Share your salary progression

I don’t care about my pension fund. The only thing I care about is the possibility to reduce my contribution to a minimum (2.5% where I am right now). In 2020 I switched employers twice and invested my 2nd pillar (17.9k) with ValuePension. Right now it’s at 22.1k (+4.2k / +23%), in 9 months. My pension fund would take 10+ years to get me this yield. So I’m better of investing as much as possible in the stock market.

3 Likes

All depends what your company negiotated with Swiss Life…
especially larger companies have a higher leverage and might have some better personnel negotiating than a small one.

It’s not a family if they’re screwing you on your comp… a healthy and respectful family doesnt do that to its members.

2 Likes

I think you have to check the policy thoroughly. There are many variables which can lead to big differences in the end amount.

I’m talking from the employer perspective here, and I compared several BVG providers in the past. The differences can be quite substantial. Things you need to check for is the projected annual interest. If one provider is calculating with 1% per year, while another one uses 2.5%, of course the end amount is hugely different.

From what I can say: SwissLife is offering the worst package in terms of the final amount.

Still, I’m puzzled about a 300k difference. I can only imagine huge differences in projected interest rates between the providers and maybe your employer also contributing far less than your old employer.

You can PN me if you want, and we can check together.

3 Likes

It it good to verify the certificates, but then you only compare your current situation. The difference might be that the increase of contributions (normally at 35/45/55 y.o.) will be much lower for you with your new job. In order to know that you would have to compare the pension fund regulations.

1 Like

Similar to the post I published about the NW progession, I put all your numbers in a chart :wink:

Here you go:

Unfortunately, it’s a bit messy and unreadable. But hopefully you can extract value out of it.

7 Likes

iiuc @Giff is the winner in the total compensation comparison.

1 Like

I think there’s a decent number of people in here who would beat me if they published their numbers.

7 Likes

For @kilyn all of you are basically a poverty outcome… you oughta step up and earn some ReAl moneyz!

But seriously, @Your_Full_Name and @finalcountdown are contenders for people who would mess up this chart with their (past) salaries.
( Case study: 36 month sprint to FI (5M CHF goal post) - Share your story - Mustachian Post Community)

This. Very important when negotiating a new job.

I have switched jobs a few months back and with a higher salary they contribute much less to the 2nd pillar. I tried to explain this to HR as part of the negotiation in order to get more salary bad they didn’t even seem to understand what I was saying. The percentage is lower and the “coordination deduction” is higher.

However, surprisingly enough, the projected amounts are higher at the new employer if I compare the figures for the scenario with 0 interest rate and 0 salary increase so I am very puzzled. Well, there’s the fact that they take more out of my pay than the previous employer, so I’m making up for the difference out of my pocket.

I am pissed so this is going to be one of my arguments at the next performance review provided they’re satisfied with my awesome work.

4 Likes

Yeah, I‘m in a similar place. More overall compensation, but a lot more hours (about 10%), so my hourly rate is slightly higher (4%), but this will be eaten by higher taxes (thanks to progressive taxes)

1 Like

All net (take home pay after taxes, social insurances, retirement etc.), since those I remember and are ~comparable

• 1997: 8k CFH (Started work in September)
  • 1998: 24k CHF
  • 1999: 26k CHF
  • 2000: 28k CHF
  • 2001: 30k CHF
  • 2002: 8k CHF + 18k USD
  • 2003: 38k USD
  • 2004: 45k USD
  • 2005: 45k USD
  • 2006: 28k USD + 18k CHF
  • 2007: 72k CHF
  • 2008: 74k CHF
  • 2009: 77k CHF
  • 2020: 107k CHF

2009-2020 progressively, but slowly increasing.

3 Likes

To complete the picture it would be extremely interesting to see the average saving quote p.a. in addition I think. 60% in my case last year.

i think it would make sense to define how you calculate your savings rate (e.g. pre tax, incl pillar 2 etc) to ensure comparability.

That’s exactly what’s going on in this thread: https://forum.mustachianpost.com/t/savings-rate-calculation/

A lot of discussion about what a saving rate is!

2 Likes

Are those all net salaries, or a mix?

Happy to mess up charts.

2015: 451k
2016: 561k
2017: 642k
2018: 731k
2019: 660k
2020: 468k
2021: 60k

Looking forward to my taxes going down. :wink:

16 Likes

Is this your salary or your net worth? :slight_smile:
actually wrong emoticon :slightly_frowning_face:

6 Likes

Those are numbers that people wrote on this thread. So it can potentially be a mix yes.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

I see a negative trend in your income since 2018. You should be constantly increasing it if you ever wish to FIRE. :wink:

5 Likes