Mustachian terms Legal Insurance in Switzerland

But like what are they going to do? (Insurance company) Write a fancy letter “from an attorney”? there has to be a limit of what they can do. You could probably to that yourself

If disputes with an employer land in front iof the “Arbeitsgericht” you as an employee will mostly always win. I guess maybe some legal fees are covered with insurance?

If you are afraid of disputes with landlord, make sure to rent from a Verwaltung where the property belongs to a pension fund or something. Not some shady individual person who lets say lives in the same building and haphazardly does the repairs himself… 3 months late

What kind of disputes are you guys having?

The legal protection insurance will basically cover all your lawyer costs (which could be substantial over here), should you need one in case of an insured event happening. Thankfully, so far I didn’t have to hire a lawyer, but I did call their hotline few times for legal counsel…

2 Likes

But is really all costs covered, or is it up to a certain amount. Say you are getting sued for 15Mil and they cover 10Mil. You are still screwed.

By the way the coverage is usually at best around 1million for cases in Switzerland/Europe. I noticed this can vary quite a lot, the cheapest insurances being around 300k.

You’re mixing things up. The amount for which you are sued (say CHF 100 thousand gazillions) is not insured under the legal protection policy. What the insurance company covers is the lawyer’s fee (and this is limited as per my policy to 1 mio CHF). That’s all. If you lose the legal case you still have to pay the amount for which you are being sued, but the lawyer’s fee is covered

2 Likes

I would just never ever get the Rechtsschutz at the same company where I have any other insurance policy.

I assume I would probably need it most to sue my Krankenkasse, Haftpflicht or whatever. In case it’s the same company, the Rechtsschutz is useless

I’ve never had a legal insurance nor ever had the need for one.
But I also know of people who get tangled up in disputes regularly. Oh the energy.
Employer, landlord, … I can walk away when I want.
That’s my protection. Less lost nerves than a drawn-out legal dispute.
The only time to require a good lawyer IMO is possibly during a divorce, and that’s usually not covered by these insurances.

3 Likes

I consider getting a law insurance. but i read alot about them varying widely in quality and price. Does anyone have good experience? please list here!

what i found so far (all german)

i got highly recommended to require free choice of attorney, and what you read from this limited literature is that the contract conditions vary significantly, so you better compare them in detail. the kassensturz has a nice overview in it’s pdf table
they also write that there is the ever-lasting conflict of interest between the client who wants to go to court and the insurance that waives in case of suboptimal prospects for success

This related thread was started yesterday.

Maybe if you buy/sell a lot on FB Marketplace?

Next to landlord/renting-related disputes, as I took it out next to car insurance, I assume that is another class of cases where it could get applied - traffic-related disputes.
For 250 chf/year, I concluded it didn’t make sense to make any fuss about it.

As always, YMMV - if one sees no personal life domains where it could get handy (e.g. bulletproof relationship with the landlords or even owning a home, no active participation in traffic etc.), I assume that lower risk could be not worth insuring for them.

1 Like

I have the one from FRC : La protection juridique FRC globale – Fédération romande des consommateurs
It is the one from the Consumer Federation which is a guarantee of good behaviour, I hope. It costs 230.- including the membership thus you get their magazine which I personally appreciate.

I used to have the one from Generali and used it. I was glad to have it when I had to deal with a dishonest company doing work at home.

I want to revive this topic as I’m thinking about getting one. Protekta from Mobiliar or Dextra.

Any final conclusions on this whole thing?

For my part I stayed with Protekta as their price/service seem to me fair. I was told that Dextra would be the “better” legal insurance in town but of course costs more…

1 Like

I was considering taking Smile.Home.
I had 1 issue with my landlord last year and could have covered the lawyer cost. Same for my company when they tried to impose 3 forced holidays. A colleague had Groupe Mutuel to send a letter to state the law and it was enough for them to drop the request.

1 Like

I have one from TCS both for Car and for Home, I got it for a cheap price as a special offer last year but I really wonder if it makes sense to keep it.

This might be a little outdated but it was second-best back then.

Dextra won the test.

After reading the comments I’m not sure if anyone of those is actually good enough to justify the price.

I am my own lawyer :upside_down_face:

A legal insurance make sense the day when you need it, otherwise is just throwing your money out of a window. Neverthless, some insurance like AXA won’t use their jurist or lawyer to go in court, they will use one of their legal firm provider to do it. In addition, I think that the premium is less expensive than Allianz, Protekta, and other legal insurance.

Just make sure to understand when and in which field your legal insurance can be used. For example, if you want to get divorced, none of them will cover you.

1 Like

As are all insurances, or? :rofl:

How would you know “in advance” when you might need it?
If a dispute already commences, it could be “too late” to get one, no?

1 Like

Of course :upside_down_face:

I supposed that every legal insurance describe their legal field where they will help you in case you have a problem.

Field that are in general cover are: circulation, employment, tenant & lease, travel, health insurance.

Of course, they won’t take in charge something that has already happened, like other insurance that don’t take care you teeths problems if you have some before signing with them.

In that case, you have to take a lawyer of to do it by yourself if you aren’t afraid to do it by yourself.