Pants down: yearly spending!

Household costs including your mortgage?

Yes (500 kCHF @ 0.9%)

1 Like

31 and 34 years old, 2 kids.
2021 expenses : 87 312 including taxes

Can u be more specific? Do you pay for childcare or is your spouse home with them? Do you own your home?

Including taxes is a bit odd. It’s not spending, it’s cost on income so doesn’t really give a good picture (and makes things not comparable), if I earn 500k I’ll have something like 150k+ of taxes before any other expenses.

7 Likes

Yep !
Excluding taxes :

House (rent, food, etc.) 36 081
Insurances (health, home, RC, etc.) 11 888
2 cars (insurances, taxes, fuel, etc.) 5 824
Internet at home and mobile (4 numbers) 1 356
Nursery 3 060
Gift, leisures and holidays 9 800
Others 2 303
TOTAL 70 312
1 Like

2 adults, 2 kids, 2021 total expenses excluding taxes:
CHF 135,000
:frowning:

1 Like

THANK YOU!!

You can give us some context too in order to feel better. I suppose you both work full time and need to pay for nursery? Or private schools maybe? Figures without context are not right or wrong so you’re fine. Also, it depends on how much you earn :slight_smile:

one person, leaving in Bern. 30k roughly, mainly rent and travels for seeing my gf… without the travels I would reach 26k. Unfortunately I don’t have them divided because I completely changed my spreadsheet for 2022 and deleted the old one

Yep !

Me full time
My wife 80%
Boy 1 : 3yo, one day per week to nursery.
Boy 2 : 1yo, with grandparents when we work.
We both don’t work on Wednesday :wink: (I am full time but with free time slot to work).
We are both teacher, meaning that we have a lot of time with children during vacation !

I would be happy to compare and help to optimize !

OK, CHF 114,000 would actually be a more accurate figure for the four of us. I had included CHF 21,000 for the establishment of an Airbnb flat in 2021 (some one off and some recurring items…)

Our top spending categories:

25,100 - rent and utilities
18,000 - health
17,000 - groceries
11,500 - holidays
5,600 - transport

how do you live in a 2000 CHF flat with 4 people? :astonished:
Maybe Zürich prices have miscalibrated me.

1 Like

Even in Zurich, doable if you are lucky.
My 3 room 75 sqm apartment (in a decent location in Kreis 2) is less than 2k.
I could imagine a family with 2 kids living at my place.

OK I’m officially wanting too much then :smiley: We have a 4.5 with 105sqm with 1 kid and it’s barely enough.

How do you manage a 3-room apartment with 2 kids (and potentially with 2 parents working from home)?

4 Likes

4.5 room apartment in a mid-sized Swiss town.

2 Likes

wait a minute… 75 sqm 2 kids, woah. Respect if you manage it.

1 Like

I grew up in 25sqm in a family of 4 (until I was 12 or so), so anything is possible; and everything is relative. :slight_smile:
I think we are very spoiled here.

Sure nowadays WFH brings complications, but if we assume “normal life”, it shouldn’t be such a challenge. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hi all,

As i cannot write these figures as it would get too complicated and too time-consuming - see attached a screenshot of the budget for the year 2022 (live-view) which is up-to-date YTD.

You see the Cost of Life which is 71’685 CHF and total net salary of 145’809 CHF.

The total expenses of CHF 71’685 include both taxes as well as 3A contributions of 6.82k CHF. So if you would like to compare my figures - you would need to deduct those two figures.

We live in Zurich and I am 31 years old - my wife is 27 years old.

15 Likes

hi @RayKeynes
looks like an awesome spreadsheed! is there a chance you make it available (without your data od course)?^^

4 Likes