Should I buy TSLA shares?

You could argue that individual stocks are always for traders, at least in our net worth regions.

You could … though as you say it depends on the net worth. :slight_smile:

And I would add, on your investing plans.

I totally agree with you, but please don’t underestimate the need of building a community around your brand and provide services to your demanding customers nowadays. I recommend you to watch the last 5’ of this video, it talks about the NIO services, like NIO houses, NIO Valet service and more…

When people build a story to explain why a specific stock will go up or down, it always reminds me of a class of Robert Shiller: Behavioral Finance and the Role of Psychology.
Around 40 min, Robert Shiller asks his students to give him 90% confidence intervals for some hard-to-estimate quantities.
In a class of a hundred students, you would hope that 90 of the answers would contain the actual quantity. Actually the opposite is the case: only 10-20 of the 90% confidence interval contains the actual quantity.
As humans, we seriously suffer from over-confidence when we use gut feeling to make predictions, so I find it a bit hopeless to try to predict future returns of a specific stock using “90% confidence intervals” that we guesstimate :wink:

4 Likes

So I finally managed to get my hands on a Model 3. I had to pass the driver license first :slight_smile: . I was blown away by it. The futuristic interior, the crazy acceleration, the autopilot, the big screen with internet access. I felt like a kid again. I strongly recommend to anyone who hasn’t tried it yet. After that, a traditional gas car feels like a horse-drawn carriage.

8 Likes

Same here. I had a test drive in a Model S (performance version) in Germany last year and was blown away by it. After that, it almost felt antiquated getting into a traditional ICE car.

Btw, can you please give more details about any dealer discounts/rebates during the sale process and also potential tax rebates? Would be interesting to know the true TCO value. Thanks.

I borrowed it from a friend. I’m really a novice, barely passed my driving test. I plan to drive a lot now so that what I learned doesn’t get forgotten. I did my learning in an ICE car, and then I rented an ICE car for a day, then got the Tesla. Already when I sat inside, I was like: what the hell, did I travel in time? The white interior really gives you a futuristic feeling. And then you press the gas pedal, and the car makes a silent WHOOSH and it just feels so responsive to drive.

So many things in this car just feel right, like the electric handbrake which is pulled when you press the brake pedal a bit stronger. No need for extra button or lever, simple and logical, but I haven’t seen it before.

1 Like

Now you know that you should buy a TSLA car, but should you buy TSLA shares? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know what you mean. I walked into the Tesla store in Basel more by chance than anything and was really surprised by how good the cars look and feel, also on the inside. Never drove a Tesla but tried other electric vehicles and yes, it’s a really nice feeling.

Problem for me is everyday practicality.

And stocks are crazy overpriced in my opinion.

Could also rent a car (and buy HTZ :wink: )

Indeed. Just got one (2nd hand MS) for my S.O. about ten days ago…

So my contribution to Elon’s cause is done and from now on I can happily stick to my ETFs… :wink:

1 Like

Where do you charge it?

I can’t charge at home, at work and my local supermarkets have no charging stations either.

No discount (from Tesla at least), what you see is what you pay.
Pssible tax benefits depend on the canton, you have to check with the one you live in

Just installed a wall connector at home. With 3 phases/16A it charges 11 kWh -> enough to fill it completely during the night. Really cheap as well (total cost per kW after 22:00 is < 10 rappen)

Of course if you cannot charge at home (and at work neither) it gets quite challenging… apart Tesla superchargers there are other 3rd party charging stations (have a look here) but imo this would be quite complicated and expensive as well (> 50 cts/kwh usually)

3 Likes

If I may ask, how much to install the wall connector in CH ?

I think the model 3 is a great car, but 45k for the 400km range is still too much… and I will have range anxiety :slight_smile:

Of course you may but - as it was last week - I didn’t get the bill yet ! :slight_smile:

According to my S.O. it took approx 3 hrs but including the derivation from the electrical rack - which is in the basement - the switch installation and the cable installation / fixing up to my parking space (of course this may greatly vary depending on the electrical config of your living place)

1 Like

I would be interested about your feelings after driving “nice” ICE car, let’s say some AMG model (yes I know, not very Mustchian :D). For me, the most fun comes from the sound…and I love to be kicked in the back with brutal gear changes. I have never driven electric car yet, but I think that pure acceleration without a sound would just make me sick ;).

PS. I’m not interested in any flame wars between ICE and electric.

1 Like

I drive a 3.0 V6. Yes, absolutely un-mustachian, but cars is where my interests lie and where I allow myself some irrational spending.

I admit that I am constantly alternating between enjoying the car: the deep sound of the engine, the soft shifts of the automatic gearbox – and having the feeling of sitting in an anachronistic piece of technology.

1 Like

When you’re doing 100 on the Autobahn then it’s by no means quiet. You hear the air resistance, the wheels rolling, the electric engine humming. Then you see a window to overtake, you press gas, and the frequency/loudness of the noise goes up. I’m a newbie, so overtaking on autobahn with so much power is such an adrenaline kick that I don’t feel like I’m missing the engine roar. But yes, I know people enjoy it.

The real quiet acceleration happens when you get off the standstill after red light, or when you leave the roundabout. This normally happens in an urban setting and I guess it’s better for the people who live there that they don’t hear engines.

Btw, I don’t like the navigation, it really murders German street and town names when system is set to english. Google Maps does it better, by not saying these names at all.

1 Like

Loud engines are clearly bad from a societal standpoint.

I find it quite absurd, that intentionally loud motors aren’t banned. Not sure where this govt. failure stems from, maybe Harley Davidson riders have some good lobby?

2 Likes

Loud engines aren’t always loud. It depends on how they are driven, in my case I have also a button to switch exhaust to the louder mode if I want. The engine/exhaust is not the problem, it’s the driver. I don’t wake up my neighbours or scare any other people while passing by. For the people living near the highway - I guess they already knew what to expect and got some discount on buy/rent price because of that.

I drive safe, even though I’m Polish and believe me - it’s not usual bullshit “I drive safe the others are bad” ;). Coming from Poland, I really appreciate the situation on the roads here, even though you have to be very careful with powerful cars, as speed increases rapidly. After almost 10 years in Switzerland I was fined just once - measured 59 on 50 - of course it was my fault, but I was misled by the limit shown by the car - maps were not yet updated after they removed the higher limit. Google street view was still showing sign with 60 there :D.

BTW - I guess that motorcycles are much louder than the cars… Plus - from societal standpoint there are worse things than just loud engines…

1 Like