Share your net worth progression

Thanks for the tip where you find potential opportunities. But where you actually buy them? Kucoin?

Just try to focus on this pair of numbers: 500 → 70k, not 70k to 360k. You still did pretty well :D.

it depends. especially new projects are not yet listed on a regular exchange. then you buy them via Uniswap (but be aware, gas fees are insane atm). but I bought BEPRO via KuCoin, for example. KuCoin has a lot of small cap coins in generall.

sure, it’s a lot and I’m young and ahead of the “game” by a lot but it still sucks haha

we probably should stop with the off-topic. I’m not sure if it’s possible to send pms. otherwise ask in the thread that I opened a few days ago if you have any questions :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the info. You are right about off-topic, I haven’t realised that our exchange is in this one :). Sorry for that, but I hope that the information provided will help everybody to accelerate our NW progression :D.

Maybe next time, try to just sell 50% of your position and try to sold the other 50% higher. If it drops, you would have still earned something :slight_smile:

Thanks for leaving the crypto discussion to another place. This topic should focus mainly on pure net worth progressions.

I will make an update as soon as I cross the 100k mark, which will be around July. A couple of months earlier than expected :smiley:

4 Likes

As explained in my post, I really like this thread. So I wanted to make more sense of the numbers available here and plotted them :slight_smile:

Everything in the same chart is blurry so I distinguished 3 categories of NW, split them with the NW of 2020, and here they are:

1. NW bigger than 2M in 2020
  2. NW between 400k and 2M in 2020
  3. NW lower than 400k

Category 1:

NW progession 2017-2020 (x 2M)(1)

Category 2:

Category 3:

Note: some numbers are estimations extracted from your charts, it may vary a bit from the reality, sorry for that. Contact me if something is wrong, I’ll change it.

I find it nice to see the numbers like this, what do you think ? And it can maybe create “competition” between similar NW in the future. I mean competition in the good way, like a gamified NW evolution. :sunny:

13 Likes

The number is really small, and will probably get down a bit end of the month as I have a big chunk of cash that need to get out, but it’s a first milestone for me… I just passed 50k NW! :slight_smile:

Only 2.950M to go to FIRE :joy: At this rate I should be OK to retire at 89 years old…

Edit : damn, a couple minutes earlier and I would have been in the global chart, even at the really bottom :smiley:

10 Likes

I agree, looks cool these graphs.

We also didn’t establish a mutual understanding of NW, some include 2nd Pillar, some don’t (e.g. me)

Yup, but I need at least two years to add you to the chart (I can update it). I have 50.1k for end of 2020, but do you know the NW at the end of 2019? If yes, I add you. And congrats for the 50k! :clap:

True. But it’s hard to standardize the process for everyone. Except if everyone follows MP’s way of doing!

End of 2019 was around 17k at most… damn I wasted so much money lol…
Thank you :slight_smile:

Great, you’re in the chart now @Zurtan

1 Like

The good news is that the first 50K are much harder to accumulate than the second 50k, if you invest the money reasonably.

5 Likes

IMHO it would be more interesting to plot the net wealth divided by annual expenses.
It would normalize away distortions like

• the necessary sum depends on how many people rely on it (one, two or, for a while, a few more…)
  • single vs. double income
  • present and future location

With CHF’s it’s comparing apples to oranges, the personal situations are too different.

1 Like

is that capital gains & dividend (before/after taxes)? It‘d be interesting in general to see what came out of capital gain / interest and what from adding capital.

Annual expenses is maybe too subjective but the number of dependents might be an interesting parameter. I fear there would be too many to take into account, though…

True @Zerte2 . If everyone is willing to give this piece of information, I’ll take care of the visualization!

Another metric that I find quite interesting is the one explained in the Millionaire Next Door book where the expected net worth being : age * income / 10. This number represent an “average accumulator of wealth” (AAW). If the net worth is half of that, you’re an “under accumulator of wealth” (UAW) and if it’s twice that, you’re a “prodigious accumulator of wealth” (PAW).
In my current case, I’m reaching the AAW this year, if everything goes well.

In summary this metric compares the net worth with the age and the income, and in your case it compares with the expenses.

1 Like

Income can vary a lot along one’s career. Do you take current income or is this aspect somehow already considered in the formula ?

Another topic: what would you do with mortgage? Theoretically it has to be deducted from NW but in my case I already know we’ll get rid of the house when we retire…

You’re right, the income varies. It may be good to smooth the income over some years to be more accurate. I don’t know.

Regarding the mortgage, yes, you deduce it from your NW. Or you just count the part of the house you really own (house value minus remaining mortgage).

Also, net or gross income?
What makes sense in one canton might not in another one, let alone in another country where tax eats 40-50%. :slight_smile:

OK, in fact I’m not considering the house at all as I plan to split the net amount (after selling) between the 2 kids