Postfinance and Swissquote launch a new app called Yuh

Interesting. A colleague of mine who lives in Germany (cross border commuter) was recently complaining about the additional charges he needs to pay for swiss bank account (and sometimes obligatory debit card) for receiving salary. None of the other swiss neo-banks offer a basic account for free.

Interesting indeed. The potential use case keeps shifting, from something for me, to something for my wife to something for my mother (who lives in Germany and wants to have a Swiss account, without being a private banking client).

1 Like

What’s double surprising is that, it seems hard for them to claim they’re execution only (they’re clearly promoted those 2, and the selection is super limited). UBS had to drop US ETFs, I wonder how long they’ll keep it…

Are they at least allowing all other US ETFs? (e.g. they’re an unrestricted broker).

Wonder what they’d reply if someone ask how they’ll comply to Finsa (and how much of a mess that’ll create on their side :))

(Or if someone asks for the KIID)

Yes, but VT is only better if you are able to claim the withholding tax back.

You need 40’000+ chf invested to receive enough dividends to be able to reclaim the withheld taxes with da-1.

1 Like

@xorfish Can you explain this better or a link to this subject? (Rookie here! :relaxed: Thanks.)

Wasn’t trying to correct you (even though I admit it might have sounded like that). :wink:

In all seriousness though, if you’re making regular payments to third parties in the EU/EEA, I’d recommend an EEA-based account instead.

It’s not fun if you pay for something by bank transfer and the recipient doesn’t receive the full amount - or gets charged bank fees, cause your own account is based in Switzerland (or vice versa, a payer incurs additional fees to make a SEPA transfer to your Swiss account).

DA-1 requires non-refundable* withholding tax to amount to a minimum of 100 CHF**

* To be clear: “non-refundable” in this case means you can’t get it directly from the foreign tax admin (which would be cumbersome and expensive anyway), but you can have them credited towards your Swiss tax bill with DA-1. This most often means the “first” 15% withheld.
** xorfish must have worked out a rough number by multiplying investment by a reasonable assumption for dividend yield

But…

…if you have less than 100 CHF in nonrefundable, tax withheld, you could then list only the net amounts of dividends in the Wertschriftenverzeichnis?

4 Likes

You can only claim the withholding taxes back, if you have at least 100 chf withheld.

At a tax rate of 15%, this means you need to get around 670chf in dividends and you need around 40’000 chf invested to get to these 670 chf in dividends.

But even if you are not able to claim the taxes back, the difference in cost between vwrl and VT is pretty small.

SWAP based etfs can also be very tax efficient. The msci world etf from invesco is a pretty good option, but that etf doesn’t cover small cap nor emerging markets.

6 Likes

Do they offer the possibility to register your shares like swissquote?
It looks like this could be the perfect broker for pijama “investments” :wink:

5 Likes

It’s not because you cannot buy Calida stocks, at least at the moment they are not in their list.

Well, never happened to me with Postfinance EUR account, in either direction. When I had been shown a message that a transfer was going as a SEPA and fees were 0, it was like this. Once I was transferring EUR to two different EUR accounts in the same non-EUR EU country. One transfer had been confirmed to be SEPA and it had proceeded without fees. For another one I had gotten a message that it won’t be free, so I did something else.

2 Likes

Well, I don’t know if it is a bug or a feature, but I transferred cash from my “normal” Swissquote trading account to yuh account instantly and for free, like an internal transfer.

1 Like

That’s interesting, you didn’t have to pay the 2.-

Looks like I’ve found a use case for Yuh after all? :smiley:

6 Likes

I currently invest with Swissquote, which is so much more expensive than Yuh. Besides the difference in choice of investments, do you guys think there is any significant difference that warrants the lower cost of Yuh?
I am curious more in terms of asset security, difference in the way custody is done? Is SQ safer than Yuh? If not, why is SQ charging so much more? Only for the choice?

Sorry for the many questions :slight_smile: And I understand you may not know, but I am curious what your opinions are

Really? Now calculate how much you pay to invest at once 50k CHF in a “Leader ETF”?

2 Likes

Recently it happened that the recipient of a EUR transfer told me they had not received all the money I sent. I actually never asked any of the other times I have transferred EUR from PF, so it might be common that the receiver pays a fee, I guess it depends on the receiving bank.

FWIW, sending the money from DKB to the same recipient was free.

2 Likes

If you are investing 50k at a time, then SQ is has lower brokerage fees (according to my quick calculation, the break-even point where SQ becomes cheaper than Yuh is 11k). But for someone who invests say, 1 or 2 thousand francs per month, Yuh is a very affordable option, as far as Swiss banks go.

2 Likes

In my experience, banks in Spain love applying fees to incoming SEPA transfer from Switzerland, and now the UK too.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t have 50K to invest :slight_smile: (I wish I did!)
I think I’ll see what plans Yuh comes up with in 2022 and switch accordingly!

I always thought SQ to be the golden standard when it comes to super safe custody (since it holds securities in customer’s names), and thought Yuh would lack when compared. But perhaps I am wrong? Of course, with SQ I have access to the Lombard loan which could be interesting too.

I won’t go into a rant about future value of money and opportunity costs, but there is one important point that I would like to note: considering developments and competitions around trading/investing brokers last years and especially after 2020 lockdown, I don’t think in 20 years we will pay 0.1% custody fee for a privilege to keep our ETFs with a Swiss broker. YUH is a next step in this direction. I think no custody fees (in any form) will be a standard for Swiss brokers in 5 years.

Exactly: it depends.