Mustachians, introduce yourselves!

Hi ziggy!

Watch out for that, take care of yourself and if you find out it won’t cut it, maybe look for a more sustainable job with lower stress and lower pay, that you’d work longer but would leave you with more of a life in the mean time. It’s all about living the most meaningful life possible in the end.

Rooting for you, rock this!

4 Likes

Thanks a lot @Wolverine, I appreciate your kind words! Words of wisdom. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Second that. It’s better to do things for a positive reason, than a negative reason. Retire to a good life, rather than from a bad job.

4 Likes

for the latter MORE than suffice :smiley:

3 Likes

Hi @PillePalle, sounds like you have it all figured out. So you don’t need an emergency fund, have a clear view how to deal with sudden job loss and how are you going to afford a second child? I would be interested to hear if your wife works and which percentage of your combined salaries you spend on the big 4: tax, housing, food and transport & travel or childrens’ needs (whatever is larger). Did you ever compare your budget with Budgetberatung
I think it could be an eye-opener, and maybe you introduced yourself to this group to get such nudges? Or is wife the more frugal one and you like to catch up? :smiley:

Anyway, welcome to this forum!

you sure you wanted to reply to me?

But if let me answer you.

So you don’t need an emergency fund

Don’t remember to have said something like that.

have a clear view how to deal with sudden job loss

Well i don’t have to worry about Job Loss. Nothing more secured in my life then my Job.

how are you going to afford a second child

do you know something i don’t know? because if not i don’t know where that second child stuff comes from. :sweat_smile: we got one and we’re pretty happy like that. Also if you know what a vasectomy is you know it will be pretty hard for me to get my wife pregnant again. but hey we try several times a week. :joy:

if your wife works

no need for here to work

tax

Last Year I paid around 24 give or take

housing

around 3500 each month

food and transport & travel or children

to much for food we are gourmets around here, transport my wife has a car i transport myself with a road bike and i couldn’t really tell you what we spend for the kid because that is not spending for us.

Did you ever compare your budget with

Nope because i never felt the need of doing so.

and maybe you introduced yourself to this group to get such nudges?

Na to be honest i introduced myself because i think is question of respect and to get some Hints on traders and 3a Säule Stuff.

Or is wife the more frugal one and you like to catch up?

Nope that’s why we go along so good together.

Hope this Helps. Cheers and have a nice one

1 Like

Hello everyone,

I am 37 years old and I will also to leave this capitalist system if possible. I invested during the start of the pandemic in investing in value 37K (Degiro). No mortgage loan for the moment, but I am starting to train in real estate (pdf, video, website).Given the prices of real estate in Geneva, I look in the other cantons. I hear a lot about France, but their tax system, response time, complexity, scares me a little.

Beside I make craft beer, guitar, etc. Looking forward to reading you

PS : my native language is french, I’m from Geneva

9 Likes

Hi everyone !

I discovered FIRE, the different Swiss bloggers and this community mid-2019. I remained mostly silent, but it’s now time to contribute.

I’m in my thirties, live in Switzerland. I did not receive any special financial education in my life. However, in my family we’re used to save money and live modestly (mainly because of the moderate salaries of my parents I suppose). A few years back I received my first real salaries. I paid my student loan in less than year, and then my bank account started to grow. That’s when I began searching for ways to invest it or at least do something with it (and I’m not talking about buying an expensive car or things like this).

In 2019, I bought a small flat and wanted to rend it to generate cashflow. My bank account was then empty, but started growing again. Then investing in the stock market came into sight. But it was scary. So I had to learn how it works. That is how I stumble upon FIRE, ETFs and other funny acronyms that you know already for sure since you’re here in this forum.

Anyway, starting mid-2019 I started tracking my spendings and money inflows in a Google Sheet. I calculated my saving rate and net worth. I reducing some bills, open free bank accounts and all the tips suggested by the Swiss bloggers out there. Finally in 2020 I started investing in the stock market.

Regarding my current figures, I can proudly say now that I crossed the 200k CHF Net Worth threshold in december 2020. Oh yeah! My saving rate for the year 2020 was 59%, it’ll be hard to keep up this year, but we’ll see. I invested 14k in 2020 and keep a sizable amount in cash for now, but I plan to invest it somewhere in 2021. I recently (this month actually) terminated my 3a contract with an insurance company, which made me loose 14k, omg, that was scary, but I’m finally out of this contract so it’s a good point.

