Share your net worth progression

Is this really all in BTC?
If so, what is your reason for not diversifying your Crypto-Assets (e.g. ETH)?

1 Like

Nice read… I’m a scientist and can definitely say that many in my domain should read this :laughing:

”On a large pile of money with many beautiful women.” -Rainier Wolfcastle

Seriously though, to amass 1M in crypto is not for the paper handed. I guess s/he has made peace with it a while ago.

5 Likes

diamond hands for sure

1 Like

As there seems to be some interest, I will give a bit more information.

I discovered Bitcoin in June 2011 while I was bored at work. First bubble, up to 30$ ! I bought the way up and the way down to 5$. Baby roller coaster. I came for the money, stayed for the tech and the possible money. And the drama.

Between 2011 and 2013 I decided to accumulate 100 bitcoins in total. I thought it was enough to be filthy rich if it was a success and not lose too much if it was a failure (3500$ or something).

Having spent not much on it, it was easier not to sell. I kept telling myself that it was worth a few thousands, not hundreds thousands. When it reached 9000$, I set selling points such as 1BTC at 10000, 1BTC at 12000, etc… I sold half of my bitcoins following this plan, in 2017. I continue to follow the plan. I remove the emotional factor as much as I can.

I am nevertheless reconsidering from time to time, because things change and I change. I am now wondering if I will not sell half of the stash in one go.

Alts: I got interested in many of them and bought quite a few. Always with bitcoins so it was like free money. My feathercoins, peercoins, namecoins are not worth much now :smiley: See below for the ones I really like.

Security: having cryptos is a heavy work. Really. I had to learn a lot. I now have secured the cryptos in a way that should prevent hacking and personal threats. In particular I use multi-sig, one of them by a notary.

If you mean how much of my net worth would disappear shall BTC fail, around 35%.

My other cryptos do not account for much. I personally like ETH, I was part of the ICO and followed since then. If you have to pick one, pick this one. Also Monero: it has proper privacy and tries to be ASIC resistant. BCH: (I don’t want to start a war) that was the vision for Bitcoin in the early days, i.e. to be able to use the currency for transactions and not only as a store of value.

10 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Security tips on holding a large crypto position

One question I think you could ask yourself:
If you had your current knowledge and net worth but didn’t own any BTC, how much would you buy?

7 Likes

I ran the numbers tonight and yep at 504k CHF now :smiley: @_MP I’m coming for you :wink:

6 Likes

Congrats!
How much of that is Tesla? :grin:
Edit: Or crypto, now that I see your blog. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Added taxable + 3a to Portfolio Performance, here is the result since my start(excluding 3a that was a few month with ZKB before transferring to VIAC)

Not sure if I should add 2nd Pillar, as well.

You can add taxonomies to each asset and export the data as csv. Lots of room for visualization.

4 Likes

Tesla is around 2k (10% of ARKk) plus whatever is in 80k worth of VT.
Crypto are at around 100k now (see my portfolio page on the blog) for more details.

1 Like

This post inspired me to finally start an Excel spreadsheet. Thankfully all my banks provide some kind of history to pull from. Here’s where I am so far:

Those fluctuations are… taxes :coffin: and I still have no 3rd pillar. Maybe next year I’ll find the energy and time to learn more about investing and look into a stock 3rd pillar portfolio…

6 Likes

I have a tip (which a finance friend gave to me):
Maintain a separate “taxes” cash (or whatever, liabilities) line item, and track the negative value there (e.g. reduce by -2000 chf) each month.
When you “sum up” your cash value, make sure to include that line item in the calculation.
When the tax payday comes by, just reduce your “normal” cash position by the amount of taxes paid (-24000chf), and compensate for that amount in this “taxes” line item (e.g. go from -24000chf to 0chf).
That way there is no drop in accounting, as in your chart. :slight_smile:

Hope I made sense.

5 Likes

Funny but I never managed to put togheter a proper nw tracking. Too many moving pieces to go backwards but I will start fresh with this month. Thanks for motivation everybody :slight_smile:

Still annoyed that there is not a single tool that can solve everything (track etf, balances, tax liabilities, works for ch and eur, multiple currencies, real estate, Nw plots etc)

3 Likes

True, I used to do that by having another bank account dedicated to tax money where I would deposit a certain amount each month. I stopped doing it, as I don’t really mind the dips (on the contrary, now I always know that in July/August I always have big expenses, as well as December, where I pay my full year of health insurance).
It would make sense to divide it up on all months, but it doesn’t bother me enough to fo through the hassle.

No need to have a separate account, just a separate line item to track it (into negatives until payday). :slight_smile:

Portfolio Performance seems to hit all or at least most of your points.

The only thing that I find missing is deferred tax liabilities for 3a accounts.

1 Like

Performance over time (1)

Performance over time

The line leading to the 2 yellow triangles is the progression required to meet my EFU number for FIRE. 2020 has so far been a great year in terms of ETF returns (even after having seen all my gains wiped out in March)!

8 Likes

Hi,

I track my net worth since September 2017, which was the first day of my working life. Please see below my net worth progression:

Please note that the red dot represents the date at which I combined the net worth of my wife (approx. CHF 25k) with mine.

I share a monthly update of my net worth on my blog, which is written in French.

I still have a looooong way to go until I can compete with you guys :wink: But your net worths give me hope as they tend to validate that the concept of FIRE is achievable in Switzerland!

11 Likes

You’re pretty well on your way though, the hardest part is the first 200K :ok_hand:. I spent more than 20 years of my professional life to get there (admittedly living in the wrong country for accumulation of wealth, I should have come to Switzerland way before :flushed:, even if it is to work remotely for US companies :joy:).

4 Likes