Salt new internet offer

49chf.
49chf.
49chf.

I don’t care if it’s 1Gbit peak or 10Gbit peak. It’s freaking 49chf. Some other companies gives you 10Mbit for that price.

Speaking of speed, you also need to find sites that answer fast enough (for normal usage bla bla.)

Who said anything about normal usage [Insert insane smile]

Are you creating a personalized netflix clone? :slight_smile:

1 Like

I get that, I’d just be a bit worried about a company that sells you something they know you’re not going to be able to use, it shows that they care more about the PR stunt than the service itself.

But hey, give it a shot and let us know how it performs!

I am pretty sure they are banking on most people using it on wifi which can not even reach 1Gbit (well at least not in usual configurations).

But if they deliver even close to 10gbit to the 2 people actually able to pull it they do not even have to lie and everyone is happy.

But salt has surprised me before when I got the “unlimited” internet package and just for science used 200gb in the first 2 days at full speed, I never heard anything from them or got throttled. To be fair I probably used less than that for the whole rest of the 2 year contract period. They did however have the worst coverage and the slowest network (still alright though) and the contract auto-renewed which annoyed me so much I switched.

It’s standard practice on this industry to buy a certain capacity and sell it to more customers. It’s like for airlines. They know that no one is gonna use it 100% of the time at 100% of the capacity. That is also why a Big company offering it will be more successful than a small one doing the same.
If you check the small prints on all ISPs around the world, they will offer you MAX_SPEED at best effort, which means that if too many people on your part of their backbone are using 100% of their capacity, your connection will be slow.
Basically do not live near a WG full of students/hackers :slight_smile:

At those speed it is a PR stunt. Even if it works when you test it.

I am with fiber7 and I do have 1G gear, which was expensive enough. I know fiber7 is more expensive than the new salt offer but I’m gonna stay because of

• customer service is p.e.r.f.e.c.t. (small company, savvy people)
  • they have their own netflix server. it’s also well under 1ms to google’s DNS and www.google.com
  • they are very active in politics for net neutrality and so forth
    if I were to need a tv solution, their product is best because it’s without delays (you’ll find out what I mean during the World Cup)

But if I were to find a solution I would probably go for salt and let me piss off by their customer support, spend hundreds of CHF on 10G-Switches, 802.11ax WiFi and so forth.

4 Likes

Support is the big problem with today’s big companies. It’s two day sin a row that my internet connection has problems around 22:00 22:30. Very annoying. If I call some 1st level support I will probably waste my time. The only solution I see is to go to sleep and wait the next day.

2 Likes

Anyone tried Salt Fiber?

Bump.
Really no one bought it?

I am paying the 26.- for the TV connection/cable plus the cheapest package from UPC cablecom which is in total 56CHF.

If I close my cable connection completely, will I save the 26 CHF “connection” fee or is there a similar fee for the fiber?

No fee as long as you live in the right places. check Salt’s website.

No one got the offer then?

I’m trying to understand if they disabled all bi-canal transmission (dual audio)

I didnt get it because my flat doesnt have fiber :frowning:

From what I have heard, is it isnt soo reliable and the speeds are rarely achieved…

I’d love to see some numbers about reliability. Speed doesn’t matter. from 100Mbit upwards is almost of no use to me…and I suppose to many many others.

I am really interested in the bi-audio thing. Many Channels today offer original and translated audio. Some also offer captioning. I suppose Salt doesn’t offer both of them.

I am interested as well even though I will probably never get fiber where I currently live. If they only manage 100Mbit it is not really worth it tbh, 100Mbit over fiber would be a joke but if the manage >500Mbit reliably that would not be too bad.

Ahhh that’s what you meant with bi-audio, i was thinking you meant ISDN which is mostly dead by now.

Sorry, I might sound rude…but what do you really want to do with it?? Everyone want faster and faster internet… for what reason? Torrents? It will take you 4 minutes to download an Ubuntu Iso with a 50mbit… do you really need it instantly? People seems to forget that the other side must be fast as well… and “the other side” might be 5-10 servers… See the garbage you get from some major website (I’m talking about 200-300 requests per page, dozens of scripts downloaded etc.)

And let’s not talk about the price…

That was exactly the point, you can get 100Mbit cheaper most places. Normies should be completely fine with 50Mbit+ probably even less.

What services are you accessing that can not even do 100mbit? HP driver downloads?
I use it for basically all uses you mentioned, plus one you missed.
Games these days are huge and then you are playing with your friends an they want to switch to something you currently have not installed…
Oh and torrenting all the “Linux ISOs” takes some bandwidth of course XD.

:slight_smile:
I still believe I’d care more for 100chf in my pocket rather than 100mbit more.

Which ISP you know that cost less than 50chf and gives you 100mbit? solnet?

Ups, I forgot the offer was that cheap, I was thinking around 70/80 CHF.

Yeah int hat case it does not matter much.

Best offer you can get is Sunrise QoQa 1GBit/1Gbit für CHF 29 / month. But it’s nut currently on offer.