Mustachian sports and gym

I can’t believe I’ve missed this.

In Switzerland, we have Vita Trails near most towns which provide me with all the bodyweight facilities I need, for free.

If the problem is motivation, check out Steve Kamb’s “Level up your life” book. He’s as much into mindset and nutrition than actual strength training. I’ve found a lot of Mr Money Mustache’s vibe in his approach.

If what you need is a community, the NerdFitness forum is full of lovable nerds supporting each others. Some are real pros able to help you craft your workout and your routine and help you stick to it.

If you need a more defined framework, their paying “Prime” offer includes coach supervised challenges, a dedicated progression program (the Academy, with either a bodyweight or free weight path) and a facebook group (among other features).

I’m not providing links because I’m not sure if promotion for other sites is welcome but I’ve been using their free forums for a few years and I would 100% recommend them. Also, Nerdiness + Fitness = Awesome!

As I could not go to the gym anymore since March, I invested in a kettlebell to test it at home…and WOW this was great.

I now have a whole set of kettlebells (4kg, 8kg, 2x 16kg and 24kg), an ab-wheel, a resistant band and a “powercube” for push&pull exercises.

Initial investment was a tad high ~600.- but I have recently canceled my fitness subscription and I don’t see myself going back there anyway. All in all a great ROI!

4 Likes

Since my gym is closed I started with Freeletics and now I’m going to add a PowerCube, cool, thanks @Oliv for sharing!

Edit: ok obviously sold out everywhere,

Y’all need Pamela in your life:

In all seriousness, these 20-30min workout routines on youtube are great.
Just don’t get upset if you can’t nail all exercises the first time around… :sweat_smile:

I still think for cardio running is really good. If you need help getting motivated and getting correct running form maybe join a local running club (sometimes part of “Turnverein” or something similar). Many places, especially larger cities, have them and you maybe pay around 150-200CHF a year. And often you get discounts on other activities (skiing, hiking, snowshoeing) or sports stores with that membership.

2 Likes

I use a Nintendo Switch and the “Ring Fit Adventure” game for 20mins almost every day since about 60 days. Longest sport activity I kept up in my life…

Did you ever try to add weights? (e.g. on your wrists, ankles or on the ring itself)
Or is there no problem that the exercises become too easy after a while?

Not sure if you’re question was directed to me but the difficulty (e.g. stronger/more enemies) automatically adjusts according to your pulse so you always end up with a elevated heart frequency.

Kettlebell + elastic band, definitely YES! It’s amazing what you can do with your own body weight and these accessories.

As for the powercube I’m really interested. What did you get and where? I have a small apartment so I cannot use much of the bedroom real estate.

1 Like

I read this article on Galaxus and immediately bought it. It doesn’t take too much space so it is well suited for any room.

But as per @SwissTeslaBull’s comment, it seems it is sold out everywhere.

If you are interested about something similar to the PowerCube please look at this product: [Précommande] Levitate Bar Eric Flag – Eric Flag

I purchased it before the “second lockdown” and use it when I don’t go to the crossfit. You can do pull up with the high of the bar.

2 Likes

hi all
me joining the fitness people due to prolonged home-office, where before the basis of my physical well-being was 20-30 minutes of rather intensive cycling to and from work every day.

as a mid-30-ager, i naturally go jogging, but everything north of my tights and needs some attention. I think about health, robustness, injury prevention but certainly not re-buying all my tailored shirts :laughing:

As an experiment, I signed up in a gym and got a CHF 120 per sessions personal trainer to get me started, but obviously this is not going to be continued for mustachian reasons.

from reading the thread i really got interested in the body-weight stuff, getting the freelethics abo or something similar, just to give me a plan, goals, and performance data review. I also think in the direction of that cube, kettlebells & elastic bands, but its just an idea.

have there any grops been formed?^^

(I know this is an old topic but…)

I also couldn’t swim and hated swimming. I took lessons a few years ago and learned to swim and now love it.

I would highly recommend that you learn. Once you get good, if you have a body of natural water nearby, you can swim for free (I swim in the river).

I also hated running - and still do, but this is the easiest exercise to do as you just need to put on shoes and go. But I have to say, once you get started and get over the ‘hump’ running is OK. A trick is to get yourself dropped off far away from home and then you have no choice but to go back.

You can also do simple body weight exercises at home e.g. push ups etc. but I find it hard to motivate myself to do this.

Or you could do what I do, which is what made me learn to swim and force myself to run in the first place: sign up for a triathlon with somebody to force yourself and have something to aim for.

I hated running as well. What helped me was to set a goal of running a half marathon next year. After a few weeks of “pain”, I can’t wait to put my runbing shoes on and go for a run. What also helos is taking my dog with me as a companion, even tough for him it’s not really a challenge :laughing:

1 Like

I can „swim“ but its like a duck and has nothing to do with „sport“. :smiley:

I do running, cheap, quick and effective, with some yoga/meditation/workout at home.

Hint: check Headspace and Freeletics, both for free if you already have Revolut Premium/Metal

I think this is what makes running addictive. If you were like me and was so unfit that I wasn’t even able run around the block once - then after the initial few weeks of pain, progress is quick and visible, so it helps motivate you to build on that.

When I started I breathed so heavily after 1 km like a pig on the way to get slaughtered. Now 4 months later I can easily run 10km in less than an hour and I feel energised afterwards.

1 Like

Hello, I can’t remember if you live in the French or German part of Switzerland. If you live in the French part or understand the lingua gué, this “influencer” with a degree in economics from the University of Lausanne has taken the path of entrepreneurship and online coaching in the field of calisthenics and well-being. He offers several top-notch programs that I’ve tried out, as well as a range of equipment: https://ericflag.com/

During the covid, since my crossfit gym was closed, I ordered some equipment from him and it’s top quality, I’m still using it today.

Good luck and good sport!

I am actually looking into freeletics now. The musacian I am - I see the 12 months subscription for CHF 140. I also see the Revolut remium subscription for CHF ~110/y, offering freeletics access and on top NordVPN which i have be interested in but never bothered to buy. And some other perks that are not so interesting for me.

anyone has experience with using freeletics or other perks via revolut?^^