each their own, I do love Bojack’s story but wouldn’t recommend it to just anyone.

That’s the barrier of entry, we like to be bearish in our comments more than recklessly supporting because that favors only the people who are really convinced of what they’re doing to go forward and actually do it. Successful people having to constantly deal with people telling them what they’re doing is impossible and all that. You’ve done it and it paid out, congrats!

4 Likes

Ideally, I’m not touching the stock for the next 10+ years. In my mind, I don’t have X dollars, I have one-millionth of TSLA. But I will still keep working in the near future and hopefully bringing balance to my portfolio with savings invested in VWRL or V3AA or whatever. Once TSLA starts paying dividends (yes, I know success is not a given, don’t want to sound like a fool), I will use that money for consumption and invest the rest in an all-world etf.

My gamble is not over, that’s why I was very hesitant to share, because I think the forum has been making me anxious in the past (who knows, maybe rightfully so…).

8 Likes

Almost 600k into TSLA you have real trust in that company, how is your Model 3 doing btw?

2 Likes

While I’ve undoubtedly been one (and maybe one of the more vocal) of them…

Exactly.

The best investment decisions and/or bets I’ve made - besides a few that were sheer luck - have been the ones where I had my own opinion challenged by someone else (be it in person or through a video or article) - and then nevertheless followed through on it.

That would be my best advice to someone wanting to go into single investments (or bets):
Trust your gut feeling - but have your opinion seriously challenged and give it thought.

So, congrats to Bojack!

Yep. Good for almost 60% plus in a month. On a stock that was already “expensive” before. Goes to show that the markets may not be that rational or efficient.

Personally, I’d seriously consider cashing in on these gains now.

Car manufacturing has long been a seriously cutthroat and competitive business with relatively low margins. Tesla will not keep its competitive advantage in the marketplace to sustain margins that justify such valuations. Competitors will undercut them and gain shares of the EV market sooner or later (rather sooner). If not the legacy car manufacturers, it could be the Chinese.

Also, when your world’s most expensive car company’s (whose stock is at 1200+ USD, while earning a meagre 3 USD per share) is run by a twittering lunatic, the tail risk is just too high, IMO.

9 Likes

Me probably too as the amounts mentioned are huge (at least for my situation), but I don’t want to suggest anything, but give you my story from this year as regards to crypto.

So, on paper it looks easy - you put 600k, now you can take it back and still have 600k invested. Knowing that at the end it is all you have already gained will change your perspective, reduce emotions etc. Or at least this is what I thought when I invested in crypto this year. So I put ~60k, then I was selling from time to time and I ended up in the situation that I still had around 60k invested, but I cashed out everything I put. I was really (finally) relaxed then.

But after some time (I guess 2-3 months) and crypto going down starting in May, this amount was probably cut by half and at this point I started to think - ok, this is something I would not have if I hadn’t invested before, but now I have it and I’m losing it… So I again started to feel anxious. Long story short, I haven’t sold when it was the cheapest, I was back happy when it started to grow, but then I panicked and sold everything when it again started to go down. Of course it happened to be around last dip before it went to the levels we have now… In the meantime I bought and sold it again a few times, losing some money and currently I’m invested again, with the current gains more or less covering recent losses from buying/selling…but of course I have much less if I would have just doing nothing :D.

So, my message is that perspective changes with time and even cashing out half after 100% gains, won’t change much in the longer term as regards the psychology. At least in my case :).

Sounds like a plan, I wish you luck! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I guess it was a mistake to share. And for what, just to brag, to get a short dopamine hit :man_shrugging: . Now all the “you should sell” and “I told you so” tips will keep coming. I think we’re all clueless about the future. It pays to keep a cool head. VT is also at all time high, why don’t you sell that?

7 Likes

Sorry if I was not clear. I just wanted to share my story with one possible option of cashing out what you put and keeping the rest - only to show that even it may seem reasonable at first sight (at least to calm the emotions), the “relieve” effect on emotions is very short-term.

I didn’t want to tell you what you should do. Everyone’s situation is different. For example in my case, I will need the money invested as soon as beginning of next year, for our house renovation project. So keeping less than 10% invested in crypto is already my maximum limit and I know there will be a lot of people telling me that even this is totally crazy.

Plus - it’s quite a difference between investing in crypto and in the stocks - with stocks there is at least some “real” value behind ;).

I think it’s good that you have a plan, personally for me it seems reasonable and I wish you best of luck with it. Fingers crossed!

No worries, I’m not referring to any particular thing you wrote. I just had a short doze of excitement sharing my returns, followed by remorse. I don’t want to induce any kind of envy or set myself up for potential Schadenfreude. I guess it’s better for your nerves to stay quiet, and not brag to your family, friends, colleagues, and forum buddies.

4 Likes

I obviously don’t know the reasons why you shared in the first place but I didn’t take it as bragging. I like people sharing their experiences because I think datapoints help us to figure out what scenarii we might face, and it might put in light some of our blind spots.

In this instance, considering that one may have reasons to be willing to risk more in order to potentially gain the option to change one’s life circumstances earlier is, to me, an important part of making a correct risk assessment (it’s important to assess all the risks we can foresee to take an educated decision). Regardless of the outcome (which could have gone the other way), I’m glad I got to get a blink of your experience on this.

Definitely induced some kind of envy and regret on my part because I am following a bit what is happening with Tesla and your posts, but I never got so convinced about the value proposition. I would need to drive one day to see for myself… Then I remembered my policy is to not invest in individual stocks no more so it is was just misplaced emotions…

All in all we should all be happy for you nice gains. If you still believe in the company then why sell indeed? The fundamentals haven’t changed much so…