Pants down, 30yo financial analyst

Since you cite me directly… are you a friend of @kilyn or something? The two of you would do great in a blind date.

I just commented on this thread because it resonated well with me because I also was at around 160k net worth when I turned 30.

6 Likes

Would you be willing to share some insights into what you did differently, what you Invested in?

Might move the discussion in a more constructive direction …

2 Likes

I have long underestimated the power of dogs over humans. There are few words to describe what they bring to us, but all I understood at the age of 27 is that they will always be faithful and play an essential role in maintaining the work/life balance. How many times I have been able to solve a problem by walking my dog outside is just amazing!

3 Likes

That’s so true! Especially now in Covid times working from home for 1.5 years now and my wife not being around due to work, the dog really helps me to feel less lonely and reduce stress. I mean what’s better than playing with your dog in the garden and seeing how much fun he has :slight_smile:

Nice rule of thumb. It might be worth a separate thread. With more numbers. (at 9am I can barely calculate my age :smiley: )

1 Like

@ciez you should reach out to @pandas and @kilyn , you guys would get along :joy:

5 Likes

Very interesting read, and in particular how you keep track of your finances.
Where did you find your financial dashboard?

About buying a house, bare in mind this could be the last real estate you invest in, if you were to make that decision.

I personally invest in real estate to generate cash flow and value over time, while still renting my place at a low rent.

Thanks for your feedback!

The dashboards with the performance are made with Portfolio Performance, the last one I made myself in Excel.

1 Like

The excel sheet looks very pro.

Would you be opened to share it?
I’ve trying to do one myself but can’t seem to have much talent for design…

Thanks, I’ve been working with Excel for quite some time :slight_smile:

I can share the dashboard, however I don’t think it will be of much use for you, it’s specifically designed to handle transactions from beancount. Feel free to send me a PM about this if you are interested anyway.

Thanks @Luk_nuts for reminding me about an update for this post :slight_smile:

Net Worth Progression and Performance
Still using Portfolio Performance to track my investments.

2021 continued being a good year. I filled up the 3rd pillar and made a nice gain there. I again paid CHF 5’000 to the life insurance of my employer and he topped it up with another CHF 5’000 as usual.

2022 was a bad year performance wise, I “lost” more than CHF 10’000. I moved my investments from VWRL to Fundsmith (FEET) and Smithson (SSON). I again fully paid into the 3rd pillar and life insurance. I became a father in August, so I had some “unexpected” expenses.

2023 YTD

2023 was a good year so far in regards to performance. I moved the 3rd pillar at my cantonal bank (around 40k) to finpension and joined the quality club :rocket: (@San_Francisco)

I couldn’t really save a lot of money besides filling up the 3rd pillar and the life insurance (not paid yet and not visible in the graph).
There were many reasons for this, we bought a bigger car to accomodate our dog and daughter. It is a new car (not really mustachian I know :), but I got a huge fleet rebate from my employer and we don’t live in a big city with good public transport). In addition my wife took a few months unpaid leave to care for our daughter and I reduced my work to 80% for a few months for the same reason. On top of that, life got a bit more expensive :).

Since 01.01.2015

Overall I’m still very happy with my progression. Returns are rather low due to the big allocation to the 2nd pillar. But all in all it moves in the right direction :smiley:

Tangible Assets is my “half” of the car, which I don’t consider in Portfolio Performance.

Expenses and Budget
I extended my Excel “a bit”.

Cockpit

Savings

Net Worth

There are 2 other sheets that I won’t show here for privacy reasons, but they show more detailed views of our income and expenses.

As you can see, we still don’t live frugally at all :slight_smile: We didn’t buy a house as we intented, but moved to a new big house with garden and are more than happy with it for the moment.

I plan to FIRE at around 55 (prediction sheet in my Excel is in the works), but for now my focus is on my wife and our daughter and I try to not invest too much time in our finances at the moment.

13 Likes