My target portfolio

Two references that I want to add here:

1. Spitznagel - Safe Haven Investing about how tail hedging can improve portfolio compounding, and allow for higher equity allocations
  2. Jim Garland - Memo to the Darcy Family, about how the real measure of a portfolio for endowment investors is the asset’s fecundity

As you’re already financially independent the latter will help you improve thinking about spending levels (vs 4% rule heuristics) and the former will help build some mental scaffolding on failsafe ways to improve long-term growth

Also it amuses me you’re listening to Hoffstein, he’s a :goat:

3 Likes

What’s not to like about Hoffstein :smile:?

Also, thanks for your reading suggestions. Do you think tail hedging makes sense long-term for unleveraged portfolios, given the costs? Especially compared to just holding multiple uncorrelated assets/strategies with positive expected returns?

Safe havens in one period of market volatility may react differently in another, so there is no consistent safe haven approach other than portfolio diversity, imo. The only reliable safe haven is buying puts, which is an expensive loser’s game long-term imo.

You can download the SG Trend index (not SG CTA index) and ask KMLM to send you the MLM index. Both go further back in time. MLM does not include costs.

3 Likes

That’s why I’m saying-- read the book.

Buying puts is not a loser’s game in the same way buying insurance isn’t – while it’s costly at the individual level it’s highly beneficial at the overall portfolio level!

Another funny one’s this one here: [1507.04655] Insurance makes wealth grow faster

2 Likes

Will gladly look into it, trying to stay open-minded. I think Taleb and Asness had a heated debate on this subject not too long ago :grin:

Btw, curious about what you think of Hoffstein: brilliant mind or brilliant salesman, or both?

1 Like

One good mantra is “I don’t care about being right I care about making money”, so after you make a bundle on a strat all those debates fade into the background lol

As to Hoffstein, I think he’s both - do checkout episode S2E2 with Benn Eifert, he’s more of a quant and it’s super interesting

1 Like

Anyone know of a cheap global inflation-linked government bond fund, CHF-hedged?

I’m looking for:

• global diversification
  • no inflation risk
  • no currency risk
  • no credit risk (no corporates)

Kinda like iShares Global Inflation-Linked Bond Index Fund (IE), but CHF hedged.

CHF hedging means you are trying to mitigate/negate the Swiss inflation. No bond nor fund that I know of does that.

You can mitigate the inflation happening in the countries using the currencies of the inflation linked bonds but if you are not spending in them, it does you little good and is more of a bet on unexpected inflation in those countries than a rightful protection.

1 Like

Even then, @Compounding do you understand what inflation linked bonds are?

They do not protect against inflation, they’re used to bet for/against inflation predictions. They performed very well recently because actual inflation was above the predicted inflation, but in the future even with high inflation, it doesn’t mean they’re better than e.g. bond (inflation could for example stay high, but be below the predicted rate).

2 Likes

Ah, thanks, not of much use for me then.

Any other real asset ETFs you’d know of (other than equity ETF)?

I guess not much apart from gold & commodities? REITs you’d count as equity, no?

Real assets would cover commodities (among which gold), probably unleveraged real estate (so no REITs, that usually have a large exposure to debt instruments), maybe artwork and collectibles and anything non-perishable that you can buy and won’t go out of fashion. Those either have volatile prices, are illiquid or both so aren’t perfect inflation hedges.

The usual longer term hedge against inflation are usually considered to be equities. As Swiss investors, we don’t have, to my knowledge, reliable short term instruments to hedge inflation.

Arguably, human capital or AHV/IV (depending on your stage of life/situation) would be good hedges, as salaries are often indexed on inflation and AHV/IV is.

Edit: scratch my former reply to @nabalzbhf (deleted to replace by this): indeed, as inflation linked bonds bought on the secondary market are subject to market expectations, they are not directly linked to actual inflation, though they allow to make a prediction of the amount of real currencies that will be available when they mature.

1 Like

Thanks, very helpful.

Are there any funds you’d know of?

Cre

Credit Risk, Commercial Bonds in CHF are not realy diversified that well…

I haven’t done active research on them so, no. I would actually be very surprised if real estate funds without the use of leverage existed, except maybe if they invested in agricultural land only.

1 Like

Hi, what ticker in IB do you use for isf please? From your link it shows approx. 9 gbp per share, but when I do it, it`s about 700??

Everybody is pinning their hopes for a 2024 crash! :wink:

That’s what many “big shots” were saying about 2023.
Just 24 days more until their crystal balls become marbles again. :grin:
(Although I wouldn’t mind another good buy opportunity soon)

Isn’t the rate on your leverage higher than your fixed income - wouldn’t it be more efficient to pay it down?

1 Like

If there is debt and interest expense wrapped up in the leveraged QLD product, isn’t that effectively off-setting and neutralising your Fixed income and associated diversification ?

And don’t you bear the cost of the interest rate spread as a result (interest rate charged on borrowing higher than interest rate received on deposits)

I am not familiar woth qld or leveraged products in general so sorry if it is a dumb question

1 Like