Share your salary progression

Oh look, another portuguese :smiley:

What drove the jump from 99k to 125k?

1 Like

Moving companies and back to the corporate world, staying in the Geneva/Lausanne area :slight_smile:

2 Likes

you worked for 120k as a Manager at a Big4? :roll_eyes:
wow they ripped you off.

Thanks! It doesn’t include bonus but it includes vested stocks.

1 Like

promotion was towards end of calendar year, so 2019 was first full year as manager. but yes 120k base + 6k expenses + bonus. As far as I know, this was rather normal among the managers at firm I worked for, maybe other Big4 pay better. The year after they only granted 115k base to new promoted managers.

industry pays significantly better for ex consultants.

I guess you need to negotiate hard as the Big4 is exceptionally good at it on their end. :wink:
Anyhow it’s past tense for you.

1 Like

My experience was, that if you are promoted within the firm, they’ll inform you of your new salary. No negotiations took place in our team. I know of exceptions where people beforehand asked for a specific number or threatened to leave otherwise, but this was usually not a successfull strategy, unless they really need you :wink:

I now of plenty cases of people who switched inbetween Big4 firms to get to the next grade or up their compensation. It’s significantly easier to negotiate on your terms with HR if you are an external hire, rather than an internal promotion. I think that’s probably true for a lot of big corporate employers.

9 Likes

I agree to the above: not common to negotiate internally.

But if the market price for your job description has gone up and your salary has not been adjusted accordingly in the meantime, it doesn’t hurt to let them know and ask for a raise. Worked for me.

3 Likes

Yesterday I got my yearly evaluation. They were really happy with my work and one big project I’m on is going well.
So got the balls to ask, not for a raise, but for a decrease of work.
I’ve asked them to move at 90% while still working at 100% so I would get around 20 more days of holidays.

I know this is not the regular path to FIRE, even more when I’m only 29, but for me, I’ve got already enough money and what I need now is more time to do what I like.
They didn’t say yes, but they didn’t say no. That’s already a big win for me. They said that they thanks me to let them know that I’m not particularly interested in more money but in more free time.

Details haven’t been defined yet, my hope is that I can keep same salary and it would represent a 10% increase, but not holding my breath.
Finger crossed.

17 Likes

If I remember correctly @kane is talking about big4 in banking consulting in Switzerland not IT/Tech big4, right?

It’s actually Deloitte, Ernst & Young, KPMG and PwC.

5 Likes

Typical way to get a good job while working for a big4, be hired by your client.

4 Likes

To give you an update on 2021 - my total compensation was 223k, which is basically an increase of 45k - reason was an internal promotion.

Cheers

12 Likes

what line of work are you in?

Financial Services IT Consulting it is.

1 Like

How easy is to switch to it from a PM/SE position?

Switching from a regular job to a consulting one? As easy as applying for a job?

The Field. I want to know how’s entering in that field.

Depends on the consulting firm. Top tier strategy consulting firms (“MBB” - McKinsey, BCG, Bain) are incredibly difficult to get into. Tier 2 firms (Accenture, Oliver Wyman, …) or Big 4 (Deloite, PwC, EY, KPMG) are a bit easier, but are also very selective. Then there are the smaller boutiques, where it really depends.

As you are asking about IT consulting, I believe it’s easier to get into compared to general managment/stategy consulting, especially since there is a shortage of experts in the field. Getting the foot in the door as a senior consultant, maybe manager is doable, if you really have the skills they are looking for (e.g. because they already sold a project where these skills are needed and they have nobody who can deliver - happens all the time).

The higher comps of >150k/yr are generally for more senior grades (Senior Manager, Director) where prior consulting experience is required. These roles are often more and more sales / business development oriented. In some cases you are still doing project delivery work with clients as an expert for a specific topic, but more often you are responsible for a team of consultants doing the actual delivery. Speaking from experience in a Big 4 IT consulting team - so generallizing a bit. Smaller consulting firms might operate diffently.

Sorry for the long answer - it’s an interesting field of work :wink:

8 Likes

Hi,

This thread is a big source of info to compare myself with other IT peep. It helps to find motivation to ask a pay rise or switch job.
I would like to share mine (.Net/SQL fullstack senior developer (15 years xp) with React/Angular JS framework) in Financial sector:

• 2006 : 34k (first job in France)
  • 2011 : 84k (first swiss job)
  • 2012 : 90k (scheduled raise)
  • 2014 : 105k (changing job to Geneva)
  • 2016 : 110k (claiming for payrise)
  • 2017 : 120k (changing job)
  • 2019 : 120k (2k performance bonus)
  • 2021 : 120k (5k performance bonus)
6 Likes