Need help for interior design

Hey guys. As I’m separating from my GF (yeah it eventually happened), I’ll move into a 2.5 room apartment by end of year. Unfortunately 3.5 room apartments with the desired location cost around 2.5k/month, which I’m not willing to pay (the 2.5 room is already 2k/month). So I’ll be missing an office room to put my 180x80cm desk into it with my Gaming computer and so on. Now I’m struggling with where to put it:

Living room? Doesn’t it look like shit and like I’m a student?
Bedroom? Could it impact my sleep quality and make the room less comfortable as it would be slightly stuffed?

Any ideas?

2 Likes

sorry to hear that. What happens to the appartment you bought?

Regarding floor plan: yes would go with living room for desk, see attached. Who cares if there’s a desk, it’s your apartment, you can do whatever the hell you want! :wink:

6 Likes

Let me try (text enhanced by ChatGPT for imitating interior designers):

Creating distinct spaces for various activities enhances focus and productivity, as each activity—whether sleeping, working, or gaming—demands a unique mindset.

Consider dedicating the “WOHNEN” area to dynamic activities such as work, gaming, and hobbies. This clear delineation allows these activities to have their dedicated environment. Meanwhile, reserve the “ZIMMER” for relaxation and rest, incorporating elements like your bed to foster a tranquil atmosphere.

This thoughtful separation ensures that private rooms remain secluded from the more public areas near the entrance. Utilize the “KOCHEN/ESSEN” spaces, and especially the “LOGGIA,” for entertaining guests, creating a welcoming and functional flow for social gatherings.

1 Like

Shit. I’m sorry to hear that.

Actually, when I broke up with my long term GF, I stayed in the 4.5 room apartment and actually moved my computer from the ‘hobby room’ into the living room as I spent most time on my computer and so wanted it in the biggest and brightest room.

1 Like

@kane
My idea is to sell it, but there is no rush. She can stay for the moment till she finds a long-term solution.

@Helix @PhilMongoose
I spend a lot of time on my computer. Actually most of the time when I’m at home. So it might make sense to make the living room the room where I enjoy stuff and the bedroom only for resting? Like this:

4 Likes

Depending on the setup the sunset glare could be annoying.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that Cortana.

I just have some tips for your bedroom, as sleep is just so important (I wrote more about it somewhere here on the forum from the book “Why We Sleep”, but can’t find it at the moment):

• Keep your bedroom completely free from electronic devices
  • Keep it cool and dark, like a cave
  • Sleeping should be the only activity that you are doing there
7 Likes

Can fully echo that - bedroom is for sleep (and related :wink: activites) only. Do not put a desk in your bedroom. Your primeval instincts need a safe place that doesn’t remind you of any activites, adrenaline and the like…

7 Likes

Try to post here:
https://old.reddit.com/r/FengShui/

Nice place (if you like an open kitchen, unlike me).

1 Like

Any suggestions for furniture stores despite the obvious (Ikea, Livique, XXLLutz)?

Beliani seems to have nice things at a fair price, but I’m afraid it’s only online (with decent return periods).

While I‘m pretty digitalized, furnitures are one of those things I prefer only buying in the store after I saw/tested it.

3500 bed
2000 wardrobe
1500 couch
2000 LG 77“ Oled TV
1000 standing desk
1000 kitchen/bathroom stuff
1500 dinner table and chairs
1000 lamps and mirrors
1300 Roborock S8 Ultra MaxV

This separation will probably cost me 15k.

5 Likes

A bargain for an happy life.
Better to take early decision than wait after wedding for proper divorce and including kids (monthly allowances).

7 Likes

What about your existing stuff? It’s all hers?

Some of those are quite high budgets for temporary or Ikea-style stuff. Sky is the limit on the higher end, of course.

There are tons of other stores, it’s always worth to get several offers for brands. Potentially including some across the border. Generally, furniture stores have huge gross margins. For some items, second-hand can be an option, including used commercial office furniture, if you are up for the hassle.

77’’ TV and high-end cleaning robot for a small apartment? Well, that’s just personal preference :smiley:

You should write an article on the money side of separation, especially when it comes to owning property and shared household.

4 Likes

Do those bots really work? I am hesitating even to buy some moder vacuum because of the issues I think they have with long hairs.

Some of my furniture (I’d say the “show furniture”, like shelves, not the bed for example) comes from facebook marketplace. My dining table as well. Big and robust with very sturdy chairs.
You also have to think about the environment. Recycling was one of the reasons for me.

3 Likes

Ottos. You probably won’t get your 3.5k bed there, but if you are also okay with paying half of it for basically the same, I can recommend :wink:

Unless you do crazy things with your bedframe they will also hold 20 years easily.

Good thing is you can test everything in their stores; even if its a messy place and less of a high-class experience than Möbel Pfister o.ä.

Is the flat perfectly flat to use this one? I had good experience with cordless Bosch vacuums (better value/price ratio than Dyson IMO).

1 Like

Have you ever had a robot vacuum? I was not really impressed and sold mine after a few months and invested the proceeds in a good vacuum from Dyson.

We have had a robot vacuum vacuum for years now. The old models that couldn’t do room mapping were indeed not that great. But the newer ones know where they are and allow for selective room cleaning (we clean the kitchen much more often than the home office).

These things are marvelous and work perfectly, but we also have no cantilever chairs, no carpets and no doorsills. Currently, we have the S8 Pro Ultra, and often when we go to bed we send it off to vacuum and mop the kitchen, entrance, dining room and the living room, regularily going back to its dock to clean the mop, mopping each room in a criss-cross pattern… we don’t mop manually anymore, or maybe the edges and corners every once in a while.

2 Likes

I‘m going to leave her a lot of stuff, as she doesn‘t have the money to buy everything new.

@ma0 @Burningstone
I already have the Roborock S7 (which I‘ll let her keep) since 2 years and I‘m extremely happy with it. It works flawlessly and saves us so much time. We bought my older brother the S8 Ultra MaxV 2 months ago (for his 40th birthday) and it‘s a huge improvement over mine (which is already great). These things are almost like scifi-robots nowadays. So it‘s an investment which is totally worth for me.

@almi
I‘ve tried dozens of beds 2 years ago when we were looking for a new one for the apartment. It‘s Liz&Louis (Superba) from Livique and just doesn‘t compare to cheaper ones in my opinion. My sleep quality is excellent, so I want to replace it 1:1. It costs 5k, but I‘ll be able to get a 28% discount.

2 Likes

ricardo or - as you prefer in store - brockis. You may save 0.2 BTC :smile:
On ricardo I found my couch for 400chf (price of new 8k) + 300chf Transport.

But I know 2nd hand is not for everyone.

(I’m setting off my carbon footprint from my Diesel pick-up)

1 Like