Selling tips and experiences

Hi Mustachians,

I am currently selling my flat. I have not had as many visit requests as I was expecting, and even the virtual tours have only attracted around 4%.

Would you like to share your experiences, or is it all about the selling price?

Listing

Thanks!

Give details or show the listing.

3 Likes

check out the other listings of flats/houses of similar size/rooms in your area on websites like neho. Compare the the quality of virtual tour, pictures, and documentation, etc. Those are the kind of listings potential customers are looking at.

If all looks comparable then it maybe price issue of something else.

2 Likes

How long is it online? If it’s more than two weeks the price is propably too high.

1 Like

Is that expectation based on some real estate calculator that gives you a price and perhaps even interested parties?

They are way, way off. Both the price and number of interested party. My mortgage provider and houzy give me estimates that are around 30% and more above market value. And I know market value because I live in a building complex where over time people are selling fairly equivalent flats and I can see what they are listed as. And saw one being relisted at 100k less to then be sold.

The number of interested party is also really basically just anyone that has an interest in a very loose filter for your flat. Doesn’t reflect the actual reality of specific location and price and then well what does your flat actually look like. I assume you have pictures up? That will immediately put people off, at least for the price. The figure just doesn’t consider preferences at all.

1 Like

It is mainly because it is within easy reach of all amenities. It is in a modern building, less than 200 meters from shops, transport, schools, and the forest. It’s on the ground floor next to the main street, and that might not be to everyone’s liking. But it’s great for a family, a small business, and an elderly couple because it’s close to everything.

Since April 2026, listed at 1.25M, currently at 1.18M.

Updated the first post with the listing.

What is the actual price you are expecting?

The red kitchen is imho an absolute nightmare :smiley:. As for the listing: Idk how to express it, but for me it’s all too colorful. Maybe tyding up the place a bit to give a better “feeling for the space” could help.

6 Likes

Maybe the gas heating could be an issue? I would be concerned with the need to switch to a more expensive solution if the boiler dies.

1 Like

Consider cleaning up the bathroom (mountain of shampoo bottles in shower, layers of rags covering faucet, tons of cosmetics crowding the sink) for the photos?

4 Likes

Can’t comment the price, but in case you look for some potential issues your target group families might find:

  • main reason for ground floor for me would be direct garden access, ideally private.
  • “Within easy reach” might be a plus, but I’d look for keywords like “yet quiet”. It has public street directly on one side, and seems to be above ground level on the back? The private street on the corner, is that a parking spot in front of living or bedroom?
  • no view from the terrace, but a close-by old building
  • the rooms have a decent size, but with the windows, furnishing might be difficult. Kitchen or baths might feel small to some.
  • 2010 isn’t that new, anymore. The building looks even older. Maybe it’s those balconies or the yellowish color. Somehow it doesn’t trigger a “oh this looks nice” to me
  • Any storage room, shared facilities?
  • Interior is ok-ish, but not “high-quality”. No spots, few light sources in general, no ventilation etc. it’s more mid-range or “rental standard”. No mentioning of internet connection etc. Gas heating
  • Did anyone notice the kitchen is lacquered red? Guess that’s a matter of taste :wink:

Anyway, just some thoughts. Good luck with the selling.

By the way, out of curiosity what does that mean? 4% of what?

2 Likes

The kitchen was red when I bought it. After some time, you just get used to it. It looks a lot better in person :slightly_smiling_face: Yes, we’re planning to retake some photos; I’m installing a new shower stall, and we had to reschedule the photo shoot because it was raining and we were caught a little off guard.

Some heating solutions are better than others (electric is definitely worse than gas), the building is from 2010. If the boiler needs to be replaced, the cost is divided among all the building owners. The current renovation fund exceeds 120k.

Yes, thanks, we’re planning to retake some photos. I’m installing a new shower stall, and we had to reschedule the photo shoot because it was raining and it was a last minute thing.

1 Like

4% of people who view the listing take the virtual tour.

yes, it’s an external parking place.

yes, a basement with 8m2

It is scheduled to be completely painted (in a different color) over the next two years.

1 Like

Got it. Well, layout seems pretty straight-forward. When I considered buying, I did initially look for apartments. To consider switching from renting, these had to be either perfect, or pretty cheap. That can be narrowed-down very quickly looking at a few pictures.

If I click on the listing during a meeting out of curiosity, it’s a useless metric for you. I’m just a tourist, no interested buyer. Couldn’t even do the virtual tour without an account. In the end, you need just one buyer, so numbers might not mean too much.

If there are very few comparable listings, it’s difficult to judge the price. To me, it looks like the kind of place you might also find as mid-range rental. Have you also benchmarked the selling price against the local rents?

2 Likes

Yes, my neighbor sold hers, and now it’s being rented out. I was expecting investors to be interested in renting it out since rents are above CHF 3100.

is 3100 with or without charges?
Assuming is net (3100 plus charges) the return is just 3% once you add the cost of the parking spaces and the “notary” fees. I’m not even calculating if it is “charges incluses”.

An investor will look for a minimum of 4%. At 3% no investor will be interested unless they have some extra reasons (buy for the kids, etc.).

I don’t see a specific reason for the low number of visits, but on a personal level:

  • I’m put off by adverts proposing an interesting price to then discover parking spaces to pay on top but Neho must know what’s best
  • all modern flats look to me largely the same and there are few possibilities of adding value to them, so location is the real only difference, stress this as much as you can
  • I prefer older flats anyway, better value for money if you choose correctly and more flexibility with the works. So look if there are changes to the flat that could be done easily/cheaply to create a new room, remove a room, open (or close) the kitchen, etc. that can be pointed out to potential buyers

Hope this can help and all the best for your sale

2 Likes

3100 to 3500 including charges.

Thanks a lot!