Salt new internet offer

let us know when you see it.
Actually post also if you see some mustachian stuff on qoqa :slight_smile:

Right now you can get the same 1gbit deal for CHF 35/month on yallo:

The QoQa deal was valid only for 5 years, this if for lifetime.

1 Like

Angebot gültig vom 16.10 bis 18.10.
:frowning:

You can still try joining. Most people were not contacted yet after signing up.

Reviving this thread because I actually got Salt Fiber and wanted to give my feedback. Previously I used Salt 4G for internet at home for only 10 CHF/month, and I was pretty satisfied, great value for money. But when Fiber became available for 39 CHF/month, I took the plunge.

I’m not really very satisfied. I cannot test the 10 Gbps, because I have no device that supports it. In fact, I do not have any device with ethernet. The best test I could make was to place my laptop close to the router while connected via 5GHz wifi. Then I was able to reach 800 Mbps. But the placement of fiber is terrible at my flat, so the router is far away from any device, and the speed drops drastically with distance. So effectively, my devices get 40 Mbps. And here comes the worst part. Some evenings, YouTube or Netflix take very long to buffer, the speed drops almost to a standstill for a minute. I don’t know what is it caused by.

The ping always appears to be 3 ms on the speedtest website, but in online games the experience is very weird. Like, it’s fine for some seconds and then some jitter appears and screws up the gameplay.

Apple TV is ok, but the remote is retarded. Kind of love it, kind of hate it.

1 Like

Hey @Bojack 10 CHF/month for home internet with Salt?
Where is this offer? I couldn’t find it on their website.

Wifi is usually pretty bad for online gaming.

2 Likes

For me, I have the Salt Surf since 2 years and I actually got a 25 CHF discount from them until 2026. So currently it’s not available.

I am thinking about making the jump, but I wonder if someone managed to get rid of the 99chf initial cost OR for a free decent remote control.

Also I’ve seen there is a new version of their box, has anyone tried it? (fiber box x6)

I think a friend of mine got it. It’s seemingly black instead of white. No other complaints heard.

I know it’s been a while but a few points for future readers:

• with cheap providers, peering is usually an issue. This means they don’t have enough bandwidth to exchange all their users data with typical bandwidth hogs like Netflix or YouTube etc. This is impossible to see without actually signing up and using these services during peak times. Your internet might be super fast to speedtest but slow to a crawl with Netflix or YT.

• speedtest generally isn’t a very good way to test a service provider. Most (all?) service providers have caught up with this long ago and they’ll tweak their network so that packets going to and from speedtest.net will have the utmost priority on their network. As a result, every ISP’s speedtest results look amazing, no matter how shitty (oversubscribed) their connections actually are. A much better alternative is speedof.me (virtually unknown so no ISP cheats on the results to that test) and fast.com (a good indicator of what Netflix performance will be)

• 10gbits is pure marketing. As you’ve noticed, no one can actually use 10 Gbit/s because the network cards that do these Ethernet speeds are insanely expensive and power hungry. Wifi doesn’t even reach 1gigabit. But it looks good on paper: “10 times faster than our competitors and half the price)”… don’t fall for it, you won’t ever notice any difference with speeds higher than 300 Mbit/s both ways. I have top notch, wired networking and rarely can a remote host send me data faster than 15–30MB/sec (110–220mbits)

• Swisscom is generally overpriced for what it is, and uses their own fiber network because they want to stifle competition. Every other provider uses the same physical fiber to your house as laid by your city, and unless you go with bottom feeders like salt or yallo, chances are that performance will be very similar. In my city, almost every ISP costs around 40–50 a month for gigabit speeds, no contract, first month or two free to test the service, modem/router given fo free. Shop around and if you don’t want to worry about your internet performance, go with init7 (but they’re pricey)

10 Likes

Haha, nice review of Salt… so you’re saying if I found another provider in my building than Salt (or Swisscom, which I know is an option, but it costs), there is a chance they’re faster than Salt, even if they’re on the same infrastructure?

Yes. They’re all sharing the same wire basically but they have their own network, peering, routing so yes another provider will probably have a better network. At least where I live, most operators let you test their service for free the first month (during which you can cancel without penalty or notice) so if you have that option too you could make sure it’s suitable that way.

I moved in to a place that had a 10Mbit connection with Init7. the ping is regularly at >200ms (gaming :sweat_smile:) and homeoffice-videocalls are a big fail, although neither actually requires 10 Mbit.

we instantly switched and hope it gets better elsewhere…

1 Like

To befair, 10 Mbit/s isn’t much for anything at all these days. If a device on your network is downloading an update in the background for example, or someone else is watching YouTube in HD, you wouldn’t necessarily know about it but it would eat up all available bandwidth and choke everything on your network.

Ping is highly dependent on server location too, if your game server is on another continent you’ll get very long round trips.

I don’t have any skin the game, my provider isn’t that large and they deliver sub-10ms pings to locations that matter to me. Although I don’t play games online so not vitally important to me.

Anyway, you do you. Like I said, many providers (at least where I live) will let you test their service for a month or two and cancel without penalties if you don’t like it within that period of time.

Wait for the qoqa sunrise offer by the end of the year. I have 100 mbits speed for 29 per month.

Why are Salt and Yallo “bottom feeders”?

They have very aggressive sales techniques, try and gouge you any way they can, and are just not pleasant to deal with. YMMV but I personally give them a wide berth.

1 Like

Same experience with Sunrise here.

I assume they are all the same.

1 Like

Anyone has experience with iWay.ch? They would cost 49chf/month for 1GB fibre connection, but the first three months would be free. They also have 1 year contract instead of Salt/Yallo which have 2 years or more…