I think I’m now on track and ready to achieve big goals in the future. I’m grateful to the FI community in Switzerland for giving me such good advices over the last year and a half. In january, I wanted to do more, so I created a newsletter where I share my path to my goal to reach 1M of Net Worth (and win back the money I lost with the 3a contract termination) ! It’ll first help me stay on track, and also it’ll allow those interested of you to follow my journey. It’s in French, and the link is here : https://fich.substack.com Any comment appreciated :slight_smile:

Being rich is a journey that takes time, it’s what I learned. So I’m in here for some years, and hope to have interesting discussions with some of you on our journey to FIRE. Thanks a lot for reading!

Arturo Fich

9 Likes

Welcome!

Getting rich takes time, staying rich additionally discipline. The mustachian way is a mindset that helps both accumalating wealth and becoming financially independent. You can then retire early or only work when you feel like it, in certain areas / projects or whatever… All decisions can then be taken without giving the financial aspect any weight (but keeping the 4% rule in mind)

3 Likes

Hello there
I live in Switzerland and am a great admirer of John Bogle who had a great influence on me. I invest according to his principles, except for timing due to my fear of investing too much before a bear market. I still do invest systematically (on a regular basis), but the amount is adjusted for market signals. I am looking for regular and serious updates on the markets (I like the memo of Howard Marks and Ray Dalio).
All the best,

4 Likes

Hey @uji … Welcome to Switzerland! I’ve just joined this forum but I’m also a Canadian that moved to Lausanne…but a few years ago ;). This forum has everything you could hope for, but drop me a line if you have a question specific to Canada:Switzerland…I may have already looked at it, already made a mistakes that you can avoid and if not either of those, I may have the same question :wink: . Cheers! JMH

2 Likes

Hi All,

Just in time for Spring, my turn: as it seems is quite common, I’ve also been a passive reader for a few years off and on and it’s overdue to be a (more) active contributor. My own path to FI started in…2010. While I’ve not at all wasted those 10+ years (I have some Mustachian tendencies by nature), I definitely could’ve made better decisions earlier than I have, had I invested more time for a more structured and thorough study. So as the saying goes: the second best time to start is today. I look forward to benefiting from the collective knowledge here, especially with exchanges on specific questions/topics in order to make the best decision for my version of Mustachianism. :grin:

Hopefully I can contribute positively as well, helping others avoid lessons I’ve learned through past mistakes (most of them classic ones already discussed at length in the forums). In this context (for specific question), I should say that I am a 43 y.o. Canadian born and bred, proudly naturalised Swiss for over 10 years and living in Swiss-Romand. While I’m still working out what I want in retirement, it will involve both Canada and Switzerland long term since my wife and 2 kids are here with the rest of my family is back in Canada.

Looking forward to many discussions!

Cheers, JMH

P.S. I couldn’t believe it when I saw “Grog”…as I’m just starting here I’m not sure if you are still around, but I owe you a big thank you! I read a bunch of your posts on MMM several years ago and I totally remember that you were the first one to help give me a kick in the butt…cheers man, you made a difference for me.

7 Likes

Yep still around, and yes it was a long time ago :grin:
I’m always available for a good kick in the butt :rofl: but thank you, i would not have imagined that I was helping somebody, and he would remember like 8 years later!

4 Likes

@grog helps when you keep the same handle :wink: … I think you were the first “voice” that resonated with my own thinking before I knew (still learning) what to think.

I’m getting my thoughts on paper for once and taking the time to formalise my strategy as I binge the MP Forums. Best way for me to ensure it gets done is to allow myself a few weeks of reading, writing, re-reading, re-writing.

I’d appreciate your opinion once i get there…

S-G what does it mean?
What is, Sandro Giacobbe? Impossible, Sandro does not posses the substance. Moreover he has a cape, at least he should be, what can I say, an illusionist, a contortionist…
Oh NO!!! he’s a superhero!!

3 Likes

ma no! e’ supergiovane!

3 Likes

I see I’m not the only “aged” member here…:wink:

3 Likes

You guessed it, matusa :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

never thought ma0 and weirded were italians / italian speaking.

I am so proud I have the signature of the great architect, when he signed it I confessed him “ti avrei voluto come padreeee!!!”

1 Like

He is an engineer (if we are talking about the same person)

Edit: you mean Mangoni, you’re right!

1 Like